Old 09-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Mike

Wow! Barracloff swollowed a dixonary

Feel better now Janet?

Old 09-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Sacha

On 9/2/05 10:03 am, in article , "Bennett
Langdon" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip
Whatever she grows (other than shrubs) would be planted in great masses,
no 'dot' planting in this garden!
As to what she does in the garden at different times of year, would she do
*anything* other than pick flowers for the house? Wouldn't there be a
'little man' to do the actual gardening? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

*Many* thanks for this!

Nick

Despite my 'little man' remark a lot of 'posh gardeners' like to do their
own thing in the garden and are frequently found 'bums up' in the herbaceous
border. It's said that the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire cherishes a remark
in her visitors' book - "We saw the Duke in the garden and he looked quite
normal!".
I think you might find The Lasket by Roy Strong on the making of his garden,
a good book to browse through. He wasn't born 'posh' but he knows 'posh',
if you see what I mean and is very hot on strong architectural planting.
And here's a link to the RHS calendar of work in the garden:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/calendar.asp

Oh and she might be iffy about petunias BTW, except for the very soft
coloured or white ones trailing from a lovely old urn. And *definitely* no
bizzy lizzies but certainly their cousin, Impatiens tinctoria, "if it
survives our winters, my dear". ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Despite my 'little man' remark a lot of 'posh gardeners' like to do their
| own thing in the garden and are frequently found 'bums up' in the herbaceous
| border. It's said that the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire cherishes a remark
| in her visitors' book - "We saw the Duke in the garden and he looked quite
| normal!".

I was interpreting your remark to be a somewhat snide (and probably
correct) remark about the sort of 'posh' people that live in
Hampstead :-)

Traditionally, the genuine aristocracy and others were indeed likely
to be found doing the actual work, often dressed in clothing that the
under-gardener wouldn't be seen dead in! There might well be some
people in Hampstead with the same attitude, but there will definitely
be a lot that would almost never get their manicured hands muddy,
but would blither on about "my garden" at length.

I would tend to choose either type, depending on how the character
fits. The former type would employ a 'little man' primarily to mow
the lawn, dig new beds over and do the general, heavyish, unskilled
work, and would do things like take her own cuttings.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Sacha

On 9/2/05 2:39 pm, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Despite my 'little man' remark a lot of 'posh gardeners' like to do their
| own thing in the garden and are frequently found 'bums up' in the
herbaceous
| border. It's said that the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire cherishes a
remark
| in her visitors' book - "We saw the Duke in the garden and he looked quite
| normal!".

I was interpreting your remark to be a somewhat snide (and probably
correct) remark about the sort of 'posh' people that live in
Hampstead :-)

You were right, too. Those who 'would be posh' will ring the bell to get
someone to pick up their handkerchief and looks at the hallmarks on others'
silver. The real thing is far too secure for such nonsense.

Traditionally, the genuine aristocracy and others were indeed likely
to be found doing the actual work, often dressed in clothing that the
under-gardener wouldn't be seen dead in!

This precise thing happened to my father outlaw who was gardening in some
disgraceful old clothes and was asked by a 'Hampstead type" where his
lordship was!

There might well be some
people in Hampstead with the same attitude, but there will definitely
be a lot that would almost never get their manicured hands muddy,
but would blither on about "my garden" at length.

Touch of the Judith Bliss's but nothing like as much fun.

I would tend to choose either type, depending on how the character
fits. The former type would employ a 'little man' primarily to mow
the lawn, dig new beds over and do the general, heavyish, unskilled
work, and would do things like take her own cuttings.

If she was at all like a few I can think of, she'd be quite happy to shovel
the manure on, too but might get Mr Jenkins to do it once she's in her 80s.
;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
jane

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:21:35 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

~On 9/2/05 10:03 am, in article , "Bennett
~Langdon" wrote:
~
~
~ "Sacha" wrote in message
~ k...
~snip
~ Whatever she grows (other than shrubs) would be planted in great masses,
~ no 'dot' planting in this garden!
~ As to what she does in the garden at different times of year, would she do
~ *anything* other than pick flowers for the house? Wouldn't there be a
~ 'little man' to do the actual gardening? ;-)
~ --
~
~ Sacha
~ (remove the weeds for email)
~
~
~ *Many* thanks for this!
~
~ Nick
~
~
~Despite my 'little man' remark a lot of 'posh gardeners' like to do their
~own thing in the garden and are frequently found 'bums up' in the herbaceous
~border. It's said that the Dowager Duchess of Devonshire cherishes a remark
~in her visitors' book - "We saw the Duke in the garden and he looked quite
~normal!".

