Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM
sahara

Default quarry fines

Ok. This question is related to an article that appeared in kitchen
garden a few months ago, i think there was something on radio 4 about
it recently too. Some people have been doing research into using
quarry fines to replenish soil mineral resources. I think the idea is
that combined with compost the result will be a more lasting and
robust soil as well as producing vegetables with greater mineral
content.
And i have an allotment with a very clay soil which is about a foot
lower that the neighbouring plot. As you can imagine it is currently
looking like a bit like a very muddy swimming pool.
So i am planning to add as much material as i can over the next few
months and years. Obviously i want to keep costs down and am looking
at the best option for the best price. I am considering using quarry
fines but have no idea about how to go around buying the stuff.
I was also wondering about using building sand, community compost,
tons of manure, sharp sand?? Would i be in any danger of polluting the
plot with any of these??
Any comments are welcome either on the whole using of quarry fines
issue or advice on what i can add to my lotty to make the soil all
nice and high.
sarah a
Old 07-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Foxfield

My local Quarry are quite happy to have the Public go down with a Truck or a
car and Trailer for materials.

You need to weigh-in and then pop into the office to just tell them what
you're after. They'll point you in the right direction. Take a shovel with
you!

Try not to get in the way of the big wagons and machinery, they're often on
piecework.

Weigh yourselves back out and pay them at the office.

http://foxfield-parva.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
om...

Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Foxfield wrote:
My local Quarry are quite happy to have the Public go down with a
Truck or a car and Trailer for materials.

You need to weigh-in and then pop into the office to just tell them
what you're after. They'll point you in the right direction. Take

shovel with you!

Try not to get in the way of the big wagons and machinery, they're
often on piecework.

Weigh yourselves back out and pay them at the office.

http://foxfield-parva.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
"sahara" wrote in message
om...
[...]

How fine are these quarry fines? (I've never seen any.) My thought is
that if they're very fine, they won't do much for the texture of the
soil, and clay is pretty rich in minerals already. There's also the
question of what stone the quarry produces: limestone, shale,
sandstone, etc are all different chemically.

If the material _is_ very dusty, perhaps conventional sharp
(gardenr's "sharp", not builder's "sharp")sand might be better? Plus
as much organic matter as possible, of course.

Mike.

Old 07-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Emrys Davies

"sahara",

Having had a cursory glance at the contents of this site I am not much
wiser as to the merits of you using quarry fines, but I include it just
in case you find it helpful.

http://www.mi-st.org.uk/call3/report...ma-3-1-003.pdf

You haven't given the size of your allotment so that cost can be
calculated or said what produce has been successfully grown on it in its
present state or mentioned drainage possibilities.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

om...

Old 07-02-2005, 01:59 PM
sahara

"Foxfield" wrote in message ...
My local Quarry are quite happy to have the Public go down with a Truck or a
car and Trailer for materials.

You need to weigh-in and then pop into the office to just tell them what
you're after. They'll point you in the right direction. Take a shovel with
you!

Try not to get in the way of the big wagons and machinery, they're often on
piecework.

Weigh yourselves back out and pay them at the office.

Ok thats great info. Just a few questions in response
Where are you? Which is your local quarry?
How do i find my 'local' quarry? I live in Birmingham.
Will doing this cost me a big load of money? (bear in mind i dont
actually own a truck or a trailer so would have to sort out that bit
too)
thanks,
sarah a

Old 07-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Registered User

I've heard of an oganic farm which has had huge success using volcanic lava dust as fertiliser. They were stoked with the results, however I have no idea where you would get some! Unless you know someone in Iceland....
Old 07-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Emrys Davies

"sahara",

Your nearest suppliers would appear to be on one of these sites:

http://www.mqp.co.uk/

http://www.hanson.co.uk/

First of all I would strongly recommend that you speak to the respective
technical managers of the two firms otherwise you may buy a product
which is quite unsuitable for your needs.

As I understand it Quarry Fines is an acidic dust which, when subjected
to water, is likely to turn into a muddy slush. I think that you could
obtain a sample by post or see it for yourself at the quarry of Midland
Quarry Products, which is at Dudley.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"sahara" wrote in message
om...

Old 07-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"undergroundbob" wrote
in message ...

I've heard of an oganic farm which has had huge success using

volcanic
lava dust as fertiliser.

Then they might as well apply calcium superphosphate, Kainit and
suchlike and call it a day.
Lava dust must be just about the epitome of inorganic fertiliser.
Has someone checked the radioactive content of that stuff?

They were stoked with the results, however I
have no idea where you would get some! Unless you know someone in
Iceland....

Franz

Old 07-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Franz Heymann

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message
"sahara",

Your nearest suppliers would appear to be on one of these sites:

http://www.mqp.co.uk/

http://www.hanson.co.uk/

First of all I would strongly recommend that you speak to the

respective
technical managers of the two firms otherwise you may buy a product
which is quite unsuitable for your needs.

As I understand it Quarry Fines is an acidic dust which, when

subjected
to water, is likely to turn into a muddy slush.

Surely only if it originated from an acidic rock. Limestone dust, for
eample, would be alkaline.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
.

In article , Foxfield foxfield@sukmys
pam.wanadoo.co.uk writes
My local Quarry are quite happy to have the Public go down with a Truck or a
car and Trailer for materials.

You need to weigh-in and then pop into the office to just tell them what
you're after. They'll point you in the right direction. Take a shovel with
you!

Try not to get in the way of the big wagons and machinery, they're often on
piecework.

Weigh yourselves back out and pay them at the office.

Just as an addition...

This applies to all of the quarry products, buying stone this way is a
helluva lot cheaper than a garden centre plus they have huge piles to
pick from so if you are looking for a certain size its a great way to
get it, my local quarry is owned by Tarmac.
--
David

Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Talking

Then they might as well apply calcium superphosphate, Kainit and
suchlike and call it a day.
Lava dust must be just about the epitome of inorganic fertiliser.
Has someone checked the radioactive content of that stuff?

Franz[/quote]

Maybe that's why their vegetables were so huge...!
Old 08-02-2005, 12:40 PM
sahara

"Emrys Davies" wrote in message ...
"sahara",

Having had a cursory glance at the contents of this site I am not much
wiser as to the merits of you using quarry fines, but I include it just
in case you find it helpful.

http://www.mi-st.org.uk/call3/report...ma-3-1-003.pdf

You haven't given the size of your allotment so that cost can be
calculated or said what produce has been successfully grown on it in its
present state or mentioned drainage possibilities.

for those interested:
a report on mineral depletion in food he

http://www.goodgardeners.org.uk/pages/features.html

and some stuff related to the article written in KG (Jan 05) he

http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/

I think my plot is around 15m by 40m but that is pretty much a guess.
Some things have grown fine, at one end. The other end is a little
lower and i currently have some fairly drowned looking chard there. I
attempted sweetcorn next to this last summer and it failed to produce
any cobs probably because of the very wet and cold conditions.
sarah a