Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Helen Hartley

Default should I compost apple prunings?

We have recently moved into a new house which has a few apple trees in the
garden.

The apple trees do not appear to have been pruned for the last few years, so
we have pruned them. We have been left with quite a pile of prunings and
are thinking about shredding them, before composting and using as a mulch.

If we do shred and then compost the apple tree prunings, then use as a
mulch, is this likely to encourage apple tree pests and diseases?

If so how far away from the apple trees should we use the wood chips?

OR

Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Many thanks for any help.

Helen