Old 08-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Cool gardenbanter vs others???

OK, so I posted earlier, via Gardenbanter, but then saw some other posts saying that the postings were actually coming in from elsewhere.

Where is this elsewhere??? I'd much rather be where the better action is coming from!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Bob Hobden

"janemace" wrote

OK, so I posted earlier, via Gardenbanter, but then saw some other posts
saying that the postings were actually coming in from elsewhere.

Where is this elsewhere??? I'd much rather be where the better action
is coming from!!

Most people post direct using their e-mail client i.e Outlook Express.
If you use OE go to tools and click on Newsgroups.
this will then download all the Ngs available on your ISP, probably 50,000+.
Search for uk.rec.gardening and then subscribe. Do likewise with any other
Ng's you might like but ensure you only read them for a couple of weeks to
get the feel of the group.

Then, to avoid getting too much spam go to Tools and then Accounts and on
the News tab highlight the server you are to use and click properties, in
the e-mail address put and a proper e-mail address in the
reply address.

Now when you want to read/post on urg just click on "Inbox" at top left and
then click on urg.
You will see that when on newsgroups the headings at the top change to "New
post", "Reply to group", and "Reply" which means you make a direct reply to
the original poster which is seldom used.

If I've misunderstood your comment/question please forgive me.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 09-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
That brings us to the usenet archive at www.groups/google, which

is
free and open to everyone. Try out the search facility there, and

you'll
realise what a feeble farce passes for so-called "archives" at
gardenbanter. In the same place, you'll find a great deal of "help"

info
about usenet groups and posting.

You can also use GG to post messages: it's much better than it used to
be for that, and you may like to try it out. (I'm using it just now,
but will move to another when I have the energy.) BUT, and a big "but",
if you want to reply through GG, don't click Reply. Instead, click
Show options and then use the Reply on the left under the header.

Why? Because their direct Reply doesn't work properly: it doesn't
give tell your readers which message you're responding to. The Show
options route gives you a reply form including that message, which you
can snip to the most relevant bit. I did that just now, using "[...]"
to indicate that I wasn't quoting Janet's whole posting.

Let us know if you have any problems. You'll get a friendly answer,
even if you think it may seem elementary: we've all been there.

--
Mike.