Old 27-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Furby

Default Is this a Japanese Apricot

I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well, but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

I like the tree just don't know what it is. Can any one help me with the
name of this tree?

Follow the link below to see the pictures.

http://ngtemp.freewebpage.org/

Thanks

Old 27-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Kay

In article , Furby
writes
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well, but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?

I like the tree just don't know what it is. Can any one help me with the
name of this tree?

Is it in flower at the moment?

Follow the link below to see the pictures.

http://ngtemp.freewebpage.org/

It looks a bit like Prunus subhirtella 'autumnalis' (winter flowering
cherry) but a bit too pink for even the pink form of that.
--
Kay

Old 27-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Furby wrote:
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well, but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

I can imagine several things that might be called a Japanese apricot,
but that looks like none of them. No, I can't help, though it does
look like some sort of Prunus and I agree is very decorative. The
flower shape rings a bell, but it is not a plant I grow or know well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Furby

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Furby
writes
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well,

but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but

the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?

I like the tree just don't know what it is. Can any one help me with the
name of this tree?

Is it in flower at the moment?

Follow the link below to see the pictures.

http://ngtemp.freewebpage.org/

It looks a bit like Prunus subhirtella 'autumnalis' (winter flowering
cherry) but a bit too pink for even the pink form of that.
--
Kay

Kay
Those pictures were taken today

Old 27-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Furby
writes
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well, but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?

Loquat is sometimes called that, because the fruit is apricot-like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Kay

In article , Furby
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

Is it in flower at the moment?

Follow the link below to see the pictures.

http://ngtemp.freewebpage.org/

It looks a bit like Prunus subhirtella 'autumnalis' (winter flowering
cherry) but a bit too pink for even the pink form of that.
--

Those pictures were taken today

The Prunus species in flower at the moment are my suggestion above,
blackthorn (which has white flowers) and almond.

--
Kay

Old 28-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Spider

Nick Maclaren wrote in message
In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Furby
writes
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well,

but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but

the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?

Loquat is sometimes called that, because the fruit is apricot-like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Definitely not a Loquat, Nick. I have a large one in my garden. The leaves
are evergreen, large, long and corrugated. The flowers are white, usually
appearing in autumn. I agree with Kay; its a Prunus subhirtella
autumnalis-rosea - probably just a better form than usual.

Spider

Old 28-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Spider" writes:

| Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?
|
| Loquat is sometimes called that, because the fruit is apricot-like.
|
| Definitely not a Loquat, Nick. I have a large one in my garden. The leaves
| are evergreen, large, long and corrugated. The flowers are white, usually
| appearing in autumn. I agree with Kay; its a Prunus subhirtella
| autumnalis-rosea - probably just a better form than usual.

Oh, I agree that it's definitely not a loquat - I have grown a
few from seed and know of several - but a loquat IS sometimes
called a Japanese apricot!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Spider

"Spider" writes:

| Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?
|
| Loquat is sometimes called that, because the fruit is apricot-like.
|
| Definitely not a Loquat, Nick. I have a large one in my garden. The

leaves
| are evergreen, large, long and corrugated. The flowers are white,

usually
| appearing in autumn. I agree with Kay; its a Prunus subhirtella
| autumnalis-rosea - probably just a better form than usual.

Oh, I agree that it's definitely not a loquat - I have grown a
few from seed and know of several - but a loquat IS sometimes
called a Japanese apricot!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

All this confusion over common or English names ... sounds like a good
advertisement for botanical latin tags to me!

Spider

Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Spider" writes:

| All this confusion over common or English names ... sounds like a good
| advertisement for botanical latin tags to me!

Yup. If you want to identify a particular species, then botanical
Latin is the best bet. If you want to be deliberately vague, then
Enlish is better. It is amusing to note the postings - most of us
who are happy with botanical Latin also use English names!

"You have to be careful when pruning sumachs in summer not to get
the sap on sensitive skin, and particularly not in your eyes."

That obviously doesn't mean just genus Rhus :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Brian

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Furby
writes
I've had this tree in my garden for years, its appears to be doing well,

but
its not what I thought it was, I thought it was a Japanese Apricot, but

the
pictures I have of a Japanese Apricot don't look anything like my tree,
also this one has no fruit ?

Is japanese apricot Prunus mume?

I like the tree just don't know what it is. Can any one help me with the
name of this tree?

Is it in flower at the moment?

Follow the link below to see the pictures.

http://ngtemp.freewebpage.org/

It looks a bit like Prunus subhirtella 'autumnalis' (winter flowering
cherry) but a bit too pink for even the pink form of that.
--
Kay

_________________
I think more likely a var. of Prunus dulcis.(Almond) Only a couple
of weeks early~~ but then it hasn't been a normal winter. Feb/March rather
than the normal March/April.
Interestingly, several grafts at the same level giving the blown out
umbrella appearance and relatively narrow branches.. Very attractive but
will be fairly short -lived in bloom, whereas the winter flowering cherry is
starting its fifth month in flower and is far more graceful, subtle and
feminine in appearance. Given the choice of only one "garden" tree the WFC
would be my choice without competition. Though we all have different
preferences.
Best Wishes Brian.

Cutting new leaves off deciduous trees -- prunus mume, Japanese flowering plum/apricot Just another old guy Bonsai 0 19-04-2009 09:55 PM
Apricot seedling cb Edible Gardening 15 13-07-2003 05:08 AM
apricot tree without flowers or fruits Lil Gardening 7 29-05-2003 08:56 PM
Double Rose of Sharon (peach or apricot) Purchgdss Gardening 2 31-03-2003 12:08 AM
Temperamental apricot tree Polar Edible Gardening 0 13-03-2003 05:45 AM