Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Roger

Default Cutting shhots from trunks.

I have always considered that trees should be pruned before they start
to blossom. I also cut back any shoots coming out of the trunk or up
from the roots during winter.

Now we are in spring and the trees are starting to blossom. Many of my
trees allready have ambitious shoots coming out of the trunk/roots.
Should I cut these back as they appear or wait till the end of the
growing season?

In particular I have a decorative cherry tree that has been spliced
about 2M from the groung. The branches breaking out from the splice have
a pink blossom, but from the splice down I have the white blossom of the
'host tree'sprouting out of the trunk. Is this normal?