Old 31-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Betula to demand?

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:43:31 +0000, Inge Jones wrote:

I'd much prefer an upright single stem, as my plan to uplight it was
intended to catch some of the white trunk as well as the leaves. Also

Inge,

What about one of those columnar everygreen trees - the name of which
escapes me - cyprus? I know Alan T has mentioned them on TV before now -
either on GF or GW. I believe that these just grow in a very narrow single
stem upright fashion. Perhaps not so good fr your lighting idea though....

Sarah
Old 01-02-2003, 12:33 AM
Aiden

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 22:43:56 -0000, Inge Jones
wrote:

snip
At the moment I'm
still seriously considering a eucalyptus, as the RHA guide seems to
think a niphophila won't go past 20ft.

FWIW, we planted a 2' eucalyptus last ?April? - now 8' - hope to train
it to be a 6' - 10' - have been told to be cruel to be kind to stop it
getting out of control - fantastic colour and evergreen! Good choice.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Inge Jones wrote:
In article ,
says...

I haven't looked up final height details etc. but would hornbeam do it?

When I looked up hornbeam, although the height looked about right, it
said it gives heavy shade. One of my requirements is a light or sparse
canopy.

I still think that you would be better off with a hazel or willow.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679