Old 21-07-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Newsgroup question

On Jul 21, 11:07 pm, Sacha wrote:

Which girlfriend?! He went through quite a few. ;-)

Susan something
As to why Guernsey,
storyline, perhaps? Some episodes were set in France (though not
necessarily shot there) so was there one shot in Guernsey?

Location, location,
location. ;-)

Alright then Kirstie, we know.

Judith

Old 21-07-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 11:12 pm, Martin wrote:
Probably the one who became Mamia in Eastenders.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Yes, Yes, Yes, give that man a lb of Jersey potatoes.

Judith

Old 21-07-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/7/07 20:29, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

" wrote in
message
ups.com...
On Jul 21, 6:28 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/07 18:20, in article
, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

"OG" wrote in message

"Susan" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 18:52:47 -0000, "Bella"

wrote:

Hi,

Is there a newsgroup which would allow me to post a plant picture
as
an
attachment? I don't have the know-how to set up my own web page or
Blog.

Thank you,
Bella

I don't suppose Bella is still waiting for an answer - see the OP
posting
date

I don't need to look at it again!

But in response - Flickr and Picasaweb are both easy to sign up for
and
post pictures to.

Yes but that's not what Susan asked for - she specified a newsgroup
which
allowed attachments.

She asked for it in 2004, hence the remark that she's probably not
still
hanging around. V. strange.

Very astute of you M'Lady, did you go to Detective School?

Please do not let us start another bickering!

What ARE you talking about, Alan? We're joking, joshing but certainly not
bickering!

Sorry, I obviously got the wrong end of the stick, but there has been a lot
of bickering in one of these newsgroups, and I'd really forgotten who was
arguing with who!

Will you forgive me, please!

Old 22-07-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/07 23:39, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 21/7/07 20:29, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

" wrote in
message
ups.com...
On Jul 21, 6:28 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 21/7/07 18:20, in article
, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Silly person! Of course. But just hold our horses a bit in future, eh?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-07-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"OG" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

wrote:

Hi,

Is there a newsgroup which would allow me to post a plant picture as an
attachment? I don't have the know-how to set up my own web page or
Blog.

Thank you,
Bella

I don't suppose Bella is still waiting for an answer - see the OP
posting date

I don't need to look at it again!

But in response - Flickr and Picasaweb are both easy to sign up for and
post pictures to.

Yes but that's not what Susan asked for - she specified a newsgroup which
allowed attachments.

Indeed, but I'm willing to bet sixpence to a shilling that she's more
interested in posting a picture 'somewhere', rather than specifically on a
newsgroup.

I'm not a mind-reader, I only reply to what's asked :-)

Mary

Old 22-07-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/07 10:45, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 00:43:09 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 21/7/07 23:12, in article
,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 23:07:10 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 21/7/07 22:56, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jul 21, 10:57 pm, Sacha wrote:

Me and Bergerac. ;-) Wish I could claim special powers but ...

I was on a flight back from Guernsey many years ago and John Nettles
and the woman who played his girlfriend sat opposite me, I wonder why
they were filming in Guernsey?

Which girlfriend?! He went through quite a few. ;-) As to why Guernsey,
storyline, perhaps? Some episodes were set in France (though not
necessarily shot there) so was there one shot in Guernsey? There's a
military cemetery in Fort George in Guernsey and I have a faint memory of
that coming into an episode though I might be wrong. Location, location,
location. ;-)

Probably the one who became Mamia in Eastenders.

?? Who?

A good question :-)

It should have been Mama Mia

Rosa Dimarco - Louise Jameson
http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/char...cter_rosa_dm.s
html

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0417062/
In Bergerac Susan Young (36 episodes, 1985-1990)

Ah yes, that one! ;-) She was an estate agent IIRC. Her 'office' exterior
was a real estate agent's just by the Royal Square, I think.

Old 22-07-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote:

[...]

I work in designing computer systems, and I know that very often people
describe their needs in terms of what they think the solution should be
rather than describing their needs in terms of what they want to do.

A bit like when people go to the doctor 'for a prescription'.

Old 22-07-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I still wouldn't make assumptions about people's intentions, I give them
more credit than that.

And I've worked in the community, at Citizen's Advice Bureau, so I don't
need lessons about interpreting questions.

Old 22-07-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

wrote:

[...]

I don't 'assume' either, what I try to do is offer alternatives. :-)

Old 22-07-2007, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:32:14 +0100, "OG" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t.net...

wrote:

[...]

IME computer system designers get it wrong far more often than their
customers
do, especially with big systems.

I can't dispute that big systems are very hard to get right. However, few
big systems have a single coherent 'customer' which makes the design a
compromise between competing (and often contradictory) sets of requirements.
It's a fascinating area, but probably OT for here.

Instead of continuing the discussion, I'll finish with a fairly well known
piece from the internet
"If architects were treated like sysem designers"
Dear Mr. Architect:

Please design and build me a house. I am not quite sure of what I need, so
you should use your discretion. My house should have somewhere between two
and forty-five bedrooms. Just make sure the plans are such that the bedrooms
can be easily added or deleted. When you bring the blueprints to me, I will
make the final decision of what I want. Also, bring me the cost breakdown
for each configuration so that I can arbitrarily pick one.

Keep in mind that the house I ultimately choose must cost less than the one
I am currently living in. Make sure, however, that you correct all the
deficiencies that exist in my current house (the floor of my kitchen
vibrates when I walk across it, and the walls don't have nearly enough
insulation in them).

As you design, also keep in mind that I want to keep yearly maintenance
costs as low as possible. This should mean the incorporation of extra-cost
features like aluminum, vinyl, or composite siding. (If you choose not to
specify aluminum, be prepared to explain your decision in detail.)

Please take care that modern design practices and the latest materials are
used in construction of the house, as I want it to be a showplace for the
most up-to-date ideas and methods. Be alerted, however, that kitchen should
be designed to accommodate, among other things, my 1952 Gibson refrigerator.

To insure that you are building the correct house for our entire family,
make certain that you contact each of our children, and also our in-laws. My
mother-in-law will have very strong feelings about how the house should be
designed, since she visits us at least once a year. Make sure that you weigh
all of these options carefully and come to the right decision. I, however,
retain the right to overrule any choices that you make.

Please don't bother me with small details right now. Your job is to develop
the overall plans for the house: get the big picture. At this time, for
example, it is not appropriate to be choosing the color of the carpet.

However, keep in mind that my wife likes blue.

Also, do not worry at this time about acquiring the resources to build the
house itself. Your first priority is to develop detailed plans and
specifications. Once I approve these plans, however, I would expect the
house to be under roof within 48 hours.

While you are designing this house specifically for me, keep in mind that
sooner or later I will have to sell it to someone else. It therefore should
have appeal to a wide variety of potential buyers. Please make sure before
you finalize the plans that there is a consensus of the population in my
area that they like the features this house has. I advise you to run up and
look at my neighbor's house he constructed last year. We like it a great
deal. It has many features that we would also like in our new home,
particularly the 75-foot swimming pool. With careful engineering, I believe
that you can design this into our new house without impacting the final
cost.

Please prepare a complete set of blueprints. It is not necessary at this
time to do the real design, since they will be used only for construction
bids. Be advised, however, that you will be held accountable for any
increase of construction costs as a result of later design changes.

You must be thrilled to be working on as an interesting project as this! To
be able to use the latest techniques and materials and to be given such
freedom in your designs is something that can't happen very often. Contact
me as soon as possible with your complete ideas and plans.

PS: My wife has just told me that she disagrees with many of the
instructions I've given you in this letter. As architect, it is your
responsibility to resolve these differences. I have tried in the past and
have been unable to accomplish this. If you can't handle this
responsibility, I will have to find another architect.