Old 21-12-2004, 09:37 AM
Pam Moore

Default Tree Dahlia

Thewhite-flowered Tree Dahlia (imperialis) which I mentioned flowering
at Abbotsbury recently, has made the local (Weymouth) newspaper.
Today I had a phone call from the friend who took me to Abbotsbury, to
read me the item.
The Tree Dhlia originates from Mexico and has obviously been in the
gardens for a few years, but does not often flower, according to the
garden's curator, Stephen Griffiths.
I am still no wiser about the different colours you mentioned; Sacha's
gold and David Hill's pink. Has anyone any more info?
Season's greetings to all.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:13:51 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 21/12/04 9:37 am, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

Thewhite-flowered Tree Dahlia (imperialis) which I mentioned flowering
at Abbotsbury recently, has made the local (Weymouth) newspaper.
Today I had a phone call from the friend who took me to Abbotsbury, to
read me the item.
The Tree Dhlia originates from Mexico and has obviously been in the
gardens for a few years, but does not often flower, according to the
garden's curator, Stephen Griffiths.
I am still no wiser about the different colours you mentioned; Sacha's
gold and David Hill's pink. Has anyone any more info?
Season's greetings to all.

I must have missed something, somewhere. Our tree Dahlia is a single pink
when flowering, not gold. David Hill's is a lovely double pink and much
more interesting, IMO. Our guess is that ours is the species because (IIRC)
Philips & Rix show it and their pic is identical to what we have. But for a
white one, look at
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/cgi/g...y?q=asteraceae
and scroll down to the appropriate link.
Ours is much more like the one in this link:
http://www.wgltd.co.uk/edenimperialis.html

Sacha, I was going by this post from Bob Hobden...........
Well mine doesn't flower, ever.
According to Ray at Hill House, where I obtained it, it needs to get
up to
the roof of his large greenhouse, about 18ft, before it flowers and
then it
has goldy coloured blooms I'm told.
You say the one you saw in flower had white flowers, and David Hill
said a
few months ago his has pink flowers, and both of them flower at a much
smaller size (half size) than the Hill House ones.
So, three varieties of one species? Hybrids? Anyone know?

Ours has been out in the garden for the last few years and survived
the
winters, but no chance of a flower, nice architectural plant though.
Regards
Bob
In Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:22:01 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

I'd like to suggest that if David Hill has the stock, urglers get this plant
from him and try it out in their various locations. It's remarkably lovely,
in our opinion and it would be very interesting to do a sort of mini-urgle
survey on how it does where and when. Up to David, of course but this is a
superb plant, IOO.

OK then David! If you have the stock here is the first order! One
for me please.......but I have no greenhouse!

Pam in Bristol

Old 21-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote
Our Dahlia imperialis
is single flowered and pink and to be frank, rather dull except for its
immense height. ((snip))

Well blow me, I could have sworn either yourself or Ray told me it was goldy
coloured. Sorry if I have confused anyone (other than myself that is!) :-)

Old 22-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Pam Moore

Have a look at this site (from Google Images)
http://tinyurl.com/6cng8
It shows a white and a pink flower!

Pam in Bristol

Tree dahlia Update Dave Hill United Kingdom 1 17-11-2007 12:25 AM
Aftercare for Dahlia Tree caposmum United Kingdom 2 05-11-2007 09:49 AM
Dahlia Tree castles Gardening 2 05-06-2003 11:44 PM
(AD) Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 1 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Dahlia World Starlord Gardening 0 06-02-2003 09:23 PM