Old 07-11-2002, 10:34 PM
K Davies

Default Ecological Footprint Quiz

Ecological Footprint Quiz
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Go to this web site to figure out how many planets we would need if
everyone on Earth lived the way you do.

KD

Old 08-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Don Staples

"K Davies" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ecological Footprint Quiz
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Go to this web site to figure out how many planets we would need if
everyone on Earth lived the way you do.

KD

Apparently we all need to be third worlders.

Old 08-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Daniel B. Wheeler

K Davies wrote in message link.net...
Ecological Footprint Quiz
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Go to this web site to figure out how many planets we would need if
everyone on Earth lived the way you do.

Took the quiz, Karl. If everyone lived the way I did, it would require
3.5 worlds according to the quiz: better than the estimated 8-9 worlds
the average of people in my area live, but still high.

OTOH, the quiz didn't register how many acres of trees I grow or am
responsible for inoculating with mycorrhizal fungi (nearly 1,000) nor
what my ability to exist with those trees are (an oversight?).

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
Old 08-11-2002, 08:43 PM
Larry Caldwell

In article . net,
writes:

Ecological Footprint Quiz
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Go to this web site to figure out how many planets we would need if
everyone on Earth lived the way you do.

Interesting. I own 5.5x as much land as the program says I use, and if
you add in the family donation land claim, my whole family owns about 15x
as much land as the program says we use.

I guess we're saving it from you clustered little buggers.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc
Old 09-11-2002, 07:03 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...
In article . net,
writes:

Ecological Footprint Quiz
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

Go to this web site to figure out how many planets we would need if
everyone on Earth lived the way you do.

Interesting. I own 5.5x as much land as the program says I use, and if
you add in the family donation land claim, my whole family owns about 15x
as much land as the program says we use.

I guess we're saving it from you clustered little buggers.

And those of us who are growing long-term forests are probably
reducing the global CO2 concentrations more than any other single
group of people in the world.

Wish the government would start issuing tree farmers and foresters (I
mean people who actually are growing trees here vs. those only cutting
trees) some legal credits for our efforts, instead of just trying to
tax us more...

Old 11-11-2002, 08:03 AM
Daniel B. Wheeler

Larry Caldwell wrote in message t...
In article ,
writes:

Yes, there are many government programs which can reduce taxes. But
why are they there in the first place?

Mostly to encourage people to grow trees.

Tree farmers and timber managers are (I believe) mostly in the
business for the long term. I know that on my own 80 acres of
family-managed forest, I am unlikely to get any timber off the
property in my lifetime. That means the land will be clearcut after my
death, probably to pay for inheritance taxes.

Is this wise timber management by taxes?

Assuming you live at least another 10 years, if you have over a million
dollars worth of timber on your 80 acres, you probably should have been
doing some selective logging. If you estate is less than a million
bucks, there won't be much in the way of inheritance taxes. As for what
happens to land after you are dead, it's none of your business. We don't
really own anything, we just use it for a while and pass it on. Don't be
surprised if your hoard of valuables gets dispersed after you die.

To true, Larry. After growing trees for 80 years, they are, _by
governmental decree_ clearcut. That's a great way to inspire people to
grow trees for the future.

Since landowners are members of society and use services just like
everyone else, I think we can justifiably tax them.

To my knowledge, tree farmers are among the very few people (including
oyster growers) who decrease the CO2 content of the atmosphere. If we
are serious about decreasing atmospheric CO2, revision of tax laws
might be one of the best long-term incentives we can make for the
future.

My grandmother sold a square mile near Coos Bay shortly before she
died. It had old-growth California mytle trees on it: some 8 feet in
diameter, in a tiny protected low-land area. Within a week after
selling it, the whole acreage was clearcut, including these trees
which were quite possibly 200 years old or older.

I'm not sure who it hurt more to see that property sell: her or her
heirs. It seems to me that government is in collusion with logging
interests to clearcut all property within 100 years: at least that
which is privately held. "And sons, I'd like to show you your legacy:
see this stump over here?"