Old 24-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Garry Nixon

Default Hawthorn Trees - How Quickly Will They Grow?

I've just planted out 17 hawthorns, grown from seed last year. They average
about 9" now. I wondered how much growth I can expect from them over the
next year or two. Just curious.

They will get half a day's sunlight and are in rather poor (clay) soil. In
NE England. They're about 2' apart.

The idea is, to eventually grow something approximating to a traditional
hedgerow.

Thanks!

Garry

--
blog: http://pigstyave.blogspot.com/

remove upper case to email me

Old 24-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Mike

Faster and stronger than you think. I would suggest that you trim them to
about 18 inches the first year to encourage thicker growth lower down, the
trim "about" 12 inches higher each year. Watch the thickness. Keep them to
"about" 12 inches thick first year and the no more than 24 inches over the
next 4 - 5 years. Determine how high you want them overall and keep them
trimmed twice a year.

I had a field a few years ago and they were a problem to keep trimmed by
hand. I now have them down one side of the garden and have a man to 'do
them' for me.

Mike

Old 24-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Garry Nixon

"Mike" wrote in message
Faster and stronger than you think. I would suggest that you trim them to
about 18 inches the first year to encourage thicker growth lower down, the
trim "about" 12 inches higher each year. Watch the thickness. Keep them to
"about" 12 inches thick first year and the no more than 24 inches over the
next 4 - 5 years. Determine how high you want them overall and keep them
trimmed twice a year.

I had a field a few years ago and they were a problem to keep trimmed by
hand. I now have them down one side of the garden and have a man to 'do
them' for me.

Mike

Excellent! Quicker the better. How long to about 7' then?

Garry

Old 24-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Mike

H.M.S.Collingwood Ass.
Excellent! Quicker the better. How long to about 7' then?

Garry

I would say 7 years, but watch the thickness. Trim top and sides on a
regular basis and it will be nice and 'not see through' :-))

Mike