Old 16-02-2005, 05:50 PM
keith ;-\)

Default Min & Max temps to chit spuds?

I have a problem with finding the right spot to chit my potatoes,I know they
want a light,cool, frost free place but I am struggling to find the right
place.I do not have any spare unheated rooms which are ideal.I have a
unheated shed & greenhouse but these go below zero occasionally,like last
night when we get a heavy frost!I have a heated greenhouse which doesn't go
below 55f but on a sunny day can reach 80f,would they be O.K in here?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 16-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Alan Holmes

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
news
I have a problem with finding the right spot to chit my potatoes,I know
they
want a light,cool, frost free place but I am struggling to find the right
place.I do not have any spare unheated rooms which are ideal.I have a
unheated shed & greenhouse but these go below zero occasionally,like last
night when we get a heavy frost!I have a heated greenhouse which doesn't
go
below 55f but on a sunny day can reach 80f,would they be O.K in here?

I put mine on the kitchen windowsill, and they behave quite well there.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 17-02-2005, 01:08 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith ;-\)
I have a problem with finding the right spot to chit my potatoes,I know they
want a light,cool, frost free place but I am struggling to find the right
place.I do not have any spare unheated rooms which are ideal.I have a
unheated shed & greenhouse but these go below zero occasionally,like last
night when we get a heavy frost!I have a heated greenhouse which doesn't go
below 55f but on a sunny day can reach 80f,would they be O.K in here?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
I started mine in a heated greenhouse at around 70 degrees. They were all ( apart from Pink Fir Apple which is only now starting ) sprouting within a week. I've then moved them into an unheated greenhouse which just about hits 0 to slow them down and they're progressing nicely. You could make a fleece enclosure for the nighttime if you're really worried.
Old 17-02-2005, 01:43 PM
shazzbat

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
news
I have a problem with finding the right spot to chit my potatoes,I know
they
want a light,cool, frost free place but I am struggling to find the

right
place.I do not have any spare unheated rooms which are ideal.I have a
unheated shed & greenhouse but these go below zero occasionally,like

last
night when we get a heavy frost!I have a heated greenhouse which doesn't
go
below 55f but on a sunny day can reach 80f,would they be O.K in here?

I put mine on the kitchen windowsill, and they behave quite well there.

Mine are behind me right now in the computer room/unheated bedroom. Sharpes
express, Kestrel, and Maris Piper are all chitting well, but pink fir apple
are not doing anything. Are this type noted for this, or am I being
impatient?

Steve

Old 17-02-2005, 09:11 PM
keith ;-\)

Thanks all for the advise,I have them in the coolest part of the house at
the moment.I have one of the four tier mini greenhouses without the plastic
cover as this ripped,the frame/shelves I have put in my unheated greenhouse
for use as staging I could cover this with fleece to protect the tubers?I
should really have used bubble insulation in my unheated greenhouse but
haven't had the greenhouse up for long so haven't got round to it would this
be enough protection?
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.
"DJBrenton" wrote in message
news

keith ;-\) Wrote:
[...]

max international, mlm business opportunity, MaxGXL, networkmarketing opportunity , Max GXL, MaxWLX, Max N-fuze, Max WLX, m Orchids 0 19-09-2009 06:12 PM
Min/Max Thermometer Broadback United Kingdom 8 02-02-2007 01:03 AM
min/max temps Phil L United Kingdom 1 08-03-2005 05:56 AM
calibrating max/min jim United Kingdom 5 10-10-2004 09:23 PM
Propagator veg min temps ? Paul England United Kingdom 7 10-02-2003 07:20 PM