Old 26-02-2005, 02:39 PM
anne

Default snowdrops

Can anyone advise on the best way to get snowdrops to grow. I have tried many
times without success.

Message sent by Excite Newsgroups.
http://www.excite.co.uk/newsgroup

Old 26-02-2005, 03:49 PM
JennyC

"anne" wrote in message
Can anyone advise on the best way to get snowdrops to grow. I have tried many
times without success.

Buy some now and plant 'in the green'.

Mine seem not to mind sun or shade.
Jenny

Old 26-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Brian

"JennyC" wrote in message

"anne" wrote in message
Can anyone advise on the best way to get snowdrops to grow. I have

tried many
times without success.

Buy some now and plant 'in the green'.

Mine seem not to mind sun or shade.
Jenny
--------------------

The above is quite correct. They are one of the few bulbs that
dislike being planted as dry bulbs~~ this tends to make them sulk and often
not recover. Transplanted now, while still green, seems to encourage them
even more than being left in situ. Beg a large clump and divide into
separate bulbs~~~plant at their original level in groups of three. They
dislike being alone and look so lonely! They will all flower next year.
I have never known this to fail~~~ though I have never been able to
establish L.O.Valley whereas others think of it as a weed.
Avoid a steep slope when planting the snowdrops or you will find
future bulbs falling downhill!! Divide again after a few years and you
will soon have a drift of colour.
Best Wishes Brian.
Avoid doubles~~they seem to take longer forming a clump.
Daffodils can also be planted while green.

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM