Old 17-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Gregg Mcaleer

Default Moss

Forumsters,
i've got moss on the wall surrounding my garden.What's the
best stuff to get rid of it?Regards.

Old 17-02-2005, 10:16 PM
Mike Lyle

Roger Hembury wrote:
Elbow grease?

"Gregg Mcaleer" wrote in message
Forumsters,
i've got moss on the wall surrounding my
garden.What's the
best stuff to get rid of it?Regards.

Leave it there, and enjoy it. If you've got a habitat for moss,
you'll get moss whatever you do. Why don't you like it?

Mike.

Old 17-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Gregg Mcaleer

That means you're in the same position as me,you don't know!
I use enough elbow grease at work thank you very much.

Old 17-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Roger Hembury

"Gregg Mcaleer" wrote in message
That means you're in the same position as me,you don't know!
I use enough elbow grease at work thank you very much.

Possibly, but I do have moss growing on the roof of the house and the garage
and the only way I have found to get rid of it is to use 'elbow grease'. I
have to get up a ladder and scrape it off otherwise during really heavy
downpours of rain it gets into the gutters and clogs them up.

How the hell does it get there in the first place?

Also have a load of it growing in my lawns which is going to be a real pain
to get rid of.

Old 17-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Phil L

Gregg Mcaleer wrote:
:: Forumsters,
:: i've got moss on the wall surrounding my
:: garden.What's the best stuff to get rid of it?Regards.

A stiff yard brush and some mild detergent.

Spray the detergent onto the brickwork and leave it for a few days then
brush it over with the brush.
Be prepared to do it regularly or just live with it, it doesn't do any harm
to the brickwork, and if it's stonework it actually looks good.

--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 17-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Gregg Mcaleer

Phil,it doesn't look good,it looks absolutely awful!
Have you ever heard of an estate agent talking up moss?If it looked
good,they would!
To get back to the point,someone told me Kerosene would kill it.Has anyone
heard of that one?

Old 17-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Phil L

Gregg Mcaleer wrote:
:: Phil,it doesn't look good,it looks absolutely awful!
:: Have you ever heard of an estate agent talking up moss?If it looked
:: good,they would!
:: To get back to the point,someone told me Kerosene would kill
:: it.Has anyone heard of that one?

(we still don't know if it's brickwork or stonework yet)

Detergent.
stiff brush.

repeat every month.
forever.
:-p

FWIW moss is just a plant like any other so weedkiller will kill it, as will
many other things, but none of them will *remove* it - it will still be
there but black instead of green, for that you have to manually scrape /
brush / hack it away.
And it *will* come back ad infinitum.

HTH
--

http://www.blueyonder256k.myby.co.uk/

Old 17-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Gregg Mcaleer wrote:
Forumsters,
i've got moss on the wall surrounding my garden.What's the
best stuff to get rid of it?Regards.

Mossquitos.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 18-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lyle
If you've got a habitat for moss,
you'll get moss whatever you do.

Mike.
apparently repeated applications of paraquat lead to the creation of a " moss garden ".
Old 18-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Eyebright wrote:
Mike Lyle Wrote:
If you've got a habitat for moss,
you'll get moss whatever you do.

Mike.

apparently repeated applications of paraquat lead to the creation

of a
" moss garden ".

For the brief time when pre-emergent herbicides were being heavily
pushed, some gardening gurus were suggesting that many gardens of the
future would have a moss layer as a matter of course. Out of
curiosity, I tried letting moss spread on one very stony bed of
perennials (I wasn't using herbicides, though), and it was a
disaster, both aesthetically and horticulturally. There's a place for
it, though, with shrubs that can stand up to the moss, and it doesn't
ever get dry and scruffy. Some sites would look raw and immature
without mosses.

Mike.

Old 18-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Gregg Mcaleer" wrote in message
Forumsters,
i've got moss on the wall surrounding my

garden.What's the
best stuff to get rid of it?Regards.

1) A power spray

2) Algon

3) Enjoy it.

Franz

Old 19-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Aub McGillaway

You could try Armillatox - available at many garden centres.

http://www.armillatox.com/