Old 18-04-2005, 03:52 PM
BAC

"Malcolm Kane" wrote in message
In message ,
writes

So you deny saying that deer cannot die of starvation?

Not at all. Any animal can die of starvation. Millions of small birds
die of starvation; that's not a reason for shooting them.

It would be if (a) you could eat them, and (b) the small birds were

altering
the habitat in way that most people didnt find acceptable for whatever
reason. That might be that we want more trees, or different plants than

the
deer leave, or because the deer are competing with other creatures, or

any
of 100 other reasons. No reason why we should simply allow the maximum

deer
population, or pit up with boom and bust deer populations, maybe we find

the
habitat more pleasant with less deer and more of other things (such as
different plants and animals). We get to choose as luckily for us we

evolved
to be smarter than deer.

I thought so. Saving deer from starvation has nothing to do with it.

Yes it has Angus. As you now accept deer can die of starvation it is
better that man acts a "top predator" and eats part of the population.
This to apply your typical anthropomorphic attitude is pleasanter and
preferable to a long slow starving to death.

Most natural (i.e. non-accidental or culling) deaths of adult deer are a
result of malnutrition, but not necessarily because of shortage of available
food due to a high population density.

See
http://www.deer-uk.com/red_deer.htm

from which

"Red deer can have a life span of over 20 years, however this is unusual and
they rarely live beyond 15 years. The highest period of mortality is in
their first year, with over 80% of these deaths occurring within the first
week of birth. Vulnerability during this period is dependant upon weather
and predation. Both foxes and golden eagles have been known to take newborn
calves. Late born calves are more likely to succumb. Hinds will normally
breed between the ages of three and 13 years of age, whilst stags will
normally mate between the ages of five and 11, although stags as young as
one year will attempt to mount if the opportunity arises. After getting
through the first year it is not until the age of eight that natural
mortality starts to increase. Generally death by old age is governed by the
deer's ability to consume food which is determined by tooth wear."

Old 18-04-2005, 07:54 PM
BAC

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news

In article , BAC
writes

"Malcolm Kane" wrote in message
In message ,
writes

I don't have to. You are the one making claims.

No Malcolm, you're the one that mentioned locusts in another thread,
so tell me why you think they don't stabilise in accordance with their
habitat.

Because no population does.

So, what are your views on density compensation, then?

I'm not sure I have "views" on it. It occurs in certain circumstances.

Sorry, I thought I was asking the other Malcolm.

I meant to say density dependence, anyway ! :-)

There's an interesting project underway
http://www.wildcru.org/research/pests/deer.htm
which should provide some answers re Roe deer density dependence, or
otherwise, and which I thought he might find interesting.

It also occurs to me this thread might equally well have been entitled 'who
is responsible for the size of our cormorant population' in which case
www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/
vertebrates/reports/cormorant-removal.pdf
which addresses the postulated effects of various quantities of culling on a
'known' density dependent population might also be informative. Although I
am also mindful of http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/cslmodels_tcm5-68713.pdf

Angus, at least, should agree with the RSPB over this, and disapprove of
killing cormorants.

Old 18-04-2005, 10:53 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:54:22 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news

In article , BAC
writes

"Malcolm Kane" wrote in message
In message ,
writes

I don't have to. You are the one making claims.

No Malcolm, you're the one that mentioned locusts in another thread,
so tell me why you think they don't stabilise in accordance with their
habitat.

Because no population does.

So, what are your views on density compensation, then?

I'm not sure I have "views" on it. It occurs in certain circumstances.

Sorry, I thought I was asking the other Malcolm.

I meant to say density dependence, anyway ! :-)

There's an interesting project underway
http://www.wildcru.org/research/pests/deer.htm
which should provide some answers re Roe deer density dependence, or
otherwise, and which I thought he might find interesting.

Yes, but I think the closed population environment and culling might
not give true results.

It also occurs to me this thread might equally well have been entitled 'who
is responsible for the size of our cormorant population' in which case
www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/
vertebrates/reports/cormorant-removal.pdf
which addresses the postulated effects of various quantities of culling on a
'known' density dependent population might also be informative. Although I
am also mindful of http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/cslmodels_tcm5-68713.pdf

Angus, at least, should agree with the RSPB over this, and disapprove of
killing cormorants.

Absolutely. I agree with anyone who disapproves of killing wildlife -
even those with double standards who release media statements that are
contradictory to their activities. Note who signed the letter from
the RSPB.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 18-04-2005, 11:21 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:34:35 +0100, Malcolm Kane
wrote:

In message ,
writes
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:26:59 +0100, Malcolm Kane
wrote:

In message ,
writes

Exactly like. The population is unstable and rising rapidly cull a
number and you stabilise it at the position you want.

