Old 29-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Chiltern Seed Catalogue

I have just received my 2005 Chiltern's seed catalogue, which is, as
usual packed with interesting items.
On the down side, the catalogue measures 29.6 cm high, 10.5 cm wide
and 0.9 cm thick. This idiosyncratic format makes it difficult to
handle and utterly impossible to put in a bookshelf. Somebody with
influence over them might point out that it is about as unfunctional
design as possible. What is wrong with either a standard octavo or a
standard A5 format?

Franz

Old 29-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Tumbleweed

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
I have just received my 2005 Chiltern's seed catalogue, which is, as
usual packed with interesting items.
On the down side, the catalogue measures 29.6 cm high, 10.5 cm wide
and 0.9 cm thick. This idiosyncratic format makes it difficult to
handle and utterly impossible to put in a bookshelf. Somebody with
influence over them might point out that it is about as unfunctional
design as possible. What is wrong with either a standard octavo or a
standard A5 format?

Franz

rotate by 90 degrees (the catalogue, not yourself)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 29-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Franz Heymann

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
I have just received my 2005 Chiltern's seed catalogue, which is,

as
usual packed with interesting items.
On the down side, the catalogue measures 29.6 cm high, 10.5 cm

wide
and 0.9 cm thick. This idiosyncratic format makes it difficult to
handle and utterly impossible to put in a bookshelf. Somebody

with
influence over them might point out that it is about as

unfunctional
design as possible. What is wrong with either a standard octavo

or a
standard A5 format?

Franz

rotate by 90 degrees (the catalogue, not yourself)

I tried it. Then it sticks out beyond the front edge of the shelf and
the door won't close.

Franz

Old 29-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Mike

or a
standard A5 format?

Franz

rotate by 90 degrees (the catalogue, not yourself)

I tried it. Then it sticks out beyond the front edge of the shelf and
the door won't close.

Franz

You have by now written to them I take it?

Or are you just whinging on here?

You will find that if you write to them telling them of you concerns, they
might take it on board and do something about it for next year's catalogue.

Old 29-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Tumbleweed

[...]

Ah, you must be trying to store it on the same shelf as your peter rabbit
book collection?
:-)

Old 29-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip]

You have by now written to them I take it?

Or are you just whinging on here?

I am just whinging on here, hoping to hear of any other urglers who
might agree with me that the Chiltern catalogue format is gimmicky.
I take it you haven't anything to say about the point I raised.

Are you happy now?

Franz

Old 29-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Mike

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip]

You have by now written to them I take it?

Or are you just whinging on here?

I am just whinging on here, hoping to hear of any other urglers who
might agree with me that the Chiltern catalogue format is gimmicky.
I take it you haven't anything to say about the point I raised.

Are you happy now?

Franz

and hoping that one of the other urglers has got a bit more get up and go,
and a bit more gumption to actually 'do' something and write to them,
instead of just whinging on here ?

Old 29-12-2004, 04:50 PM
Mike

Chiltern Seeds have been notified of your concern and complaint. No need for
you to do anything now.

Kind regards

Mike
(Action speaks louder than words)

Old 29-12-2004, 04:52 PM
jane

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:08:20 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

~I have just received my 2005 Chiltern's seed catalogue, which is, as
~usual packed with interesting items.
~On the down side, the catalogue measures 29.6 cm high, 10.5 cm wide
~and 0.9 cm thick. This idiosyncratic format makes it difficult to
~handle and utterly impossible to put in a bookshelf. Somebody with
~influence over them might point out that it is about as unfunctional
~design as possible. What is wrong with either a standard octavo or a
~standard A5 format?
~
~Franz
~
I find a lot of seed catalogues are weird sizes and they escape when
you're not watching. I now keep them all in a small box binder, rather
like an cross between an A4 ringbinder without the rings and a
boxfile, kept shut by elastic. That way I can easily find them all,
and it isn't too ugly to be left unshelved or too small to go on the
large book sized shelf without hiding in between the real books. I've
got another one I keep unread gardening mags in
(from Staples)

You can also get plastic A4 snap-to-shut wallets which keep leaflets
under control, though you can't get many in. Useful for seed packets.

I just wish they'd all stick to A5, but they won't, simply because to
stand out means they're more likely to get the orders.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 29-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Kay

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip]

You have by now written to them I take it?

Or are you just whinging on here?

I am just whinging on here, hoping to hear of any other urglers who
might agree with me that the Chiltern catalogue format is gimmicky.
I take it you haven't anything to say about the point I raised.

I find it quite useful in that it sticks out of the magazine rack and I
can always find it easily. Yes, it is gimmicky, but what you and I see
as gimmicky, others see as a 'strong brand image' - ie it looks
completely different from the rest.

Why else did we get round tea bags? Whatever the advertising said, I'm
sure it wasn't because of the taste!
--
Kay

Old 29-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Rod

wrote:

I have just received my 2005 Chiltern's seed catalogue, which is, as
usual packed with interesting items.
On the down side, the catalogue measures 29.6 cm high, 10.5 cm wide
and 0.9 cm thick. This idiosyncratic format makes it difficult to
handle and utterly impossible to put in a bookshelf. Somebody with
influence over them might point out that it is about as unfunctional
design as possible. What is wrong with either a standard octavo or a
standard A5 format?

Mine never gets put away ;-) It lives in the greenhouse most of the
time, and as others have said the odd shape makes it easier to find.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 29-12-2004, 07:13 PM
Franz Heymann

"Mike" wrote in message
Chiltern Seeds have been notified of your concern and complaint. No

need for
you to do anything now.

That was very kind of you. Thank you.

Franz

Old 29-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Mike" wrote in message

[snip]

You have by now written to them I take it?

Or are you just whinging on here?

I am just whinging on here, hoping to hear of any other urglers who
might agree with me that the Chiltern catalogue format is gimmicky.
I take it you haven't anything to say about the point I raised.

I find it quite useful in that it sticks out of the magazine rack

and I
can always find it easily. Yes, it is gimmicky, but what you and I

see
as gimmicky, others see as a 'strong brand image' - ie it looks
completely different from the rest.

The fact that they stock such an excellent range of seeds is good
enough to act as a "strong brand image".

Why else did we get round tea bags? Whatever the advertising said,

I'm
sure it wasn't because of the taste!

{:-))

Franz

Old 29-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
Chiltern Seeds have been notified of your concern and complaint. No

need for
you to do anything now.

That was very kind of you. Thank you.

Franz

My pleasure. I do like to get things done and make people happy :-))

Mike

--
H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past