Old 06-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Horse Trader

Default Raised Bed for Veggies

I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by approximately 12
inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what to grow
in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any interesting ideas
for veggies in a small bed like this.

SH

Old 06-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Harold Walker

"Horse Trader" [spam] wrote in message
I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by approximately 12
inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what to grow
in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any interesting ideas
for veggies in a small bed like this.

SH

Whatever "turns you on".....H

Old 06-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Mike Lyle

Harold Walker wrote:
"Horse Trader" [spam] wrote in message
I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by

approximately
12 inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what
to grow in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any

interesting
ideas for veggies in a small bed like this.

SH

Whatever "turns you on".....H

You can get a surprising amount of vegetables from a small area like
that, if you're organised. The thing to do is spend a long time
reading the seed packets or catalogues, and choose the small
varieties and probably the ones which mature most quickly, and ones
which will fill gaps of time. Don't put in more than you can use. You
can afford to plant rather closer than the instructions recommend.
Forget potatoes, of course. If you don't mind growing some vegetables
in the flower-beds, you can cheat by putting some climbing beans and
broccoli in there, too.

Mike.

Old 07-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Mike Lyle wrote:
Harold Walker wrote:
[...]

I'm with you there, Mike. We have runners growing up an Agriframe in a
couple of flowerbeds - for obvious reasons (in fact, so I've been told, in
days gone by runners weren't grown for their pods, but for cut flowers and
used to be intermingled with sweet peas, then it was discovered that the
pods were edible). I don't care for runner beans myself, but I do love the
flowers!

This year, to save space, my father is considering doing exactly that -
having sweet peas and runners on the same frame - as he wants more space to
grow beetroot (my mother's favourite).

on salads.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Steve Harris

In article ,
[spam] (Horse Trader) wrote:

However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.

It's about 3 times the size of any of my vegetable beds!

Have a look at
http://www.netservs.com/garden//veg.htm

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Old 08-03-2005, 06:22 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Horse
Trader writes
I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by approximately 12
inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.

At 6ft. wide you may have problems reaching the centre of the raised bed
without treading on the soil thus causing compaction.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what to grow
in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any interesting ideas
for veggies in a small bed like this.

Curly kale and leafbeet/perpetual spinach are two reliable and
productive crops, also there's a very wide choice of Oriental salad
leaves available. Radish are a good quick crop for small spaces.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
David

"Horse Trader" [spam] wrote in message
I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by approximately 12
inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what to grow
in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any interesting ideas
for veggies in a small bed like this.

SH

Try growing sweetcorn? Whilst the plants are young you can intersperse with
salad crops for variety,

regards,

David

Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:47:30 -0000, Horse Trader wrote:

I have just prepared a small raised bed for veggies.
It is in a reasonable sunny position and is raised by approximately 12
inches.
However, it is quite small - only 6ft by 9ft.
I grow tomatoes & cucumber in my greenhouse & was thinking of what to grow
in the new bed.
Apart from carrots & spring onions, has anybody got any interesting ideas
for veggies in a small bed like this.

Have a look he http://www.squarefootgardening.com/
I can recommend the book. I have a really old edition.
You'll be surprised what you can grow in a little patch.

--
Tim C.