Gosh! You agree that populations stabilise according to outside
forces.

Only in the case of culling. I was under the impression you were
talking about natural populations not controlled by man.

Nonsense. Culling is a form of changing the habitat. It means more
food and shelter for those left and will increase the fecundity of
them which will result in increased birth rates. Culling has been
going on for years but hasn't done much to reduce populations.

Tell that to the great auk and dodo.

Their habitat changed beyond their capacity to reproduce. I have
already said that possibility exists.

At least you accept that the situation is not natural.

Depends what you see as natural. In the case of the GA it was man's
hunting that wiped it out. I understand the fate of the Dodo is less
clear.

Yes man control populations to try to keep them stable but as you object
to this and appeared to be suggesting they did this under natural
conditions you appear to be moving the goal posts in your attempts to
justify the plainly wrong stance you try to hold.

Not at all. If left alone deer like all other species will stabilise
in accordance with their habitat.

Angus do bring your knowledge up to date you are at least 30 years
behind the present knowledge.

In what way am I out of date?

I am interested as to how you come to that conclusion.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 18-04-2005, 11:24 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 07:31:32 +0100, Malcolm Kane
wrote:

In message ,
writes
On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:11:37 +0100, Malcolm Kane
wrote:

In message ,
writes

I HAVE seen your replies in the thread they do not say what birds of
prey have been introduced.

What species were YOU referring to?

According to the chevrons you seem to be answering your own post. Is
this the equivalent to the mad talking to themselves?

Why do you not provide an answer surely not because it would expose yet
again a gaping hole in your knowledge?

I didn't say I knew what birds had been introduced. I asked Dr Thick
a question which he declined to answer.

Angus as you well know. (If your grasp of the English language is so
poor my apologies) the use of words in that post made it clear you
thought they had. Malcolm is merely playing you at your own game and
replying to you as you reply when asked a question.

Malcolm is supposed to be an "expert". That's why I asked him.
No game involved.

I on the other hand ask a simple straight forward question about your
statement. You seem unable to answer it.

I did. See above.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

Old 19-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Scott

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 22:53:33 +0100, wrote:

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:54:22 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news

In article , BAC
writes

[...]

The following quote is laughable when given the RSPBs coyness about
its own slaughter of wildlife and damage to habitat through the use of
chemicals. Google is full of their unwillingness to divulge
information to the public.

"We are grateful for the opportunity to see those revised analyses. In
light of the fact
that the previous paper was so fundamentally flawed, we are surprised
that the
revised analyses are not available for wider public and scientific
scrutiny. We urge
Defra to publish the revised documents on their website."

Perhaps we should write to the RSPB and state the same quote? lol

Old 25-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Alan

I have often thought there seemed to be a lack of compassion for
animal welfare on BBC and it seems Im not alone

Found this on the animal aid site

Home News News bulletin: April 2005
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/news/2005/0504lett.htm
BBC complaint
Animal Aid has made a formal complaint to the BBC about their coverage
of the recent announcement of an inquiry into the use of monkeys in
medical research...

Michael Grade
BBC Chairman
Broadcasting House
London W1A 1AA

April 15, 2005

Dear Mr Grade

I write to complain about a news item that went out on BBC 1
television on Wednesday March 23. My concerns go beyond the handling
of this particular piece, which is why I'd appreciate your
consideration of the issue - not least the paragraphs in italics at
the end of my letter. I have sent a copy to Fraser Steel.

For background information on primate experiments, read The
Scientific Case Against Primate Research.

The piece related to the announcement by a prominent group of
pro-animal experimentation research and scientific bodies that they
intended to launch a major study of the use of non-human primates in
medical research. The bodies included the Academy of Medical Sciences,
The Medical Research Council, the Wellcome Trust and the Royal
Society.

Representatives of those bodies featured in the broadcast item,
together with a Parkinson's disease sufferer who was offered as an
example of how monkey experiments allegedly bring direct and
spectacular benefits to patients. There was also a soundbite from our
own scientific consultant, Andre Menache.

Altogether, we found the item to be conspicuously biased in favour of
those promoting the use of monkeys in medical research. This was
particularly disappointing considering the BBC's recent self-confessed
failure to achieve balance in this area - and because of the detailed
discussions on the importance of balance that we had with your
correspondent in advance of broadcast.