Um, Dowager? I hadn't heard the Duke had died! AFAIK (and their
website) he's still here...

Having been brought up a stone's throw from Chatsworth, I can say that
the Duke and Duchess have done a tremendous amount for the local area
and people. The main estate is free to enter, there is a lovely garden
centre there, car parks (again free), loads of walks, and the House
isn't too expensive to look round. And they are indeed lovely normal
people (going by one of the estate employees who lives 3 doors away
from my parents!).

I fell in the weir once

Sorry - bit of a diversion!

~I think you might find The Lasket by Roy Strong on the making of his garden,
~a good book to browse through. He wasn't born 'posh' but he knows 'posh',
~if you see what I mean and is very hot on strong architectural planting.
~And here's a link to the RHS calendar of work in the garden:
~
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/calendar.asp
~
~Oh and she might be iffy about petunias BTW, except for the very soft
~coloured or white ones trailing from a lovely old urn. And *definitely* no
~bizzy lizzies but certainly their cousin, Impatiens tinctoria, "if it
~survives our winters, my dear". ;-)

:-) I have this strange impression of Rosemary and Thyme's next
murderous job... though can anyone tell me if they did bump off one of
them as I missed the last eps?

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Sacha

On 9/2/05 5:52 pm, in article , "Bennett
Langdon" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip.
And here's a link to the RHS calendar of work in the garden:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/calendar.asp

Many thanks. PS Have you got a Cornish Aromatic Apple Tree?

No but these people have and we recommend them highly:
http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bennett Langdon" wrote
in message ...
In a message dated 08/02/2005 14:28:13 GMT Standard Time, Jmikelyle

writes:
What a fascinating question! I think the other Mike's jaundiced

view is
unlikely to apply, at least in its entirety, to Hampstead, though.

Yes, I seem to have caught him in a bit of a mood. Many thanks for

your
reply by the way.

She won't be following the TV garden makeover programmes. too

vulgar,

Yes I thought so too.

though she may watch them avidly in order to enjoy expressing

contempt.
She'll probably rather fancy Monty Don, if she likes vulnerable men.

She'll
have some of the more expensive plants you don't get at bog-standard

garden
centres, and she'll probably be fascinated by herbs and some unusual
vegetables. I see a walled garden, which means there'll be a peach,

nectarine, and an apricot

Trees yeah? I am terribly ignorant about it but you see she's the

hero's
wife and the character presented herself to me and was quite

definitely a
gardener.

. Some of the plants will have originated as cuttings or bulbs from

her
parents' garden or trips abroad. She probably won't like double

flowers,
even if it takes trouble to get the old single varieties; she may

dislike
variegated leaves. She'll be big on winter-flowering things and

scent; and
will be angry about modern sweet peas because they don't smell as

strong as
the old ones. The lawn will have camomile and shepherd's thyme in it

for
the scent. There will be nothing conspicuous in the place made of

plastic.

She's got to have roses. I was toying with the idea of her
breeding roses and her making a new one that hase some nice

symbolism.

Do. That woiuld be a real winner. Just think of it, a one acre
Hampstead garden.
If I were her, I would flog the land as a building site and go and
breed roses somewhere else.

Franz

Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM
Franz Heymann

"Bennett Langdon" wrote
in message ...

"Mike" wrote in message
My word, I bet you feel a lot better getting that tirade off your

chest.

Might I respectfully recomend a wonderful book which would, I

feel, do you
lot of good?

"Psycho-cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz.

I do apologise: I seem to have caused an altercation.

On the contrary, you are one huge figure of fun.

Franz

Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Kay

In article , Bennett Langdon
writes

Many thanks. PS Have you got a Cornish Aromatic Apple Tree?

I have. Why?
--
Kay