Old 12-04-2005, 08:09 AM
Paul

Default Who is Responsible for the Size of Our Deer Population?

Why do the RSPB and other conservation hooligan charities such as the
Woodland Trust kill wildlife rather than manage it properly. We all
know killing large numbers of animals merely causes them to breed more
and quicker. The RSPB know this, yet still carry on doing it, could it
be their pro hunt connections getting in the way of genuine
conservation? does seem strange that all we hear is what they want to
kill and get rid of, ruddy ducks, ship rat, hedgehogs, foxes. Thought
they were supposed to look after wildlife and habitat?

Who is Responsible for the Size of Our Deer Population?

NJ's deer herds have been sculpted by both the NJ Fish and Game
Council and the NJ Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife for the sake of
recreational hunting. These organizations have deliberately "managed"
deer to create the largest population possible. The evidence for this
comes directly from Fish and Games' own reports:

"Deer were reestablished in New Jersey by sportsmen-conservationists
for the purpose of sport hunting. Since that "restocking period" the
responsible agency (now the Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife) has
been managing the deer resource for this purpose." An Assessment of
Deer Hunting in New Jersey (pg.7)

"Habitat development and maintenance to benefit deer are conducted on
73 state owned Fish and Wildlife management areas totaling over
192,000 acres. Habitat management is encouraged on other public and
private lands. Limited burning, wood harvest and planting of various
agricultural crops favored by deer can increase the carrying capacity
by increasing the quality and quantity of food available." An
Assessment of Deer Hunting in New Jersey (pg.10)

"From the mid-1970's through the 1980's, the Division and the Fish and
Game Council sought to allow deer numbers to increase within sections
of the inner coastal plain including Salem, western Cumberland,
Gloucester, northwestern Burlington and western Monmouth counties. By
1990, with the exceptions of Island Beach State Park, a small portion
of Cape May County located below the Cape May canal and a few other
isolated areas, deer occupied all available range." Governor's Report
On Deer Management In New Jersey (pg.5)

When a large number of deer are removed from a herd through hunting,
competition for food, water, space and breeding opportunities is
reduced. The herd reacts to the sudden kill with increased breeding,
and, with plenty of food to go around, more females become pregnant
and twin and triplet births often occur.

In their 1990 report, An Assessment of Deer Hunting in New Jersey,
Fish and Game offered a detailed example of this process:

"One of the most dramatic examples of the effect of habitat
improvement or food availability on reproductive capacity occurred in
the Earle Naval Ammunition Depot in Monmouth County. Range conditions
improved in this case by an annual removal of deer by hunting.

Between 1968 and 1973 the reproductive rate almost doubled, an
indication that the herd was in much healthier condition. The
estimated fawn crop in 1969 was 116 fawns produced by 122 females, a
reproductive rate of 0.95 fawns per doe, compared to 1974 when 78 does
produced 133 fawns, or 1.70 fawns per doe (Burke et al. 1975)

New York reports similar improvement. In the western area of the state
a 1.60 embryo/doe ratio existed in 1939-43. Following antlerless
seasons, the reproductive rate increased to 1.90 embryos per doe in
1947-49. In areas where no antlerless seasons were held and the
population density remained unchanged, fertility declined." (pg.15)

Fish and Game's report shows that even during hunting seasons in which
killing female deer was the objective (anterless seasons), the
remaining females had increased birthrates that not only replaced the
ones killed, but increased the overall size of the herd.

In this century, Fish and Game has allowed the killing of more than
1,300,000 deer, 600,000 in the last decade alone, yet the population
is larger than ever. If this is the end result of 100 years of deer
management through killing, then killing is not effective in reducing
deer populations.

http://www.hnva.net/Deerfactsheet.html
Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 AM
Tumbleweed

"Paul" wrote in message
Why do the RSPB and other conservation hooligan charities such as the
Woodland Trust kill wildlife rather than manage it properly. We all
know killing large numbers of animals merely causes them to breed more
and quicker.

Thats must be why there are lots of whales then?

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 12-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Pheasant Plucker

Deer.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 AM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:47:22 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
Why do the RSPB and other conservation hooligan charities such as the
Woodland Trust kill wildlife rather than manage it properly. We all
know killing large numbers of animals merely causes them to breed more
and quicker.

