Old 22-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Janet Galpin

Default Success with Kiwis?

I would like to have a go at growing kiwi fruits in South Lincolnshire
against a south-facing wall. What are my chances of obtaining a
reasonable crop?
The variety Jenny is often on offer though I believe the fruit are quite
small. Is this the best one to try or are there any new varieties that
give bigger crops?
I would be grateful for any experiences of growing kiwis that anyone has had.

Janet G
Old 22-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Martin Brown

Janet Galpin wrote:

I would like to have a go at growing kiwi fruits in South Lincolnshire
against a south-facing wall. What are my chances of obtaining a
reasonable crop?
The variety Jenny is often on offer though I believe the fruit are quite
small. Is this the best one to try or are there any new varieties that
give bigger crops?
I would be grateful for any experiences of growing kiwis that anyone has had.

Have you seen one growing? - they are pretty brutal. Or do you like Kiwi
fruit a lot? I suspect you will get lots of leaves and few if any ripe
fruit at UK latitiudes.

Figs, nectarines or peaches would be a better bet. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I used to get three or four carrier bagfuls every year in north London. Not
big fruit but more than respectable eating. I can't remember the variety, it
wasn't self fertile, there was a pair of them. It rampaged all the way along
the rear on my house and provided good shade in summer.
I'm growing a self fertile one now along my garage wall in N Cambridgeshire,
it seems much less enthusiastic but has been there only since last spring

Have a go.

Old 22-12-2004, 03:52 PM
Victoria Clare

Janet Galpin wrote in
:

I would like to have a go at growing kiwi fruits in South Lincolnshire
against a south-facing wall. What are my chances of obtaining a
reasonable crop?
The variety Jenny is often on offer though I believe the fruit are
quite small. Is this the best one to try or are there any new
varieties that give bigger crops?
I would be grateful for any experiences of growing kiwis that anyone
has had.

They are very easy to grow - in fact a bit thuggish - can cope with dry
stony soil - are more difficult to get to flower and fruit.

Most varieties are male and female - Jenny is widely offered because it's
self-fertile.

Old 22-12-2004, 06:24 PM
JennyC

wrote in message
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:52:16 +0000, Victoria Clare
wrote:

Most varieties are male and female - Jenny is widely offered because it's
self-fertile.

The Jenny, who posts here? ITWSBT
Martin

No not me, no offspring produced :~)
Jenny

Old 23-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Brian Watson

"Oxymel of Squill" wrote in message
I used to get three or four carrier bagfuls every year in north London.

Not
big fruit but more than respectable eating. I can't remember the variety,

it
wasn't self fertile, there was a pair of them. It rampaged all the way

along
the rear on my house and provided good shade in summer.
I'm growing a self fertile one now along my garage wall in N

Cambridgeshire,
it seems much less enthusiastic but has been there only since last spring

Mine has been in (also north of Cambridge) for three years and no flowers or
fruit yet.

It had two female plants and one male, when first in, now one stem has died.
Bet I can guess it's the male!

It gets one more year then I'm taking it out if there are no fruit.

--
Brian
Currently singing: "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer"

Old 23-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from "Oxymel of Squill" contains these words:

I used to get three or four carrier bagfuls every year in north London. Not
big fruit but more than respectable eating. I can't remember the
variety, it
wasn't self fertile, there was a pair of them. It rampaged all the way
along
the rear on my house and provided good shade in summer.
I'm growing a self fertile one now along my garage wall in N
Cambridgeshire,
it seems much less enthusiastic but has been there only since last spring

Have a go.

I'm not that far from you, so I think I will have a go. I'm trying an
apricot too in much the same spot, which is also a bit of a gamble, I
guess.

Janet G

Old 23-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin wrote:

I'm not that far from you, so I think I will have a go. I'm trying an
apricot too in much the same spot, which is also a bit of a gamble, I
guess.

I understand apricots to NOT be a gamble, so much as very borderline.
I.e. an expert can state precisely whether they will crop or not,
depending on the location, soil and (most particularly) aspect. Yes,
from a non-expert's point of view, they are a gamble :-)

I am pretty sure that Actinida is MUCH less well understood, and it
was only when the New Zealanders discovered how to make them crop
reliably that they became a common fruit in the West. Which was very
recently, as some of us view things :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kiwis - plant out, greenhouse ir indoors? Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 5 26-10-2005 11:56 PM
fuzzy kiwis kettlink Edible Gardening 0 25-10-2003 02:02 AM
KIWIS CLAMOUR TO RETAIN BAN ON GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOOD David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 03:20 AM
Kiwis in the UK Brian Watson United Kingdom 6 03-03-2003 03:13 PM
sweet peas-any secrets to success? NAearthMOM Gardening 12 05-02-2003 06:19 PM