Old 30-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default What's in bloom?

The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these words:

Thinking of winter colour I am amazed that very few garden programmes
use Calicarpa, ours is a picture, the berries last all winter and are
visible all over the garden. I was reminded of this seeing a programme
today on TV which was going to use the plant, the first time I've ever
seen it mentioned.

I gave up on mine because the berries were so sparse in the years
after it left the company of others in the garden centre, and I wondered
if it needed them for fertilisation. Is yours self-fertile, or are there
others nearby?

Janet.

Old 30-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Natalie

All sorts of things out here and today discovered a lovely flower on
the Pulsatilla rubra.

Regards
Iris (McCanna)

I too have a Pulsatilla with a flower that has just opened, the Stokesia is
also continuing to flower and the Viburnum has one solitary flower on it.

Natalie

Old 02-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Michael Berridge

Janet Baraclough wrote in message
I gave up on mine because the berries were so sparse in the years
after it left the company of others in the garden centre, and I

wondered
if it needed them for fertilisation. Is yours self-fertile, or are

there
others nearby?

Janet.

Its totally on its own, no idea of the exact variety as it was bought at
an end of show sale at the Gateshead Garden festival. The first few
years it didn't do much, but the last few, and I suspect that the warm
winters and lack of frost have something to do with this, it is
absolutely covered in berries. Everyone who sees it remarks on it. It is
about 5' from the back door and certainly brightens up the outlook from
the kitchen.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 PM
Michael Berridge

Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson wrote in message
The message
from "Michael Berridge" contains these

words:

I was just wondering about trying to get seed of Callicarpa, but didn't
know how fussy it was about the conditions it needs to produce berries.
Do you know which sort yours is?

E mail me and I will send you some to try to get to grow. It's not
listed as propagation by seed, but by softwood cuttings, but you can
certainly have some to try.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Julie's Mystery Rose DE BLOOM Shiva Roses 0 30-03-2003 05:44 AM
wysteria won't bloom Karen Corbin Gardening 3 23-02-2003 05:03 PM
First bloom: contest winner saki Roses 0 20-02-2003 09:51 AM
First bloom: contest winner Zphysics1 Roses 0 20-02-2003 03:15 AM
Zygopetalum mackayi bloom time? Caren Orchids 5 30-01-2003 10:45 PM