Old 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Phil L

Default rooting powder

Is this really neccesary?
I have a dozen pelargoniums from last year, the main stumps of them appear
dead but there are small shoots appearing here and there, I can't salvage
the whole plant as they are huge and most of them are manky, I've been told
to take fresh cuttings and I was going to do this but I've no rooting
powder, is there any point in trying it without?

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004

Old 06-04-2005, 08:12 PM
keith ;-\)

You should be o.k without for pelargoniams .Mine have all rooted & are
making good strong plants now.
--
Thanks Keith,England,UK.

Old 06-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Phil L

keith ;-) wrote:
:: You should be o.k without for pelargoniams .Mine have all rooted &
:: are making good strong plants now.

Cheers Keith, two more questions...

1. Will the cuttings be the same colour blooms as the parent plants?

2. How much do I need to go below the surface?...how big should the overall
cutting be for me to get a decent depth inside the soil?

TIA

Old 06-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Is this really neccesary?
I have a dozen pelargoniums from last year, the main stumps of them appear
dead but there are small shoots appearing here and there, I can't salvage
the whole plant as they are huge and most of them are manky, I've been told
to take fresh cuttings and I was going to do this but I've no rooting
powder, is there any point in trying it without?

Not only is it worth it, but I've seen/heard advice from many quarters
including GQT that pelargoniums root better without.
--
Kay

Old 06-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote ...
Is this really neccesary?
I have a dozen pelargoniums from last year, the main stumps of them appear
dead but there are small shoots appearing here and there, I can't salvage
the whole plant as they are huge and most of them are manky, I've been
told
to take fresh cuttings and I was going to do this but I've no rooting
powder, is there any point in trying it without?

It's not a good idea to use hormone rooting powder on Pels, it can cause
problems.

Use a free draining compost, take the cutting just below a node, clean off
any loose bits, the biggest leaves, and any flower buds and push into the
compost. Then water thoroughly and don't water again until you see the plant
beginning to droop (weeks) by which time it will be well rooted and you can
start normal watering.
They are easy if you don't overwater and rot them off.

--
Regards
Bob