Old 31-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Tumbleweed

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

snip

Of course, NIN isnt perfect or infallible, I am sure there must be times
its servers are down, or some of them. Just hasnt happened to me.....
yet....... touch wood.....cross fingers.

I just knew I shoudnt have done that :-) look what I just got!

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject ' Who ordered the
movies?', Account: 'news.individual.net', Server: 'news.individual.net',
Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '502 Temporary database problem. Please try
again later.', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 502, Error Number:
0x800CCC17

Now, this is a reply, so I'll try again...hmm, its just gone so must have
been very temporary.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 31-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

snip

Of course, NIN isnt perfect or infallible, I am sure there must

be
times its servers are down, or some of them. Just hasnt happened

me..... yet....... touch wood.....cross fingers.

I just knew I shoudnt have done that :-) look what I just got!

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject ' Who
ordered the movies?', Account: 'news.individual.net', Server:
'news.individual.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '502
Temporary database problem. Please try again later.', Port: 119,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 502, Error Number: 0x800CCC17

Now, this is a reply, so I'll try again...hmm, its just gone so

must
have been very temporary.

Murphy's out today, lads! Its other occasional favourite is "Line 3
too long", which seems to indicate a particular thread has received
too many messages; when it's appeared, though, I haven't noticed any
consistency about the length of thread which triggers it. No apparent
consistency, either, about whether it will retrieve the message from
one's OE outbox with the next posting or the next synchronisation. So
I think it's a matter of the handling of transient conditions, and
probably a weakness left over from early days when Usenet was
smaller.

In case anybody would like it, I Googled the following list:

http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php?offset=0

I doubt if it's complete or up to date (it doesn't mention
news.individual's change to a modest charge, or Teranews's once-only
registration fee). There's also Google Groups, of course, but that's
a web-based news archive, rather than a client-based news server; but
it's better in some respects than it used to be as a stop-gap, and
the archive is very good.

--
Mike.

Old 31-03-2005, 07:51 PM
JennyC

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German
newsfeeder, and want to check whether this one works as
well......... Jenny
snipped

You're lucky, or maybe don't so often use the heavier-traffic
newsgroups: it chokes every so often on busy groups (I've never had
it do so on urg), and displays a fictitious error message instead of
posting. Yesterday, it wouldn't download at all for a period; this is
less frequent, though.
Mike.

I've capitulated and signed up. I've never had any trouble with the DFNN server
which I've been using for years and years. maybe it will be quieter if not
everyone pays up :~)
Jenny

pH testing sw United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 06:08 PM
water testing, and a chemistry lesson rnj Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
soil testing R B North Carolina 3 17-03-2003 04:32 PM
water testing Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 22-02-2003 10:48 PM
Soil testing kits Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2003 12:18 AM