Old 14-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Harry Web

Default How much muck?

I'm in the fortunate position of having a lot of cow muck near my
allotment, but am a bit apprehensive about possibly overdoing its
application.

It's a plot that was overgrown for a number of years before I took it
on. I spent a lot of (bizzarely enjoyable) time last year getting the
twitch, broken glass etc out of, and know it is a limestone soil in an
area where the season is late and short. A few trial plantings in
different areas revealed that the soil structure and depth needs to
be improved, hence this year's main efforts being to address this.

I reckon I've barrowed enough around to thinly cover about a third of
the area if I squash it all out under-welly. If I dig this in to that
part this year (getting ready for the old crop rotation thing), will I
make it too acid? It's quite well rotted already, fairly dark and
firmish, only a little smelly.

On a similar vein, I've got a fair quantity of leaf mulch from the
autumn. Given my availability of muck (especially in the winter
momths) will I be better digging this in rather than waiting ages for
it to compost down in bins?

Thanks.
Old 14-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Kate Morgan

I'm in the fortunate position of having a lot of cow muck near my
allotment, but am a bit apprehensive about possibly overdoing its
application.

snip

I have a fair amount of horse manure that I just spread around my
borders I dont dig it in. Where there are troublesome weeds I spread it
a bit thicker and the weeds get smothered.

kate

OT Body Farm was How much muck? Phil L United Kingdom 2 17-01-2005 12:26 AM
[IBC] Carving slate (muck) lynette g smith Bonsai 2 19-12-2003 03:33 PM
Muck Rake Design Greg Cooper Ponds 5 06-05-2003 02:23 AM
Any one need Horse Muck ???? bnd777 United Kingdom 4 29-04-2003 08:44 PM
free to good home, muck heap Kate Morgan United Kingdom 0 05-03-2003 02:13 PM