Old 26-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Rod

Default todays mystery object

This one's got me beat.

http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/wotsthis.jpg

There's a lot of these on the ground in the Camellia Walk thinly
distributed over an area roughly circular around 3 - 5 metres dia. The
concentration would indicate a source nearby and they look like
they've blown off a tree but I can't find the tree. Over and around
these objects are mature Oaks, Ash, Sycamore, Beech, Douglas Fir,
Cedrus deodora. Can't see any Birches or Willow nearby and not much of
an understory. If I had an idea what they were I could refine my
search.

Whoever gets this right will have the reward of seeing me looking
pretty damn silly.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 26-12-2004, 08:45 PM
ned

"Rod" wrote in message
This one's got me beat.

http://website.lineone.net/~rodcraddock/wotsthis.jpg

There's a lot of these on the ground in the Camellia Walk thinly
distributed over an area roughly circular around 3 - 5 metres dia.

The
concentration would indicate a source nearby and they look like
they've blown off a tree but I can't find the tree. Over and around
these objects are mature Oaks, Ash, Sycamore, Beech, Douglas Fir,
Cedrus deodora. Can't see any Birches or Willow nearby and not much

of
an understory. If I had an idea what they were I could refine my
search.

Cedrus deodora male flowers?

See
http://www.pinetum.org/sp/CDdeodara.htm

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 13.12.2004

Old 26-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Rod

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:45:34 -0000, "ned" wrote:

See
http://www.pinetum.org/sp/CDdeodara.htm

Yep, I'll collect my dumbo hat tomorrow ;~))

I looked into the top of that tree for ages and couldn't see any.
Trouble is it's a very tall leggy specimen with just a bit of foliage
high amongst the mature Oaks so very difficult to see anything
clearly. In fact it's such a poor specimen that when we found it
during the making of the Camellia Walk a few years back it took me a
while even to recognise it as a C. deodora.

Thanks for the link, looks like it's worth digging deeper into that
site.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 26-12-2004, 09:22 PM
ned

"Rod" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 20:45:34 -0000, "ned" wrote:

See
http://www.pinetum.org/sp/CDdeodara.htm

Yep, I'll collect my dumbo hat tomorrow ;~))

No need for that I'm sure.
We've all been there. :-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 13.12.2004

Todays shots of the orange Glads - DSC_0001.JPG (0/1) joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 5 18-08-2007 01:08 AM
Todays shots of the orange Glads - DSC_0001.JPG (1/1) joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 0 17-08-2007 11:32 PM
Todays Quiz Sts4Heffer United Kingdom 3 05-06-2006 10:11 AM
The mystery object has been identified R.H. United Kingdom 0 17-10-2004 01:35 PM
Anyone recognize this object? R.H. United Kingdom 30 27-08-2004 09:44 PM