Old 20-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Nicholas

Default An early night tonight !!!

Just spent the day digging the allotment... got about a quarter done.

Never been so tired in my life!

An hour a day from now on ....

Cheers

Nicholas

--
Shameless plugs...

Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net
Vote out Tom Levitt.

www.voteoutlevitt.co.uk

Old 20-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nicholas" wrote
Just spent the day digging the allotment... got about a quarter done.

Never been so tired in my life!

An hour a day from now on ....

If you aren't used to "back" work then you need to work up to it, but, and
this is the most important, you need to work down at the end not just stop.
Don't do 10 mins the first night, 20 the next, 30 the next and so on for
weeks until finished and then just suddenly stop.
According to the experts that sudden stop is what caused my arthritis of the
spine. Be warned.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Klara

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Don't do 10 mins the first night, 20 the next, 30 the next and so on
for weeks until finished and then just suddenly stop. According to the
experts that sudden stop is what caused my arthritis of the spine. Be
warned.

Really!? That's certainly useful to know, though I'm not sure how much
choice I have: weeks meeting deadlines and never moving from the
computer, then three free days - whee! - we both do battle with the
garden - then back to computer for another month: seems we're doing
ourselves no favours ...
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 21-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote ...
after, Bob replied
Don't do 10 mins the first night, 20 the next, 30 the next and so on for
weeks until finished and then just suddenly stop. According to the experts
that sudden stop is what caused my arthritis of the spine. Be warned.

Really!? That's certainly useful to know, though I'm not sure how much
choice I have: weeks meeting deadlines and never moving from the computer,
then three free days - whee! - we both do battle with the garden - then
back to computer for another month: seems we're doing ourselves no favours

Three days isn't so bad, I worked every night until I was exhausted and it
went on for weeks. So whilst at first I could only manage to dig for, say,
half an hour, by the end I was digging like a navvy until bed time.
Then the pond was dug and I just sat back with my G + T.
Some months later I couldn't stand up, walk, sit in a car without crying
with pain. (and I am built like a navvy!)

Old 21-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Klara

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Three days isn't so bad, I worked every night until I was exhausted and
it went on for weeks. So whilst at first I could only manage to dig
for, say, half an hour, by the end I was digging like a navvy until bed
time. Then the pond was dug and I just sat back with my G + T. Some
months later I couldn't stand up, walk, sit in a car without crying
with pain. (and I am built like a navvy!)

Months later! Isn't the body a strange thing? I hope it's not so bad
now, and that you can enjoy the fruit of your labours!!!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 21-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Bob Hobden

"Klara" wrote ...
after Bob writes
Three days isn't so bad, I worked every night until I was exhausted and it
went on for weeks. So whilst at first I could only manage to dig for, say,
half an hour, by the end I was digging like a navvy until bed time. Then
the pond was dug and I just sat back with my G + T. Some months later I
couldn't stand up, walk, sit in a car without crying with pain. (and I am
built like a navvy!)

Months later! Isn't the body a strange thing? I hope it's not so bad now,
and that you can enjoy the fruit of your labours!!!

Athletes warm up before and warm down afterwards, we should do the same
short term and long term.
Yes, we have enjoyed it for the past 20+ years.

Old 22-03-2005, 11:06 AM
jane

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:54:52 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

~
~"Klara" wrote ...
~after Bob writes
~Three days isn't so bad, I worked every night until I was exhausted and it
~went on for weeks. So whilst at first I could only manage to dig for, say,
~half an hour, by the end I was digging like a navvy until bed time. Then
~the pond was dug and I just sat back with my G + T. Some months later I
~couldn't stand up, walk, sit in a car without crying with pain. (and I am
~built like a navvy!)
~
~ Months later! Isn't the body a strange thing? I hope it's not so bad now,
~ and that you can enjoy the fruit of your labours!!!
~
~Athletes warm up before and warm down afterwards, we should do the same
~short term and long term.
~Yes, we have enjoyed it for the past 20+ years.

My physio told me that humans are built to be continually moving. It's
not so much the exercise that gives us problems if we are doing it
continually, it's the not doing it. We seize up. Hence why medics are
always urging us to do moderate exercise - even walking - 3 or so
times a week.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 22-03-2005, 03:06 PM
Klara

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Athletes warm up before and warm down afterwards, we should do the same
short term and long term. Yes, we have enjoyed it for the past 20+
years.

When I was very young, I met someone who had been digging what was going
to become a swimming pool. It was a sort of muddy hole, with frogs in
it, and he had been digging it for 13 years! At the time this was more
than half my lifetime and seemed an age and I was appalled ... somehow
13 years doesn't seem quite so long now ;-)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Klara

In message , jane
writes
My physio told me that humans are built to be continually moving. It's
not so much the exercise that gives us problems if we are doing it
continually, it's the not doing it. We seize up. Hence why medics are
always urging us to do moderate exercise - even walking - 3 or so times
a week.

I think computers have a lot to answer for: not only is it getting the
work done, but then there are emails from friends and family, urg to
read, google news to read, I'll just look up the weather - wonder what I
should be doing in the garden, I'll just look it up ... etc. etc. So I
do seize up. Our 80-year-old paper lady, on the other hand, has a
4-5-mile round: small and wizened, she strides along like a 20-year-old!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin