Old 23-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Tom Atkinson

Default clianthus in bloom in N.Ireland

I was wondering if any member of the group grows clianthus. i find it to be
very spectacular and has flowered this winter/spring since last Novr.
I have posted 2 photos on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Tom Atkinson

Old 23-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Harold Walker

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
I was wondering if any member of the group grows clianthus. i find it to be
very spectacular and has flowered this winter/spring since last Novr.
I have posted 2 photos on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Tom Atkins

How is your locale these days...I was stationed at Eglington in 1950 for
three months...the wettest three months of my life.......HW

Old 23-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Rod

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 15:38:49 +0100, Dave Poole
wrote:

Its a fabulous wall or carpeting shrub Tom. I grew it here for a
while, but the only suitable spot available was in a large tub on a
flat roof area. When grown in this fashion, it tends to be somewhat
short -lived and mine finally ran out of steam a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately it is a bit tender and in many parts of the country, is
best treated as a cold greenhouse plant. Those clusters of rich red
or purest white, lobster-claw like flowers are well worth the effort
and as you say, flowering can start in early winter and slowly build
up to a climax in spring.

I saw a young one in flower in a very sheltered corner near the
greenhouses at Arley Hall in Cheshire last spring.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 23-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Tom Atkinson

Harold
Our weather has improved with global warming. Winter's are mild and that's
probably why my Clianthus has done so well. I have raised some from seed and
given to friends and they have also flowered for them. By the way the only
time I got sun stroke was in Co Donegal !!!!
Tom Atkinson

Old 25-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Atkinson
I was wondering if any member of the group grows clianthus. i find it to be
very spectacular and has flowered this winter/spring since last Novr.
I have posted 2 photos on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Tom Atkinson
I saw a fantastic clianthus growing on a south facing wall at Stone House Cottage Nurseries near Kidderminster, Worcs on Saturday 23.4.05. It must have been 12 ft tall.
Old 26-04-2005, 03:54 AM
goldfinch

"Tom Atkinson" wrote in message
I was wondering if any member of the group grows clianthus. i find it to

be
very spectacular and has flowered this winter/spring since last Novr.
I have posted 2 photos on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Tom Atkinson

Yes, in East Sussex, about 10 miles from the coast. It is planted against a
south wall and is now flowering after it's first winter outside. The flowers
are salmon pink, very pretty ;-)

I bought it from a garden open for NGS locally and it just so happens that
they were open again yesterday, where the "mother" of my plant was flowering
it's socks off and has been since Christmas, according to the gardener.

We get some pretty hard frosts here, so it must be tougher than many people
think.

Marina
E. Sx

Clianthus Tom Atkinson United Kingdom 0 17-11-2004 04:36 PM
Ireland permaculture / smallholding seek contacts Clive Corner Gardening 0 27-09-2003 12:32 PM
Bells Of Ireland Jayne United Kingdom 0 05-04-2003 06:32 PM
Historic Homes and Gardens of Ireland Tour 2003 Kerry Ninneman Gardening 0 30-03-2003 09:20 PM
Holidaying in Ireland info please sacha United Kingdom 0 08-02-2003 05:49 PM