Old 30-03-2005, 04:50 PM
JennyC

Default Testing 1 2 3

Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German newsfeeder, and want
to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

Old 30-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Mike Lyle

JennyC wrote:
Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German

newsfeeder,
and want to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called "amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

--
Mike.

Old 30-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Broadback

Mike Lyle wrote:
JennyC wrote:

Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German

newsfeeder,

and want to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called "amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

Strange I have never had problems. The filtering is good as well,
except when someone replies. :-(
Old 30-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Rod

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:47:29 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
JennyC wrote:

Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German

newsfeeder,

and want to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called "amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

Strange I have never had problems. The filtering is good as well,
except when someone replies. :-(

I do mind paying and don't like the ways they are offering for me to
pay so I'm with my ISP's own news server atm and it's
sloo.............ooow - really hard work. Anybody using a good free
one?

Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 30-03-2005, 06:59 PM
JennyC

wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
JennyC wrote:

Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German
newsfeeder,
and want to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called "amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

Strange I have never had problems. The filtering is good as well,
except when someone replies. :-(

I do mind paying and don't like the ways they are offering for me to
pay so I'm with my ISP's own news server atm and it's
sloo.............ooow - really hard work. Anybody using a good free
one?
Rod

I don't really mind paying, and will probably end up joining the
Krauts..........but I thought I'd try my ISP's own news feeder.....It shows 0
posts ATM while the German one has 9 !!

Maybe I can sign up in time for Friday :~)
Jenny

Old 30-03-2005, 07:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German

newsfeeder,
and want to check whether this one works as well.........
Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called "amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

--
Mike.

It has never (AFAICR) gone wrong for me in the past 18 or so months.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 30-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
Sorry about this, but I have not signed up for the German
newsfeeder, and want to check whether this one works as
well......... Jenny

I get confused around headers, but is this new one called

"amstwist"?
If so, do please supply details. I don't mind paying for the

German
server, but it does go wrong quite often, so I'm always interested

in
alternatives -- was considering Teranews.

--
Mike.

It has never (AFAICR) gone wrong for me in the past 18 or so

months.

You're lucky, or maybe don't so often use the heavier-traffic
newsgroups: it chokes every so often on busy groups (I've never had
it do so on urg), and displays a fictitious error message instead of
posting. Yesterday, it wouldn't download at all for a period; this is
less frequent, though.

--
Mike.

Old 30-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

The busiest newsgroup I use probably gets 500-800 messages a day max. Dunno
if thats a lot or not?

Old 30-03-2005, 10:53 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

That's a lot. What's going on, then? Do you also use OE? (And would
the reader make any difference?)

--
Mike.

Old 31-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Brian Watson

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

The busiest newsgroup I use probably gets 500-800 messages a day max.
Dunno if thats a lot or not?

I used to subscribe to a newsgroup on a Trappist monastic order but it never
got any posts.

--
Brian
"Anyway, if you have been, thanks for listening."

Old 31-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

I do use OE, and as I said have had no issues with NIN for the 18 months or
so of using it (Or, AFAICR, for the period of a year when i used it some
time before that). Makes no difference if its a newsgroup that gets 2 or 3
messages, or 500+. I would suspect your ISP as a starter . Who is it? Or it
might be an issue with your outlook set up, have you tried using an
alternative newsreader at the times that you are having problem?

Old 31-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Broadback

Brian Watson wrote:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

The busiest newsgroup I use probably gets 500-800 messages a day max.
Dunno if thats a lot or not?

I used to subscribe to a newsgroup on a Trappist monastic order but it never
got any posts.

I said earlier in this thread that I have never had a problem with the
"kraut" one, as it was so elegantly put, however how would I know if I
did not get all the messages? ;-)
Old 31-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in

message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

My ISP is AOL (and I don't like that much, either). But, yes, when
the German server plays up I find Google Groups works. People in
another (and very IT-savvy) newsgroup I use also say news.individual
does this funny thing of refusing to post a message "every two or
three months", so it isn't just me; and occasionally (I don't know:
once or twice a year?) we get people on different ISPs reporting that
the server seems to be misbehaving.

Strange.

--
Mike.

Old 31-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Tumbleweed

"Broadback" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

The busiest newsgroup I use probably gets 500-800 messages a day max.
Dunno if thats a lot or not?

I used to subscribe to a newsgroup on a Trappist monastic order but it
never got any posts.

I said earlier in this thread that I have never had a problem with the
"kraut" one, as it was so elegantly put, however how would I know if I did
not get all the messages? ;-)

...because there would be references to messages that you havent seen, (in
messages you have), or because you get none at all, or you get an error
message, or you can see them in another media:-)

Old 31-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Tumbleweed

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Tumbleweed wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in

message
JennyC wrote:
[...]

Well, IMHO using AOL is much more likely to be the problem! Google groups
isnt a good test at all because of its web interface, as you are bypassing a
lot of things that could be the problem,eg AOL connection to NIN, or OE
screwing up, or your PC having a problem seeing NIN even though NIN might be
up. With GG you are just looking at a web page. A much better test would be
setting up, say, Thunderbird and seeing if you can access NIN with that if
you are having a NIN problem with OE. But lets face it, chances are 100:1
its AOL. Unless you have access to a different ISP from home its v difficult
to distinguish between NIN being down or AOL having problems connecting but
I know where I'd put my money.

I *very* occasionally get an inability to post a message, however I have had
this with other newsproviders, and its *always* on a reply that I get this
error. There is something in the message headers that can cause this
problem, its innaccessible to be changed by OE ,so really its an OE problem.

Of course, NIN isnt perfect or infallible, I am sure there must be times
its servers are down, or some of them. Just hasnt happened to me.....
yet....... touch wood.....cross fingers.

pH testing sw United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 06:08 PM
water testing, and a chemistry lesson rnj Freshwater Aquaria Plants 41 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
soil testing R B North Carolina 3 17-03-2003 04:32 PM
water testing Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 22-02-2003 10:48 PM
Soil testing kits Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2003 12:18 AM