Poll: What Hourly Rate Should I Charge Being A 20yr Old Gardener
Poll Options
What Hourly Rate Should I Charge Being A 20yr Old Gardener

Old 23-06-2004, 11:03 PM
Registered User

Question Advice On Gardening

I am now starting my own gardening business at the age of 20 and i would like to know if anyone here has any advice which you think i should need.

I have my own van and gardening equipment, petrol machines, and hand tools etc but i lack in experience that a "gardener" would have, so i have been taking on work which is just to gain experience like grass cutting, hedge trimming and weeding.

I have been taking on work which at the moment is with retired women who cant look after their own gardens, i have been to price jobs with trouble as to how long a job will take me to complete. I have been charging £10 per hour which most of the retired people are having trouble with because of there pensions.

My recent problem is that i am not charging enough to cover for petrol for my equipment, dumping rubbish and travelling to and from clients house.

As you can see what problem i am faced with, i was just wondering if anyone hear can advice me what to do with my pricing?

I feel as if i am charging people a high rate of £10 per hour, but i am not getting any profit out of this when i have bought petrol, travelled to clients house and dumped rubbish which there is alot of.

Please can somebody help or have any of you people on hear and been in the same situation and want to help me out?
Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Dermuid

Default Advice On Gardening

"Rotax100uk" wrote in message
s.com...
: I am now starting my own gardening business at the age of 20 and i would
: like to know if anyone here has any advice which you think i should
: need.
:

Funnily enough I started gardening as a job nearly 2 years ago now, I have
learned a lot mainly through my mistakes, this NG has been very helpful

: I have my own van and gardening equipment, petrol machines, and hand
: tools etc but i lack in experience that a "gardener" would have, so i
: have been taking on work which is just to gain experience like grass
: cutting, hedge trimming and weeding.
:
: I have been taking on work which at the moment is with retired women
: who cant look after their own gardens, i have been to price jobs with
: trouble as to how long a job will take me to complete. I have been
: charging £10 per hour which most of the retired people are having
: trouble with because of there pensions.

:
: My recent problem is that i am not charging enough to cover for petrol
: for my equipment, dumping rubbish and travelling to and from clients
: house.

You cannot afford to collect rubbish or garden waste, dispose of it on site,
chuck it in their bin or let the them get rid of it, as well as being very
time consuming tipping charges cost a fortune, skips also are not cheap, how
much do you think it would cost for a skip? tell them to set aside a small
area for a compost heap or to burn what is left.

If they still insist that you take it then tell them there is a hefty charge
for disposing of waste, actually its better to get that out of the way first
so there is no misunderstandings later.

: As you can see what problem i am faced with, i was just wondering if
: anyone hear can advice me what to do with my pricing?

Obviously you cannot afford to be out of pocket or you will end up out of
business, forget domestic work, you need to get the big contracts if you can
find them, no, I am certainly not going to part with this information, bear
in mind gardening work proper only lasts for about 6 to 8 months of the
year, you have to earn enough to carry you through the winter

If i am charging people a high rate of £10 per hour, but i am
: not getting any profit out of this when i have bought petrol, travelled
: to clients house and dumped rubbish which there is alot of.
:
: Please can somebody help or have any of you people on hear and been in
: the same situation and want to help me out?

I can help you out if you get a really big contract, keep me in mind, Est
2002

Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Just Molly

[...]

The lads who do my work charge £7 per hour, then an extra £30 if I need
rubbish removed. Have you a shredder? Shred branches and either leave it
there, or take it away to use as mulch or start composting yourself and sell
the compost.
As you have no skills as such you cannot charge top whack. There are plenty
of people who will take on small maintenance jobs for not much money.
Make sure you have some good insurance too in case you manage to
accidentally damage someones property.

Old 26-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Martin Heames

--
Rotax100uk
Rotax100uk

Ten pound an Hour is a good rate to earn if you are just beginning Just try
and control your costs.
I never give my customers an hourly price I give them a "job and finish"
price. for example if I look at an average garden and estimate it will take
me about an 1.5 hours (based on 10 pounds an hour the price would be 15
pounds) Doing the garden regular and working out the best routine for that
garden you will find that you will reduce the time spent at the garden but
still get the same price even better if you had a helper the task should
take half the time but yet again still earn the same price.

