Old 16-02-2005, 07:53 AM
JennyC

Default News server?

Did any more of you get an email about the News.Individual.NET starting to
charge for their service:

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
a fee-based service.............

snip

Important notes:
Effective from April 1th, 2005, all non-converted accounts will stop
working.

Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews
project are not effected by the changes described above. Nothing will
change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

???????????

Jenny

Old 16-02-2005, 08:27 AM
Broadback

JennyC wrote:
Did any more of you get an email about the News.Individual.NET starting to
charge for their service:

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
a fee-based service.............

snip

Important notes:
Effective from April 1th, 2005, all non-converted accounts will stop
working.

Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews
project are not effected by the changes described above. Nothing will
change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

???????????

Jenny

Yes Jenny I did, very sad I have found it excellent, I wonder if there
is another (free) one as good. My Internet provider has one but there
seems a lot of controversy surrounding it. Anyone have any suggestions
as to an alternative?
Old 16-02-2005, 10:44 AM
JennyC

"VivienB" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:27:33 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

JennyC wrote:
Did any more of you get an email about the News.Individual.NET starting to
charge for their service:

Yes Jenny I did, very sad I have found it excellent, I wonder if there
is another (free) one as good. My Internet provider has one but there
seems a lot of controversy surrounding it. Anyone have any suggestions
as to an alternative?

I got it too. I have been surprised a free service has been possible
so long, considering the level of junk-filtering needed now! At 10
Euros a *year*, the fee is not unreasonable.
Regards, VivienB

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was rip-off spam !
Jenny

Old 16-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Mike

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was rip-off spam !
Jenny

Very wise.

Beware the scam on ebay accounts. You will be targeted and informed that
illegal transactions have taken place on your account and would you please
confirm your details and pass words etc. I suspected that it was a scam and
went and looked following their instructions!!! Very very authentic!! I did
nothing and my account is still open and trading some 2 months after the
event. AND I still get the scams :-((

Mike

Old 16-02-2005, 11:33 AM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message ...

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was rip-off spam !
Jenny

Very wise.

Beware the scam on ebay accounts. You will be targeted and informed that
illegal transactions have taken place on your account and would you please
confirm your details and pass words etc. I suspected that it was a scam and
went and looked following their instructions!!! Very very authentic!! I did
nothing and my account is still open and trading some 2 months after the
event. AND I still get the scams :-((

Mike

Yes, but it not ebay.....
It seems genuine enough ......
Jenny

Old 16-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was

rip-off
spam ! Jenny

Very wise.

Beware the scam on ebay accounts. [...good stuff snipped...]

Yes, but it not ebay.....
It seems genuine enough ......
Jenny

I'm still suspicious. I received the email, but Yahoo! put it in my
bulk folder: surely the real people would have been able to
circumvent that? I regularly receive bulk emails that I actually want
from various sources -- BBC, Amazon, etc -- and they go to my inbox
without being intercepted.

And I know they're German, but surely they know better than to write
"April 1th" (significant date) and "March 31th"? Thoundth rather like
a thtunt.

Mike.

Old 16-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Glen Able

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was

rip-off
spam ! Jenny

Very wise.

Beware the scam on ebay accounts. [...good stuff snipped...]

Yes, but it not ebay.....
It seems genuine enough ......
Jenny

I'm still suspicious. I received the email, but Yahoo! put it in my
bulk folder: surely the real people would have been able to
circumvent that? I regularly receive bulk emails that I actually want
from various sources -- BBC, Amazon, etc -- and they go to my inbox
without being intercepted.

And I know they're German, but surely they know better than to write
"April 1th" (significant date) and "March 31th"? Thoundth rather like
a thtunt.

There's a nice phishing quiz here to test (and maybe improve) your skillz:

http://survey.mailfrontier.com/survey/quiztest.html

Old 16-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Broadback

Glen Able wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

JennyC wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was

rip-off

spam ! Jenny

Having been to their site (directly) I believe it genuine. However I
can only find the subscription service in German. Anyone got it in
English yet?
Old 16-02-2005, 06:17 PM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:53:23 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

Did any more of you get an email about the News.Individual.NET starting to
charge for their service:

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
a fee-based service.............

snip

Important notes:
Effective from April 1th, 2005, all non-converted accounts will stop
working.

Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews
project are not effected by the changes described above. Nothing will
change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

???????????

Yes, I got one today but have not read it properly yet. I had been
spending a lot of time on the BBC talk garden group and when I came to
use my Free Agent (the best news reader) I found it was not possible.
I asked CIS.DFN about it and what had changed and was invited to sign
up for News.Individual.Net.
Diana

Jenny

Old 16-02-2005, 07:54 PM
JennyC

"Broadback" wrote in message
Glen Able wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

JennyC wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was
rip-off spam ! Jenny

Having been to their site (directly) I believe it genuine. However I
can only find the subscription service in German. Anyone got it in
English yet?

http://news.individual.net/register.php (GB version)

I mailed them back :
I use the News.Individual.NET server to access newsgroups. Does this
mean I need to sign up or not ?

and this is the reply I got:

Yes, you need to sign up if you want to continue using your account
for News.Individual.NET.
Regards,
Bettina Fink

I suppose we could all wait until April to see if it is a hoax :~))
Meanwhile I'll try using my providers news server, Maybe it's improved since I
last tried it:~)
Jenny

Old 17-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Broadback
writes

--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
JennyC wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

I don't mind paying at all. I just wondered whether it was

rip-off
spam ! Jenny

Very wise.

Beware the scam on ebay accounts. [...good stuff snipped...]

Yes, but it not ebay.....
It seems genuine enough ......
Jenny

I'm still suspicious. I received the email, but Yahoo! put it in my
bulk folder: surely the real people would have been able to
circumvent that?

No scanning system is going to be perfect and how do n.i.n know what
technique Yahoo use?

And I know they're German, but surely they know better than to write
"April 1th" (significant date) and "March 31th"? Thoundth rather like
a thtunt.

It is perfectly genuine, the stuff is on their website.

http://news.individual.net/commercial.php

Personally, while sad I'm not surprised, but I think it just got too
popular.. At 10 Euro it's still a bargain.
Old 17-02-2005, 02:53 PM
The Reids

Following up to Broadback

Anyone have any suggestions
as to an alternative?

I reckon pay the 10 euros, its a good service, why should it be
free?
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old 17-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Tim Challenger

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:53:23 +0100, JennyC wrote:

Did any more of you get an email about the News.Individual.NET starting to
charge for their service:

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
a fee-based service.............

snip

Important notes:
Effective from April 1th, 2005, all non-converted accounts will stop
working.

Users who use the server News.CIS.DFN.DE as part of the DFNNetNews
project are not effected by the changes described above. Nothing will
change for these users, they do not need to do anything.

???????????

Jenny

I use teranews (www.teranews.com) - they charge a one-off registration fee
(USD3.95)otherwise it's free. For this service you're limited to 50MB /day
downloads (unlimited posting). Which I find perfectly adequate for regular
text newsgroups.
They have other upgrade options if you want.

After a bit of a rocky period last year their service has settled down and
is now quite reliable.

--
Tim C.

Are things quiet, or is it my news server? Dave Gillingham Orchids 2 04-03-2005 10:02 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 9 23-01-2004 06:12 AM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:55 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM
News server gone wild Steve Orchids 0 22-01-2004 06:48 PM