Animal Aid's own position is that medical research using primates is
both morally unsupportable and scientifically invalid. At a public
inquiry in 2002 into Cambridge University's plans to build a new
primate research centre, presided over by an independent Government
inspector, evidence was submitted both for and against the use of
primates in research. Animal Aid played a key role in coordinating
scientific evidence against such research. The inspector concluded
that the University had not substantiated its claim that the
experiments would benefit human health or that they were of 'national
importance', and recommended that planning permission be turned down.

See also our 2003 report, Monkeying Around with Human Health.

One of our central concerns about the study into primate research that
you reported on in the March 23 broadcast was that - because of the
declared commitment to primate research by the bodies involved - the
resulting inquiry is unlikely to be an open assessment of the issue.
Rather, we fear that it would amount to a propaganda exercise designed
to assuage growing public concern over whether the use of primates is
justified morally and scientifically.

Returning to your own coverage, medical correspondent Fergus Walsh
visited the Animal Aid office and interviewed our scientific
consultant, Andre Menache. Fergus and I talked at some length about
how the piece was to be presented. He was aware that, in April 2004, I
received an apology from the Today programme after the BBC governors
criticised them over the way they edited an interview with me for a
January 2004 item about Cambridge University's decision not to pursue
their plans to build the primate research centre referred to above.

Fergus said he was committed to producing a balanced piece and he
seemed genuine in that desire. However, I was concerned that, while he
intended giving prominence to 'soft' footage he had been invited to
shoot at an unnamed primate research centre, he was reluctant to
consider balancing this by including graphic undercover footage of
monkey experiments shot by the British Union for the Abolition of
Vivisection at Cambridge University.

He argued that using the BUAV footage was a problem because the BBC
had 'not been there to verify it'. I pointed out that it had
previously been used by Newsnight and that there had been no
suggestion by any party that the footage was faked. Equally, he
acknowledged that at the research centre he had visited he had not
been permitted to see or film any damaged monkeys. This is despite the
fact that brain research on primates is inevitably highly invasive,
involving, typically, penetrating the skull and causing deliberate
damage to the brain with surgery and/or with corrosive chemicals.

Photo credit: ISAV

For full details of the Cambridge inquiry, read The History of the
Campaign.

The broadcast piece did indeed give prominence to his soft lab
footage, while omitting the BUAV film. Furthermore, while different
proponents of monkey research were given an opportunity to make their
case, Andre Menache was allowed just a couple or so sentences.

Among the most distorting elements was the interview run at the end of
the 6pm piece with a man suffering from Parkinson's disease. He was
introduced as an example of the benefits monkey experiments can bring
- his violent shaking eliminated by the switch of a device whose
discovery, it was claimed, resulted directly from monkey research.
This testimony - and the credence afforded it by the authorial voice -
is very likely to have been decisive in persuading the uninitiated
viewer that monkey experiments do indeed benefit human medicine.

In fact, as we pointed out at the aforementioned Cambridge Primate
centre public inquiry, deep brain stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson's
sufferers was discovered some 40 years ago through serendipity by the
French surgeon, Dr A Benabid. Monkey experiments followed but it is
the habit of the animal research community to try to attempt to
'confirm' in 'animal models' what has already been discovered in
people. If the 'discovery' had first been made in monkeys, the only
way of knowing if DBS would work in people - whose brains are markedly
different - would have been to attempt it in people. In short, if we
are to advance human medicine we must study (non-invasively and with
informed consent) human beings and not other species.

Even if Fergus Walsh and his news team were/are unconvinced by the
proposition set out above, they were still in error when they
presented DBS as an outcome of monkey experiments. Furthermore, five
minutes on the web would have told them that (see enclosed items).

Photo credit: ISAV

See also our 2004 Mad Science Awards which went to primate
vivisectors at Oxbridge.

There is, it seems to me, a distressing reluctance at the BBC to
challenge the 'official version' when it comes to medical research and
animal experiments. Powerful voices within government, academic
circles and pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, are wedded to
animal experiments and the BBC is too timid to challenge them by
giving proper voice to a dissenting view. What is more, there is a
tendency to explain away this timidity and lack of journalistic
scrupulousness as 'responsible and balanced' reporting.

By contrast, I would refer you to the coverage of the issue given by
the 7pm Channel 4 News on the same evening. They ran both soft monkey
footage and the BUAV undercover material (an expert in the studio said
that both sequences were representative of what takes place in a
monkey lab) and they pitted our scientific consultant against a
leading animal research advocate in a debate. The piece tilted neither
one way nor the other, but it dared to offer contrasting views on a
matter of great public importance. For this is not only about the
suffering of animals. It is about whether animal research yields
benefits for human medicine or if it is a wasteful activity that also
harms people.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Tyler
Director, Animal Aid