Old 25-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france
Default plant labels and seed storage

Hi, I'm looking for an online source of plant/seedling labels (orange sticks perhaps) and small brown envelopes to store seeds in. (I'm in rural France so no chance of nipping down to the local garden center) I've been cutting up plastic tubs for the labels but running out of material and ideas. Have tried googling but not come up with anything. Any help most welcome.

jay jay
Old 25-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Bob Hobden

"jay jay" wrote ...

Hi, I'm looking for an online source of plant/seedling labels (orange
sticks perhaps) and small brown envelopes to store seeds in. (I'm in
rural France so no chance of nipping down to the local garden center)
I've been cutting up plastic tubs for the labels but running out of
material and ideas. Have tried googling but not come up with anything.
Any help most welcome.

I use plain manilla "Wage Packets" as seed envelopes .....

Depends how many you want...
http://www.euroffice.co.uk/itm_show....al-108x102mmOr the ones I use were from our local Staples store (now gone!)http://www.staples.co.uk/ENG/Catalog...--RegardsBobIn Runnymede, 17 miles West of London

Old 25-04-2005, 02:42 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

jay jay wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for an online source of plant/seedling labels (orange
sticks perhaps) and small brown envelopes to store seeds in. (I'm in
rural France so no chance of nipping down to the local garden center)
I've been cutting up plastic tubs for the labels but running out of
material and ideas. Have tried googling but not come up with
anything. Any help most welcome.

jay jay

Be imaginative. My grandfather, an inveterate recycler, uses many things for
plant labels - tin lids (the kind with the ring-pull, as if there was any
other kind these days), wooden forks from the local chippie (though he
doesn't eat much fish and chips these days) cut up yoghurt pots, margarine
tubs, plastic lids from Pringles tubes...basically, if it's made from
plastic or metal and is the right shape, or can be cut to shape, it's used.
The only white plastic plant labels he's ever had have been provided with
plants. You have a computer. What about breaking up dead floppies? There
are many things you could use, you don't need to purchase ready-made labels.
Be inventive. Of course, I'm assuming you eat things in tins. I wouldn't cut
up old beer or soda cans because of the sharp edges. He even uses old CDs
(no, he doesn't have a computer, but AOHELL have been most generous... ;o))

You want envelopes? Well you receive mail, I presume...? Don't buy, recycle.

Remember the old adage: "Necessity is the mother of invention".

I keep telling him he should produce a book - he even uses old pop bottles
(the 2 litre kind) as bird feeders with adapters he purchases from the local
garden centre for £1 a pair.