Old 28-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Michael Berridge

Default Looking good for the time of year!

Jim W wrote in message
1fnvhwv.7dglsu1gkn4hsN%00senetnospam@macunlimited .net...
Well I was out picking Buddlia (x weyeranni) yesterday, the bulbs are
coming up in the 3 year old window troughs amongst the primulas, and
despite the rain the dry bits are quite nice..

I guess we can look forward to the 'cold' weather between now and March
as ususal!-)

Just seen that the first snowdrops are showing colour, the first time
I've had Snowdrops and lobelia at the same time! Still have a climbing
rose full of flower.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk
In Lincolnshire (north)

Old 29-12-2002, 01:34 AM
Scott L. Hadley

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message

Jim W wrote in message
1fnvhwv.7dglsu1gkn4hsN%00senetnospam@macunlimited .net...
Well I was out picking Buddlia (x weyeranni) yesterday, the bulbs are
coming up in the 3 year old window troughs amongst the primulas, and
despite the rain the dry bits are quite nice..

I guess we can look forward to the 'cold' weather between now and March
as ususal!-)

Just seen that the first snowdrops are showing colour, the first time
I've had Snowdrops and lobelia at the same time! Still have a climbing
rose full of flower.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk
In Lincolnshire (north)

Is this not awfully early for a sign of spring, even for England? And your
rose and lobelia a leftover of fall? The two extremes could never meet in
passing where I live. I remember being amazed years ago when reading books
by English garden writers about your snowdrops appearing sometime in
January. (Mine come in late March, Maine, US)
Well, this is the kind of thing I always love to read from your part of the
world, esp on this newsgroup.

Old 29-12-2002, 04:39 AM

Scott Hadley wrote:

Is this not awfully early for a sign of spring, even for England? And your
rose and lobelia a leftover of fall? The two extremes could never meet in
passing where I live. I remember being amazed years ago when reading books
by English garden writers about your snowdrops appearing sometime in
January. (Mine come in late March, Maine, US)

You know, this post reminds me of when I used to be so envious of the
generally hot and long summers they get over in the US. However, I've
now cured myself of that since I think I would rather have the mild
winters we seem to be getting nowadays coupled with cooler, but still
very productive summers. A growing season of about 9 months can't be
all that bad... can it? Apart from one night several weeks ago when
temperatures plunged to a wickedly chilly 3C, (37F) the lowest its
been here since last February is just over 5C (41F). In many parts of
the country, winter has been a 'non-event' so far and here down on the
south coast, daytime highs easily reach 15C (59F) when the sun comes
out.

Nuff of the figures, what this means is that many plants do not stop
growing until early in the year (if they do at all) and many spring
bulbs are already springing! Out in the lane behind my garden, winter
aconites have been in flower for nearly 3 weeks, wild snowdrops are
about to flower and daffodils are well advanced. I did a bit of
weeding out front earlier this week and noticed that many tulips are
just breaking the soil surface. Similarly, Cannas and Hedychiums
(ginger-lilies) which I leave out all year-round) are already pushing
out thumb-thick new shoots, despite most of them still remaining in
flower.

As to flowering plants, I decided to give an out of control Jasmine
(Jasminum polyanthum) which has rampaged over the fence, an off-season
pruning. I came away with armfuls of heavily scented, pink-budded
white flowers for the house, but have to admit that indoors, the
intense, banana-like fragrance is too overpowering. There are some
vividly cheery splashes of chrome yellow from South African Daisy
bushes (Euryops), which seem to prefer flowering in winter now they
have reached maturity. Just below them, self sown Corsican Hellebores
(Helleborus lividus ssp) are in bud and about to open their pale, lime
green chalices and I have a few of last year's 'pot' Cyclamen (mainly
reds and purples) planted at their feet to accompany them.

Most plants are still growing away well (Bananas included Sacha!!),
but this seeming paradise comes with its own peculiar problems. Mild
temperatures and no frosts mean that pests continue to rampage
unabated. Greenfly and moth caterpillar are having a field day and I
was horrified to discover that several of my palms (Butia, Phoenix,
Brahea & Arenga) are smothered in scale insects. Goodness know what
I'll use to combat these - manual control is impossible and there are
precious few insecticides available nowadays that will effectively
deal with the problem. I hate using the stuff, but it looks like I'll
have to resort to using a mixture of malathion and soft soap. Urghh!

Dave Poole
TORQUAY UK
Old 29-12-2002, 01:51 PM
TheGardener

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fnvhwv.7dglsu1gkn4hsN%00senetnospam@macunlim ited.net...
Well I was out picking Buddlia (x weyeranni) yesterday, the bulbs are
coming up in the 3 year old window troughs amongst the primulas, and
despite the rain the dry bits are quite nice..

I guess we can look forward to the 'cold' weather between now and March
as ususal!-)

Have fun folks..

//
Jim
North London, England, UK

Looking out onto a rain-soaked garden, there is still loads of interest in
the garden:

Carex 'Sparkler'
Clematis cirrhosa 'Wisley Cream'
Cyclamen coum
Eccremocarpus scaber
Eleagnus pungens 'Maculata'
Fatsia japonica
Fatshedera lizei
Garrya elliptica
Hamamelis mollis
Hedera species
Helleborus orientalis
Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle'
Liriope muscari
Mahonia japonica
Miscanthus in variety
Pittosporum tobira variegata
Rheineckia carnea
Saxifraga fortunei 'Black Ruby'
Schizostylis major
Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn'
Viburnum tinus
Zantedeschia aethiopica

as well as a few Fuchsias in sheltered positions, daffodils pushing through
(different varieties between 1 and 3 inches above ground), bluebells
starting to push through, and Cornus mas and Corylopsis pauciflora ready to
open their buds. I suppose we will pay for all this in January and February
though, if previous years are anything to go by!
--
Chrissie (gardening in Redditch, Worcestershire)
http://www.thegardener.btinternet.co.uk

Old 30-12-2002, 08:14 PM
Mike Gilmore

This is one of the many joys of gardening here in the UK. No matter how
'crazy' your own situation appears there's always someplace crazier! I am
currently enjoying a riot of colour from a bed of alstroemeria. Don't they
EVER stop flowering? Mind, the Dahlias look pretty sick!

Old 30-12-2002, 11:56 PM
Michael Berridge

Scott L. Hadley wrote in message

Is this not awfully early for a sign of spring, even for England? And

your
rose and lobelia a leftover of fall? The two extremes could never meet

in
passing where I live. I remember being amazed years ago when reading

books
by English garden writers about your snowdrops appearing sometime in
January. (Mine come in late March, Maine, US)
Well, this is the kind of thing I always love to read from your part of

the
world, esp on this newsgroup.

Winter, so far has been very mild and also very wet, temperatures have
been into the 50's regularly, with, as far as I recall, only two or
three mild frosts. We are warned that we may get another frost in the
next few days, but I even have osteospermum in flower today.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk