Old 25-04-2005, 10:34 PM
anita kean

In article , ken cohen wrote:
Thanks everyone for these suggestions. Are there any vegetables that
might flourish in these conditions?

I'm writing from Auckland NZ, latitude 37 degrees S.
(I've learned a lot from this group - please excuse the posting.)

A couple of years ago I planted coriander (among other things) in a
little strip behind the house where I live.
The strip, about 1.5m wide, runs SE to NW, between the house
and a c. 2m wall. In summer it gets sun for about 2-3 hours when
overhead.
The crop wasn't great, as usual - going to seed right away.

All winter (minimum temp about 5 C, maximum about 15C) I got a
continuous crop of coriander (from the seeds) that was extremely
healthy. That area gets no sun in winter, and is very cool.

Anita

Old 28-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Kay

In article , Dave
writes
I'm rather proud of my three smallish skimmia which are evergreen and in
flower atm in just this sort of situation. I hope they grow big and the
flowers continue.

Have you got both genders? Skimmia berries are huge and last a very long
time.
--
Kay

Old 29-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Dave

In article , Dave
writes
I'm rather proud of my three smallish skimmia which are evergreen and in
flower atm in just this sort of situation. I hope they grow big and the
flowers continue.

Kay writes

Have you got both genders? Skimmia berries are huge and last a very long
time.

Ah now you are being technical, and as this is the first year of
flowering I can honestly say I don't know. I think the flowers are
identical on all plants, so the answer is probably no, so I am assuming
the next reply is also no chance of berries?
--
David

Old 29-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Kay

In article , Dave
writes
In article , Dave
writes
I'm rather proud of my three smallish skimmia which are evergreen and in
flower atm in just this sort of situation. I hope they grow big and the
flowers continue.

Kay writes

Have you got both genders? Skimmia berries are huge and last a very long
time.

Ah now you are being technical, and as this is the first year of
flowering I can honestly say I don't know. I think the flowers are
identical on all plants, so the answer is probably no, so I am assuming
the next reply is also no chance of berries?

I think there is one, maybe more, varieties which are 'bisexual'.
Reevesiana?????

I have one which is male - flowers have 4 stamens - and another which is
female - you can see the obvious round female bit in the centre. And a
third which is tiny and hasn't flowered yet.

The male was here when we bought the house, living in half-barrel, so I
bought a female to go with it, and that has done wonderfully for
berries, being covered all the year round - atm, for example, it has
last season's berries and this season's flowers.
--
Kay

Old 02-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Dave

Kay writes

[...]

I'll go and look more carefully.....

Yes, mine seem to have four prongy bits on each flower now, with no
obviously central female bit, so it looks like no sex and no berries for
three male plants this year. Must look out a partner for them
then.......
--
David