Old 25-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Dwayne

Default bananas

I would cut all the leaves off, then cut a few inches off the top at a time
until you come to some green. Then leave it alone. If you don't come to
some green, cut it to within 6 inches of the dirt, and leave it alone for a
few months.

Banana trees grown commercially, are cut off at the ground after harvesting
the stock of bananas. The tree then sends up a shoot from the roots, and
these are the replacement trees. If yours is still alive, it will put up a
new shoot, and next year it will be your new tree.

Dwayne

wrote in message
news
Hello,

I bought a banana plant last year but I am afraid it has gone all
brown. I had to go away for a few weeks and I think that's when the
damage was done. The family came and looked after the house and I
guess either forgot to water it or over watered.

Will it recover? Is there anything I should do? Do I cut all the brown
leaves off?

Thanks.

Old 16-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
wrote:

I followed your advice but what is left of the plant, the six inch
stem has now gone soft and rotten. Is it time to put it on the compost
heap, or is there hope it might burst into life again?

It depends entirely on whether there is life in the roots. If so,
perhaps.

I bought this one from a nursery, only to find that weeks later B&Q
were selling bananas for half the price! What time of year do they
come for sale? I'm wondering if they might have them again this year
at B&Q?

Ask B&Q. Bananas are typical of the true humid tropics, where the
time of year is almost irrelevant. When B&Q choose to sell them will
be decided by marketdroids, few of whom would be able to tell a
banana plant from a monkey puzzle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.