Thats must be why there are lots of whales then?

No, It is always possible to slaughter a species almost to extinction.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk
Old 12-04-2005, 11:26 AM
BAC

"Pheasant Plucker" wrote in message
Deer.

LOL, very true - but given a nudge in the 'right' direction, perhaps, by
anthropogenic alterations to their environment, e.g. removal of large
predators, planting of suitable fodder and shelter, reduction in competition
from domestic grazing stock, removal of deer fences, climate change leading
to less severe winter conditions, etc.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| LOL, very true - but given a nudge in the 'right' direction, perhaps, by
| anthropogenic alterations to their environment, e.g. removal of large
| predators, planting of suitable fodder and shelter, reduction in competition
| from domestic grazing stock, removal of deer fences, climate change leading
| to less severe winter conditions, etc.

What we need is some more predators, large and medium sized,
in both rural and suburban areas. If they could be encouraged
to hunt trolls as well, that would be marvellous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Des Higgins

"Pheasant Plucker" wrote in message
Deer.

DOH!!
A deer?
A female deer!

Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 PM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| LOL, very true - but given a nudge in the 'right' direction, perhaps,

by
| anthropogenic alterations to their environment, e.g. removal of large
| predators, planting of suitable fodder and shelter, reduction in

competition
| from domestic grazing stock, removal of deer fences, climate change

leading
| to less severe winter conditions, etc.

What we need is some more predators, large and medium sized,
in both rural and suburban areas. If they could be encouraged
to hunt trolls as well, that would be marvellous.

Trouble is, when predators are introduced in the hope they will deal with a
problem population, you're never certain what they'll actually choose to
eat.

Interestingly, the population of Roe Deer is said to have plummeted when it
lost Royal protection status back in the middle ages, from which I'd guess
it used to be effectively kept in check by hungry commoners. So I'd have to
add changes in dietary preferences (or a reduction in persecution, depending
on your POV)to my list of possible human contributory 'causes'.

Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 PM
oddson2003

Like to see hunting encouraged in selected areas as a means for
harvesting deer, they should not be seen as aproblem, but as an
opportunity to encourage rural employment and financial substainability
of the countryside.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| Trouble is, when predators are introduced in the hope they will deal with a
| problem population, you're never certain what they'll actually choose to
| eat.

In the case of the most relevant ones, lynx and wolves, we have a
pretty good idea. The former are unlikely to harm anything that
is endangered - and probably wouldn't even kill many cats, which
many people would regret.

| Interestingly, the population of Roe Deer is said to have plummeted when it
| lost Royal protection status back in the middle ages, from which I'd guess
| it used to be effectively kept in check by hungry commoners. So I'd have to
| add changes in dietary preferences (or a reduction in persecution, depending
| on your POV)to my list of possible human contributory 'causes'.

And it exploded when people no longer walked through fields with
guns and dogs, and dogs were not allowed to roam at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Pheasant Plucker

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BAC" writes:

Trouble is, when predators are introduced in the hope they will
deal with a problem population, you're never certain what they'll
actually choose to eat.

In the case of the most relevant ones, lynx and wolves, we have a
pretty good idea. The former are unlikely to harm anything that
is endangered - and probably wouldn't even kill many cats, which
many people would regret.

I have a cat.
I hate cat-haters.
You know one of the FBI markers for serial killers is cat-killing and animal
torturing - the preserve of psychopaths.
If I ever caught someone harming a cat, I'd make sure they never walked,
copulated or saw again.

Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:39:34 GMT, "Pheasant Plucker"
wrote:

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"BAC" writes:

Trouble is, when predators are introduced in the hope they will
deal with a problem population, you're never certain what they'll
actually choose to eat.

In the case of the most relevant ones, lynx and wolves, we have a
pretty good idea. The former are unlikely to harm anything that
is endangered - and probably wouldn't even kill many cats, which
many people would regret.

I have a cat.
I hate cat-haters.
You know one of the FBI markers for serial killers is cat-killing and animal
torturing - the preserve of psychopaths.
If I ever caught someone harming a cat, I'd make sure they never walked,
copulated or saw again.

Quite right!

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk