Old 09-12-2004, 06:52 PM
Bella

Default Newsgroup question

Hi,

Is there a newsgroup which would allow me to post a plant picture as an
attachment? I don't have the know-how to set up my own web page or Blog.

Thank you,
Bella

Old 09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Phil L

Bella wrote:
:: Hi,
::
:: Is there a newsgroup which would allow me to post a plant picture
:: as an attachment? I don't have the know-how to set up my own web
:: page or Blog.
::
:: Thank you,
:: Bella

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
No one can stop you from posting to any of the picture groups, but it will
possibly violate their charters if you do, the one mentioned above is
specifically for gardens (unsurprisingly!)
Search through your newsgroup list for it and if it's not there, just search
for binaries.pictures....you'll probably find one that suits your needs.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Peter Stockdale

"Bella" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there a newsgroup which would allow me to post a plant picture as an
attachment? I don't have the know-how to set up my own web page or Blog.

Thank you,
Bella

Ah, but if you post to another group, we here would not have the pleasure of
seeing your piccy here !
Why not set up a MSN group (or similar) -post the piccy to that and let us
know the url.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 10-12-2004, 11:49 AM
David Hill

alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics that are to big
to open comfortably without broadband.
If you post pics there that are of interest to this group then please post
here to tell us what you have posted and where.

I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the above site, so
you can see what I mean.

--
David Hill

www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Old 10-12-2004, 12:50 PM
Mike Lyle

David Hill wrote:
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics that are
to big to open comfortably without broadband.
If you post pics there that are of interest to this group then

please
post here to tell us what you have posted and where.

I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the above
site, so you can see what I mean.

Is it just me, or does Google Groups not fully recognise abpg? I
can't get in.

Mike.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Phil L

Mike Lyle wrote:
:: David Hill wrote:
::: alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
:::
::: This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics that
::: are to big to open comfortably without broadband.
::: If you post pics there that are of interest to this group then
::: please post here to tell us what you have posted and where.
:::
::: I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the above
::: site, so you can see what I mean.
::
:: Is it just me, or does Google Groups not fully recognise abpg? I
:: can't get in.
::
:: Mike.

Google groups doesn't handle binaries, only text, you need a dedicated news
server...some ISP's provide a news service, some do not, there are free ones
but they can be flakey at best, one such is:
news.usenetzone.com
you can sign up for free, they email you a username and password and then
you access the groups through outlook express as normal.

HTH

Old 10-12-2004, 04:21 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: Mike Lyle wrote:
:::: David Hill wrote:
::::: alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
:::::
::::: This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics that
::::: are to big to open comfortably without broadband.
::::: If you post pics there that are of interest to this group then
::::: please post here to tell us what you have posted and where.
:::::
::::: I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the
::::: above site, so you can see what I mean.
::::
:::: Is it just me, or does Google Groups not fully recognise abpg? I
:::: can't get in.
::::
:::: Mike.
::
:: Google groups doesn't handle binaries, only text, you need a
:: dedicated news server...some ISP's provide a news service, some do
:: not, there are free ones but they can be flakey at best, one such
:: is:
:: news.usenetzone.com
:: you can sign up for free, they email you a username and password
:: and then you access the groups through outlook express as normal.
::
::
:: HTH

upon closer inspection, it seems you are with tiscali? - they use
newsindividual.net, abpg should be in your newsgroup list

Old 10-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Mike Lyle

Phil L wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
David Hill wrote:
[...]

No, news.individual + OE. I was just using Gg because I'm not
subscribed: I'd forgotten it was a binary-free zone -- thanks.

Mike.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Peter Stockdale

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
David Hill wrote:
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics that are
to big to open comfortably without broadband.
If you post pics there that are of interest to this group then

please
post here to tell us what you have posted and where.

I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the above
site, so you can see what I mean.

Is it just me, or does Google Groups not fully recognise abpg? I
can't get in.

Mike.

Surprisingly no problem getting David's pictures using news.btopenworld.com
They tend to be a bit mean with binaries access sometimes.
Can't you try another feed, Mike ?

Pete

Old 10-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Phil L

:: On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:21:21 GMT, "Phil L"
:: wrote:
::
::: Phil L wrote:
::::: Mike Lyle wrote:
::::::: David Hill wrote:
:::::::: alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
::::::::
:::::::: This is a good site to post to, but please don't post pics
:::::::: that are to big to open comfortably without broadband.
:::::::: If you post pics there that are of interest to this group
:::::::: then please post here to tell us what you have posted and
:::::::: where.
::::::::
:::::::: I,ve just posted pics of tree dahlias taken yesterday on the
:::::::: above site, so you can see what I mean.
:::::::
[...]
:: One of the beauties of news.individual.net is that it doesn't have
:: binary groups and strips binary attachments off newsgroup posts.
:: --
:: Martin

In that case a dedicated binary server is the only option...I'm with
Blueyonder and until recently we had three binary servers and one text, the
3 have been amalgamated into one but retention is poor.
Havingsaid that I find it much easier and quicker to get mp3's, videos and
DVDs from the news servers rather than using P2P.

Old 10-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Peter Stockdale

wrote:

Phil L wrote:
:: Mike Lyle wrote:
:::: David Hill wrote:
[...]

Correct abpg not available on indiv. but additionally( to openworld) it is
available on news.virgin.net.

Pete

Old 11-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Bella

Thanks for all your replies. Tiscali, my ISP, doesn't appear to include
alt.binaries.pictures.gardens in its list of available newsgroups, nor am I
able to find or download news.usenetzone.com. Therefore as suggested,
perhaps I should try posting pictures on MSN or Yahoo.

Bella
---
Phil L" replied in a message.
snip

Old 11-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Phil L

Bella wrote:
:: Thanks for all your replies. Tiscali, my ISP, doesn't appear to
:: include alt.binaries.pictures.gardens in its list of available
:: newsgroups, nor am I able to find or download news.usenetzone.com.
:: Therefore as suggested, perhaps I should try posting pictures on
:: MSN or Yahoo.
::
:: Bella

If you get stuck, this is the address for usenetzone:

http://www.usenetzone.com/

It seems to be a russian site but there is an English language section, you
just fill in a from with your existing email address and country of
residence and they send you a username and password to log on, I have it as
a backup in case the Blueyonder servers go down.

HTH