At my peak myself and four fellow gardeners walked away from a garden in 6
minutes flat and the standards was still maintained. Talking of standards of
work this is where your key is to more work. I would rather lose an hours
pay than leave a job at a sub standard level.

If you don't have a blower get one, they always impress the customers and
you can blow any drive in minutes. beats a brush hands down. Clean up at the
end of the job is always as important as the job. You can cut the best hedge
in the world but if you leave a mess the job is wasted.

Regarding waste tell your customers you charge extra for taking the grass
clippings away you will be suprised how many of them find a little corner
for you to put it in

I could go on but my wife is trying to dress me for a wedding .

Good luck with your venture learn as much as you can and keep your standards
high.

Best wishes
Martin Heames
www.thegardenspider.com
("thegardenspider.com" something I am playing with any advice or suggestions
most welcome)

Old 26-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Dermuid

"Just Molly" wrote in message

:
: The lads who do my work charge £7 per hour, then an extra £30 if I need
: rubbish removed. Have you a shredder?

Thats what your lads need Molly, a shredder, save you £30, I have been
thinking about getting one but this would mean having to buy a trailer to
carry it, but then I ask myself have I got enough of the right type of work
to justify the expense, its not absolutely essential unless you are a tree
surgeon, then its a must have.

: As you have no skills as such you cannot charge top whack. There are
plenty
: of people who will take on small maintenance jobs for not much money.

What skills do you think he might need?

: Make sure you have some good insurance too in case you manage to
: accidentally damage someones property.
:

How much is business insurance likely to cost ? only you mention there are
plenty of people who will take on small maintainence jobs for not much
money, who are these people who can afford to work for "not much money".

Old 26-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Martin Heames" contains these words:

Regarding waste tell your customers you charge extra for taking the grass
clippings away you will be suprised how many of them find a little corner
for you to put it in

Hey, don't waste those clippings. Look round the neighbourhood for
signs of keen gardeners, and slip a note through their door asking if
they want a regular supply of lawn clippings for mulches or compost
heaps. You'll find someone like me :-) I happily take all the clippings
I can get from a local contractor, a mutual benefit.

For the OP; this contractor works his routes so that he spends a whole
day working on contracts within one area, which greatly reduces travel
time and petrol between that day's clients.

Janet.
Old 26-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Dermuid" contains these words:

"Just Molly" wrote in message

: As you have no skills as such you cannot charge top whack. There are
plenty of people who will take on small maintenance jobs for not much money.

What skills do you think he might need?

As an absolute minimum, the ability to recognise common weeds, know how
to control them, and distinguish them from the annuals the client just
planted out. The ability to recognise common shrubs plants and trees,
and care for them appropriately, at all times of year. (So that he
doesn't winter-prune large azaleas hamamelis or camellia as if they were
buddliea, or lime the rhododendrons).

: Make sure you have some good insurance too in case you manage to
: accidentally damage someones property.
:

How much is business insurance likely to cost ? only you mention there are
plenty of people who will take on small maintainence jobs for not much
money, who are these people who can afford to work for "not much money".

They are the kind of anonymous feckless unskilled door-knockers who
have no overheads, and offer to fell your tree on the cheap. Having no
skills or insurance, if the said tree falls onto an overhead service
cable, car or conservatory, the client is left with an enormous bill and
no come-back.

Janet.

Old 26-06-2004, 10:12 PM
Just Molly

"Just Molly" wrote in message

[...]

Couldn't have put it better mesel'

Old 26-06-2004, 10:12 PM
shazzbat

You cannot afford to collect rubbish or garden waste, dispose of it on

site,
chuck it in their bin or let the them get rid of it, as well as being very
time consuming tipping charges cost a fortune, skips also are not cheap,

how
much do you think it would cost for a skip? tell them to set aside a small
area for a compost heap or to burn what is left.

If they still insist that you take it then tell them there is a hefty

charge
for disposing of waste, actually its better to get that out of the way

first
so there is no misunderstandings later.

By the way, you are a registered waste carrier I take it?
Steve

Old 26-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Dermuid

"shazzbat" wrote in message
:
:
: By the way, you are a registered waste carrier I take it?
: Steve
:
:

We are talking about non hazardous plain old garden waste here which anyone
can take to a landfill or refuse station, no licence required.

