Old 25-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Tony

Default planting time for a new border

I'm a relative novice to planting and I have a small plot at the front
of the house ,14ft x 7 ft & north facing, which I have just cleared
the weeds from and would like to now populate with plants.

I am thinking of predominatly perennials, which perhaps a splash of
annual colour at the front. The problem is I dont know when to plant
the perennials, the local garden centre as only a limited stock and I
really don't see what I want, is it that its too early or is the
garden centre at fault.

If I find suitable plants I suppose I can keep them in the pots and
sheltered until planting time, but when is the best time for that.

When does the garden centres have their best perennials..

Is there any good perennial nurseries in west yorkshire

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tony

Leeds , West Yorkshire
Old 25-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Kay

In article , Tony
writes
I'm a relative novice to planting and I have a small plot at the front
of the house ,14ft x 7 ft & north facing, which I have just cleared
the weeds from and would like to now populate with plants.

I am thinking of predominatly perennials, which perhaps a splash of
annual colour at the front. The problem is I dont know when to plant
the perennials, the local garden centre as only a limited stock and I
really don't see what I want, is it that its too early or is the
garden centre at fault.

Plants sold in pots can be planted at any time of the year. Garden
centres tend to concentrate on the plants in bloom at the time, which
makes sense as that's the way most people buy. Two ways around 1) visit
the garden centre at intervals during the year, buying as you go, so you
don't end up with a garden that is in flower for just one month of the
year b) look up in gardening books (pubic library or Waterstones) for
plants you like, then look for them in the less obvious bits of the
garden centre.

Try High Trees on Old Otley Road between Cookridge and the airport for a
better range of plants than most garden centres.

--
Kay

Old 25-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Tony

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:28:40 +0000, Kay
wrote:

Plants sold in pots can be planted at any time of the year. Garden
centres tend to concentrate on the plants in bloom at the time, which
makes sense as that's the way most people buy. Two ways around 1) visit
the garden centre at intervals during the year, buying as you go, so you
don't end up with a garden that is in flower for just one month of the
year b) look up in gardening books (pubic library or Waterstones) for
plants you like, then look for them in the less obvious bits of the
garden centre.

Try High Trees on Old Otley Road between Cookridge and the airport for a
better range of plants than most garden centres.

Thanks for the sound advice Kay.

I'll give high trees a visit over the w/e

... Tony
Old 26-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Kieran23

If you are buying very young plants grow them on in pots somewhere
where you can't see much slug activity, such as the back yard. I've
bought young plants to save money in the past, only to have them vanish
overnight.

Tong Garden Centre is somewhere on the Ikea side of Leeds which had a
lot of choice when I went - but wasn't the cheapest, or the easiest to
find.

Old 26-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Magwitch

Tony muttered:

I'm a relative novice to planting and I have a small plot at the front
of the house ,14ft x 7 ft & north facing, which I have just cleared
the weeds from and would like to now populate with plants.

I am thinking of predominatly perennials, which perhaps a splash of
annual colour at the front. The problem is I dont know when to plant
the perennials, the local garden centre as only a limited stock and I
really don't see what I want, is it that its too early or is the
garden centre at fault.

If I find suitable plants I suppose I can keep them in the pots and
sheltered until planting time, but when is the best time for that.

When does the garden centres have their best perennials..

Is there any good perennial nurseries in west yorkshire

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Tony

Leeds , West Yorkshire

Plant when the soil warms up... the odd late frost shouldn't be a problem
unless you've watered them in and then the same night the frost freezes any
water around the roots. For a great range, ideas and some info try:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/

All their mail order plants have been ok for me. You can even order one of
their 'designer' beds.

Old 26-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Tony

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:23:01 +0100, Magwitch wrote:

Plant when the soil warms up... the odd late frost shouldn't be a problem
unless you've watered them in and then the same night the frost freezes any
water around the roots. For a great range, ideas and some info try:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/

All their mail order plants have been ok for me. You can even order one of
their 'designer' beds.

I had thought about mail order but I remember years ago my mother
ordered some mail order plants which turned up bare roots and in bad
condition.. But I see from your link that these plants are supplied in
potss, I like the idea of seeing the actual plant in the garden
centre, but I can never actually find the exact plant I want, at least
with the mail order the choice is larger and you can research the
variety online..

Will try mail order for the bulk purchase & fill in with plants from
the garden centers & nurseries..

What about

www.gardeningexpress.co.uk

Any dealings with them..

... Tony
Old 26-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Kay

In article .com,
Kieran23 writes
If you are buying very young plants grow them on in pots somewhere
where you can't see much slug activity, such as the back yard. I've
bought young plants to save money in the past, only to have them vanish
overnight.

Tong Garden Centre is somewhere on the Ikea side of Leeds which had a
lot of choice when I went - but wasn't the cheapest, or the easiest to
find.

I wasn't impressed by their range when I went.

--
Kay

Old 29-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Magwitch

Tony muttered:

What about

www.gardeningexpress.co.uk

Any dealings with them..

None so far... but did a quick site search for 'Phlomis' and drew a blank.
Crocus has a wider range and their prices seem comparable.