Old 07-03-2005, 05:55 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 01:54:04 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

I just looked at 3 cans of pumpkin(made by 3 different
companies) of pumpkin on the shelf in a store. They all say that that the
can contains "Pumpkin" or "Prepared Pumpkin", and they all include recipes
for making pumpkin pies.

They all say that they have added no preservatives. However one serving
size on one can lists 5 mg of sodium, the other two say 0 mg of socium
(sodium is a perservative). They all say one serving has 9 to 10
carbohydrates and they all say 4 g of sugar per serving (that could be the
natural sugar in the pumpkin, rather than added sugar). I guess it all
depends on who you buy it from, whether you find sodium in your canned
pumpkin or not.

Sodium is ubiquitous in living organisms. That little sodium is surely
naturally occurring. Likewise, the sugar is surely naturally occurring
sugar. If you have to watch your sugar intake, you learn that squashes
are many of them considered "sweet vegetables" and are to be eaten in
modest quantities only.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
Old 09-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 02:52:24 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

I saw that recipe, but it included salt which is considered to be a
preservative. I thought he may have had another recipe that he had not
posted, because in a later post he stated that canned pumpkin doesnt have
preservatives or salt or anything else in it.

The salt in that recipe is a flavor enhancer, not a preservative.
That's why a small amount of salt is called for by many recipes.

Salt can act as a preservative, for example in pickles, but the
quantities involved are much greater.

Remember: a lot more of a good thing isn't necessarily better; and a
lot less of a bad thing might be just dandy.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada
to send email, change atlantic to pacific
and invalid to net

identifying new pumpkin was re; pumpkin curry soup meee Australia 1 28-11-2005 03:14 AM
Joe Pie Weed Foxfield United Kingdom 7 21-09-2005 11:01 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit dstvns Gardening 9 20-07-2003 11:12 PM
Pie cherry tree problems...no fruit J. Lane Edible Gardening 3 20-07-2003 11:04 PM
robins and cow pie buffets madgard Gardening 2 10-02-2003 04:25 AM