Old 17-12-2004, 05:53 PM
Janet Bennett

Default O/T Quiz - Help

Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat
O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit
A.P. this is really choice
P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef
M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it
O German rubbish food
U variety of black potato

Janet

Old 17-12-2004, 06:24 PM
June Hughes

In message , Janet Bennett
writes
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat
O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit
A.P. this is really choice
P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef
M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it
O German rubbish food
U variety of black potato

T.I.o.t.C = The Icing on the Cake

I am sure A.P. can't just be Apple Pie.

H.D. may possibly be Hors D'Oevres?

--
June Hughes
Old 17-12-2004, 06:29 PM
June Hughes

In message , Janet Bennett
writes
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat
O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit
A.P. this is really choice
P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef
M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it
O German rubbish food
U variety of black potato

U = Ulla?
--
June Hughes
Old 17-12-2004, 06:34 PM
June Hughes

In message , Janet Bennett
writes
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat
O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit
A.P. this is really choice
P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef
M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it
O German rubbish food
U variety of black potato

Surely A.S.M. Can't be A Square Meal?
--
June Hughes
Old 17-12-2004, 11:53 PM
anton

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.P. this is really choice

I agree- but also

Is apple pie too obvious?

--
Anton

Old 18-12-2004, 06:16 AM
Alan Gould

In article , June Hughes
writes

T.I.o.t.C = The Icing on the Cake

I am sure A.P. can't just be Apple Pie.

H.D. may possibly be Hors D'Oevres?

A.P. could be A Peach

Potato M could be Maxine, Marfona, Mimi or Manna.

A.S.M. A Spliced Mainbrace.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 18-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Kay

In article , anton
writes

"Janet Bennett" wrote in message
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.P. this is really choice

I agree- but also

Is apple pie too obvious?

Could be 'a plum' or 'a peach'.
--
Kay

Old 18-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Janet Bennett

Thanks for your help
Found the Black Potato - its Urenika

Old 18-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Sacha

On 17/12/04 17:53, in article , "Janet
Bennett" wrote:

Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat

A square meal - comes from the square trays the largest meal of the day was
served on.

O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit

The icing on the cake
A.P. this is really choice

A Peach

P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef

Hmmm, there's a Black Russian cake invented for Pushkin so wild guess -
Pushkin Bundt

M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description

Hot Dog.

P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it

Pork Pie Hat

O German rubbish food

U variety of black potato

Does Shetland Black have another name?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Cerumen

"Janet Bennett" wrote in
message ...
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat

A square meal? All salt meat?
T.I.o.t.C the best bit

The icing on the cake
A.P. this is really choice

Apple pie? (american slant maybe?)

M. potato variety from the Netherlands

Marfona
H.D. fortunately offends trade description

Hot Dog?
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it

Pork Pie Hat

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 18-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Sacha

On 18/12/04 13:30, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:31:57 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

snip

Does Shetland Black have another name?

Pony? :-)

Neigh.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Brian

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat

Surely A.S.M. Can't be A Square Meal?

Could be. They ate weevily ship's biscuit, which could well be cut in
squares.

Janet

I believe [have read] this to have been an original definition of
the expression, as the biscuits were square but can find no Oxford or
Roget's confirmation.
Regards Brian.

Old 18-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Bob Hobden

"June Hughes" wrote
after Janet Bennett
writes
Please could someone help me solve the following :

All associated with food and drink -
eg. A.P.o.C easy for the RAF - Answer A Piece of Cake
Q.o.H. Royal Pastry Cook - Answer Queen of Hearts
C.t.B. Creative accounting - Answer Cooking the Books

Any help with the following would be much appreciated:

A.S.M. what a 19th century sailor would eat
O.t.F the 19th century sailor would be fortunate to
get
this meal
T.I.o.t.C the best bit
A.P. this is really choice
P.B. dessert concocted by French Railway Chef
M. potato variety from the Netherlands
H.D. fortunately offends trade description
P.P.H. astonished person still wouldn't eat it
O German rubbish food
U variety of black potato

Surely A.S.M. Can't be A Square Meal?
--

A.S.M ...Quite right, in those days they had little room to sit and eat on
board ship and had square wooden plates to take up less room.

--
Regards
Bob