Old 25-04-2005, 07:28 AM
ken cohen

Default Dark north facing garden wall

Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.

Ken Cohen
Old 25-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Charlie Pridham

"ken cohen" wrote in message
om...
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.

Ken Cohen

Parthenocissus henryana, or Hedera helix 'Golden Esther' Lonicera
periclymenum, most clematis and some rambling roses.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ken cohen wrote:
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.

Non-variegated ivy, or nothing. Sorry.

If it is genuinely north facing, it will get NO direct sunlight,
and adding shade to that is bad news indeed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2005, 09:19 AM
p.k.

ken cohen wrote:
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.

Ken Cohen

try Hydrangea anomola subsp petiolaris with lots of organinc material to
lighten the soil.

pk

Old 25-04-2005, 11:11 AM
spakker

"ken cohen" wrote in message
om...
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so

I've just planted some gunnera and fatsia japonica in a similar though
sheltered place-I dont think the big leaves like direct sun. A few other
plants may well survive but getting them established will be the hard part.

Old 25-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Duncan Heenan

"spakker" wrote in message

"ken cohen" wrote in message
om...
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so

I've just planted some gunnera and fatsia japonica in a similar though
sheltered place-I dont think the big leaves like direct sun. A few other
plants may well survive but getting them established will be the hard
part.

I've managed to grow a pyrocantha on one such place. It's slow but gets
there.

Old 25-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken cohen
Any suggestions

Ken Cohen
Cotoneaster horizontalis ... leaves appear early in the season , flowers early summer , brilliant autumn leaf colour , berries thru winter , self supporting , very hardy ... what more could one want ?

about 5 of them would cover the distance probably reduced to 3 over time .
Old 25-04-2005, 02:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Duncan Heenan" writes:
| "spakker" wrote in message
| "ken cohen" wrote in message
| om...
|
| Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
| stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
| get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
| presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.
|
| I've just planted some gunnera and fatsia japonica in a similar though
| sheltered place-I dont think the big leaves like direct sun. A few other
| plants may well survive but getting them established will be the hard
| part.
|
| I've managed to grow a pyrocantha on one such place. It's slow but gets
| there.

I think that there are a lot of cross-purposes postings on this
thread. If the north wall really IS "very shaded" by north wall
standards in London, I stand by my remark "non-variegated ivy, or
nothing" as far as climbers go (and there aren't many non-climbers
that are suitable). However, if it is less shaded, I agree that
there are a lot more options.

No north wall in the UK gets ANY sunlight, so that doesn't clarify
anything, but does hint that it might not be as dark as I was
assuming.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Philippe Gautier

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Duncan Heenan" writes:
| "spakker" wrote in message
| "ken cohen" wrote in message
| om...
|
| Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
| stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
| get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
| presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.
|
| I've just planted some gunnera and fatsia japonica in a similar though
| sheltered place-I dont think the big leaves like direct sun. A few other
| plants may well survive but getting them established will be the hard
| part.
|
| I've managed to grow a pyrocantha on one such place. It's slow but gets
| there.

I think that there are a lot of cross-purposes postings on this
thread. If the north wall really IS "very shaded" by north wall
standards in London, I stand by my remark "non-variegated ivy, or
nothing" as far as climbers go (and there aren't many non-climbers
that are suitable). However, if it is less shaded, I agree that
there are a lot more options.

No north wall in the UK gets ANY sunlight, so that doesn't clarify
anything, but does hint that it might not be as dark as I was
assuming.

well, in June, you could have quite a lot of sunlight in early morning
or late afternoon on a true North-facing wall??

I agree with Hydrangea petiolaris. I have grown it sucessfully on a wall
which truly never get any sun at all.

Philippe
Old 25-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Kay

In article , ken cohen
writes
Any suggestions for I might try to grow along a very shaded 15 foot
stretch of north- facing garden wall (about 6 foot high) which doesn't
get much direct sunlight? The soil seems very heavy and clumpy, so
presumably has a high clay content, as you'd expect in North London.

The 'Plants in shade' FAQ has lots of suggestions, and originated from
experience of growing in exactly this situation.
--
Kay

Old 25-04-2005, 09:03 PM
ken cohen

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. Are there any vegetables that
might flourish in these conditions?

Ken Cohen
Old 25-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ken cohen wrote:
Thanks everyone for these suggestions. Are there any vegetables that
might flourish in these conditions?

Mushrooms.

All 'normal' vegetables need light for photosynthesis - it is dark
enough in this country in open locations, and dark ones are quite
hopeless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.