Old 26-06-2004, 11:18 PM
shazzbat

"Dermuid" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
:
:
: By the way, you are a registered waste carrier I take it?
: Steve
:
:

We are talking about non hazardous plain old garden waste here which

anyone
can take to a landfill or refuse station, no licence required.

Wrong.

Whilst a person can take their own waste to the landfill site, a person who
removes waste by way of business, whether it be hazardous or not, needs to
be a registered waste carrier in accordance with the environmental
protection act 1990. Also the carrier must complete a controlled waste
transfer note, and both the holder and the carrier must retain their copies
for three years. Once you are charging, either directly or as part of the
overall charge, it becomes controlled waste according to the above act. If
the carrier is not registered, the holder of the waste, in this case the
householder, can be fined UKP2000, and the carrier can be fined UKP2000 plus
confiscation of their vehicle. These penalties may have been updated since I
last looked them up.

Steve.
Registered waste carrier DOR24207/0001

Old 27-06-2004, 12:04 AM
Dermuid

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

: What skills do you think he might need?
:
: As an absolute minimum, the ability to recognise common weeds, know how
: to control them, and distinguish them from the annuals the client just
: planted out. The ability to recognise common shrubs plants and trees,
: and care for them appropriately, at all times of year. (So that he
: doesn't winter-prune large azaleas hamamelis or camellia as if they were
: buddliea, or lime the rhododendrons).
:

This is handy to know, I would also add that you need to know about soil
types for planting and know what conditions are best for the plants before
planting to grow.

:
: : Make sure you have some good insurance too in case you manage to
: : accidentally damage someones property.
: :
:
: How much is business insurance likely to cost ? only you mention there
are
: plenty of people who will take on small maintainence jobs for not much
: money, who are these people who can afford to work for "not much money".
:
: They are the kind of anonymous feckless unskilled door-knockers who
: have no overheads, and offer to fell your tree on the cheap. Having no
: skills or insurance, if the said tree falls onto an overhead service
: cable, car or conservatory, the client is left with an enormous bill and
: no come-back.
:

I have seen the type of unskilled worker you speak of but they rarely work
out cheap, the plan is to get onto your property so they offer to do a job
very cheaply, a total bargain, so cheap that you would have to be stark
raving mad to decline such an offer, once on your property they will cause
damage or invent problems and tell you they need doing, loose tiles on the
roof is the favourite, then they offer to repair the damage they luckily
discovered, good job we were here and all that, by the time they finish with
your property, long story etc you know what I mean, this is why you should
never accept a low quote.

Old 27-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Dermuid

"Just Molly" wrote in message : They are
the kind of anonymous feckless unskilled door-knockers who
: have no overheads, and offer to fell your tree on the cheap. Having no
: skills or insurance, if the said tree falls onto an overhead service
: cable, car or conservatory, the client is left with an enormous bill and
: no come-back.
:
: Couldn't have put it better mesel'

Neither could I but then I personally would never risk hiring such a person
even if he offered to work for nothing.

Old 27-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Dermuid

"shazzbat" wrote in message
:
: "Dermuid" wrote in message
: news:9SmDc.846$_R3.700@newsfe5-win...
:
: "shazzbat" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: :
[...]
: last looked them up.
:

Well it would appear that the landfill I went to were not doing their job
then, not once was I asked if I was registered to carry waste, cash or
account, yes, maybe they thought it was my own waste

Old 27-06-2004, 12:09 AM
shazzbat

"Dermuid" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
:
: "Dermuid" wrote in message
: news:9SmDc.846$_R3.700@newsfe5-win...
:
: "shazzbat" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: :
[...]

Very probably. If you go with a car and trailer there won't be a problem,
they assume you're a householder dumping your own stuff. If you turn up in a
van/pickup,they start to get sniffy, especially if it's a site run by
contractors as opposed to staffed by council employees. And of course you
could say it was from your own garden even if it was trade and you'd
probably get away with it, but on the 577th visit they're definitely going
to be suspicious. Most sites I have seen have signs saying "no trade waste"
Then it's off to the commercial waste site to pay the steep charges plus
landfill tax. Of course like all "environmental" legislation, this has done
the environment more harm than good, since the cowboys are now more inclined
to "fly tip" than before, but they're not going to let that put them off.

Steve