Old 17-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:47:59 -0000, Mike Lyle wrote:

And I know they're German, but surely they know better than to write
"April 1th" (significant date) and "March 31th"? Thoundth rather like
a thtunt.

That's a common mistake made by many otherwise very good English speakers
in Germany.

In written German it's all the same - just a dot = 31.July, 1.April,
2. Oktober. This might explain it as a genuine mistake. (even if it isn't).
The administrator who wrote the code isn't necessarily a graduate in
English. ;-)

--
Tim C.
Old 17-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Mike Lyle

Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:
In message , Mike Lyle

[...]
I'm still suspicious. I received the email, but Yahoo! put it in

my
bulk folder: surely the real people would have been able to
circumvent that?

No scanning system is going to be perfect and how do n.i.n know

what
technique Yahoo use?

If they aren't likely to know, who on earth is? I get regular bulk
mailings from, e.g., the BBC, Computer Weekly, and Amazon straight to
my inbox without interception. It's interesting that this is the
first non-spam I can remember Yahoo sending to the bulk folder in a
year or so.

And I know they're German, but surely they know better than to

write
"April 1th" (significant date) and "March 31th"? Thoundth rather

like
a thtunt.

It is perfectly genuine, the stuff is on their website.

http://news.individual.net/commercial.php

Personally, while sad I'm not surprised, but I think it just got

too
popular.. At 10 Euro it's still a bargain.

Yes, I've checked, too, and I see that it is genuine; and six quid is
certainly a bargain, even with their occasional erratic failures to
post (the dreaded "line 3 too long").

Mike.

Old 17-02-2005, 03:17 PM
June Hughes

In message , The Reids
writes
Following up to Broadback

Anyone have any suggestions
as to an alternative?

I reckon pay the 10 euros, its a good service, why should it be
free?

Well, there's a surprise You kept that one quiet, didn't you, Mike?
How long have you been a secret subscriber to urg? (Perhaps not so
secret but I hadn't noticed you here before and I have been mostly a
lurker for many years).
--
June Hughes
Old 17-02-2005, 03:47 PM
The Reids

Following up to June Hughes

I reckon pay the 10 euros, its a good service, why should it be
free?

Well, there's a surprise You kept that one quiet, didn't you, Mike?
How long have you been a secret subscriber to urg? (Perhaps not so
secret but I hadn't noticed you here before and I have been mostly a
lurker for many years).

I post every few months, when something is going wrong on the
allotment, that's why its so rare! :-)
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 17-02-2005, 03:47 PM
The Reids

Following up to Tim Challenger

(unlimited posting).

the berlin system has an upper limit which I once hit in a
crossposted "discussion" about the right to bear arms IIRC.
(x-posts are all counted).

Old 17-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Richard Brooks

The Reids wrote:
Following up to Broadback

Anyone have any suggestions
as to an alternative?

I reckon pay the 10 euros, its a good service, why should it be
free?

It all depends on if you've been using Usenet since the old DOS days when
there was such a thing as the Usenet guidelines but now that Usenet has
grown up and is now a cynical post-MTV2 generation thing, it had to happen.

It's awfully nice, quiet and polite in here though!

Richard.

Old 17-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:
It is perfectly genuine, the stuff is on their website.

http://news.individual.net/commercial.php

Personally, while sad I'm not surprised, but I think it just got

too
popular.. At 10 Euro it's still a bargain.

Yes, I've checked, too, and I see that it is genuine; and six quid is
certainly a bargain, even with their occasional erratic failures to
post (the dreaded "line 3 too long").

Never, in who knows how many years have I had a failure to post a
message AFAIK. Anyway, always was worth the money :-)
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-02-2005, 07:57 PM
JennyC

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote

It is perfectly genuine, the stuff is on their website.

http://news.individual.net/commercial.php

Personally, while sad I'm not surprised, but I think it just got too
popular.. At 10 Euro it's still a bargain.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Oh well, if you think it's OK Chris, it probably is :~))
Jenny

Are things quiet, or is it my news server? Dave Gillingham Orchids 2 04-03-2005 10:02 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM