Old 18-04-2005, 11:32 AM
vsop

Default Compost for Toms

I always grow my tomatoes in pots on the greenhouse floor using proprietary
peat based composts. Some years results are good.......some years not so
good, but on reflection, I think the poor years have usually been my fault
rather than the materials used. Blossom-end rot is the worst, then split
fruit etc. all attributed to erratic watering even though ....being
retired.....I diligently water every day and feed every week.
So I was very interested to read Alan and Joan Goulds post last January
describing their methods of growing Toms in homemade compost and not forcing
for maximum yield (as I have always been guilty of) and using Nettle
Manure.
My neighbour has offered me any amount of old, rich, dark, crumbly
compost..(looks good enough to eat).....but it is entirely made of grass
clippings. She has an acre size plot, cut every week.
My question is....would this one ingredient compost be a suitable medium in
which to grow Tomatoes in pots or would I need to add anything or modify it
in some way ?
I,ve never grown organically before.

Stan.

toms p.mc United Kingdom 4 11-08-2004 04:41 AM
Toms indoors? mike. buckley United Kingdom 12 22-07-2004 01:06 AM
Tumbler Toms The Grate Denini United Kingdom 8 27-05-2004 05:45 PM
A helping hand for stunted toms Julie United Kingdom 1 27-05-2004 07:03 AM
Toms & Straws in baskets Graham Dixon United Kingdom 14 27-10-2003 11:22 AM