Old 02-01-2005, 01:03 AM
ecky-h

Default OT. quiz

Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

TIA
Ecky

Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 01:03:58 -0000, "ecky-h"
wrote:

Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

I don't remember, but there are words for twining plants which grow in
either a clockwise or anticlockwise direction. I understand that the
two main vairieties of Wisteria, Japnese and Chinese, twine in
opposite directions, but I never rememember which!
I'm no help at all but I guess it is a term for this which the
question is about, not a specific plant.

Pam in Bristol
Old 02-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Cerumen

"ecky-h" wrote in message
Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

From left to right seems normal?
I'm sure there is a word but a quick check through books finds nothing
yet.
It did raise another question though; I have always assumed that plants
generally curl in a clockwise direction as the growing tip follow the sun
through the day, does that mean they curl anticlockwise in the southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message
:
: "ecky-h" wrote in message
: ...
:: Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:
::
:: Describes a plant that binds from left to right
::
:: TIA
:: Ecky
::
: A spider plant
:
Oh sorry I thought you were one of those jokers on the newsgroups derrrrrr
:

Old 02-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Mike

?

Old 02-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Sacha

On 2/1/05 10:46, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

"ecky-h" wrote in message
Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

From left to right seems normal?
I'm sure there is a word but a quick check through books finds nothing
yet.
It did raise another question though; I have always assumed that plants
generally curl in a clockwise direction as the growing tip follow the sun
through the day, does that mean they curl anticlockwise in the southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

According to the answer I found in Stearn, the Hop twists from left to right
in the direction of the sun's course while e.g. Convolvulus sepium twists to
the left (sinistrorsum)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Cerumen

k...
wrote:

"ecky-h" wrote in message
Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

From left to right seems normal?
I'm sure there is a word but a quick check through books finds nothing
yet.
It did raise another question though; I have always assumed that

plants
generally curl in a clockwise direction as the growing tip follow the

sun
through the day, does that mean they curl anticlockwise in the

southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

According to the answer I found in Stearn, the Hop twists from left to

right
in the direction of the sun's course while e.g. Convolvulus sepium

twists to
the left (sinistrorsum)

I assume Convolvulus sepium is antipodean, or am I wrong?

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Kay

In article , Cerumen spammers.are.low.life
writes

"ecky-h" wrote in message
Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

From left to right seems normal?
I'm sure there is a word but a quick check through books finds nothing
yet.
It did raise another question though; I have always assumed that plants
generally curl in a clockwise direction as the growing tip follow the sun
through the day, does that mean they curl anticlockwise in the southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

No, different species seem to have a tendency to twine one way or the
other - see the wisterias mentioned elsewhere in this thread. That's
what gave rise to the Flanders and Swann song.

But some plants seem to change direction occasionally - start of
clockwise, say, then do an ugly half loop and carry on anticlockwise.

If you google on "binds from left to right" there are one or two
interesting looking articles.
--
Kay

Old 03-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Sacha

On 2/1/05 18:58, in article , "Cerumen"
wrote:

snip I assume Convolvulus sepium is antipodean, or am I wrong?

According to the Connecticut Botanical Society, it's a native of USA.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Cerumen

k...
wrote:

snip I assume Convolvulus sepium is antipodean, or am I wrong?

According to the Connecticut Botanical Society, it's a native of USA.

Ah well, another theory bites the dust..

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 03-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Franz Heymann

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"ecky-h" wrote in message
Can anyone help with the answer to this quiz question, please:

Describes a plant that binds from left to right

From left to right seems normal?
I'm sure there is a word but a quick check through books finds

nothing
yet.
It did raise another question though; I have always assumed that

plants
generally curl in a clockwise direction as the growing tip follow

the sun
through the day, does that mean they curl anticlockwise in the

southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

Not in that part of the southern hemisphere where I came from.

Franz

Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Mike

southern
hemisphere where the sun moves from right to left across the sky?

Not in that part of the southern hemisphere where I came from.

Franz

"As the sun rises in the East to open and enliven the day, and as the sun
sets in the West to close the day"

Mike