Old 01-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Keith Hampson

Default Bird houses

I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds to nest
in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now without any
birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

thanks Keith

Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Mike Lyle

Keith Hampson wrote:
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me

which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds

nest in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now
without any birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

thanks Keith

Best to go to the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds)
wbesite for the offical gen; but I'd say north-facing was right, as
they don't want full sun blazing in. There could be a lot of other
reasons why your brother's didn't attract customers: too low, too
high, too visible, too easy for predators to get to them, too wobbly,
wrong size hole, almost anything. But you say "bird-houses": the
funny things you sometimes see on sale aren't always proper
_nest-boxes_, so it's best to check the RSPB advice to see if they
were suitable in the first place. Otherwise, just trial and error.

Mike.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:20 PM
Keith Hampson

How close should I fix the bird boxes, I had planned about 5 meters apart,
is this enought?

Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
ned

Keith Hampson wrote:
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me

which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds

nest in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now
without any birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

I've got two boxes, one in a tree, one in a (leylandi) hedge, about
8ft high, both facing East and both have been used for the last two
years.
I think the theory is that they get early morning light, are sheltered
from the cold North winds and don't get the hot afternoon sun
streaming in.
Both boxes are in sheltered places away from human activity and away
from the hectic bird table gatherings.
The boxes also need cleaning out annually. They get musty and harbour
mites.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004

Old 02-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Franz Heymann

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me

which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds

to nest
in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now

without any
birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

It is said that North facing is the in thing.
I have a funny feeling that birds don't actually nest in nest boxes.
I have put up nest boxes for 55 years and have never had any
occupants. I have also never seen any birds nesting in any other
nesting boxes I have come across.
I once had a pair of robins nesting in the saddle bag of a bike which
was kept in the shed. End of use of bike for a season.

Franz

Old 02-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Bob Hobden

"Franz Heymann" wrote after "Keith Hampson" wrote
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me

which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds

to nest
in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now

without any
birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

It is said that North facing is the in thing.
I have a funny feeling that birds don't actually nest in nest boxes.
I have put up nest boxes for 55 years and have never had any
occupants. I have also never seen any birds nesting in any other
nesting boxes I have come across.
I once had a pair of robins nesting in the saddle bag of a bike which
was kept in the shed. End of use of bike for a season.

We have always had ours facing NE so they get the early morning sun through
the hole but nothing after that. Get Blue Tits most years even in the ones
I've screwed on the side of the house next to each other for Sparrows (who
like a community nest site).

--
Regards
Bob

Old 02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Keith Hampson" wrote in message
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds to nest
in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now without any
birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

thanks Keith

I face mine east. They get the morning sun, the entrance is away from the
prevailing wind and not in full sun in the afternoon to make them too hot. I
get plenty of birds hatching.