Old 26-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Ken Maughan

Default Ground cover

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ( Not
seeds as there's quite a few cats around here and they LOVE my soil.). My
garden is north-facing, backs onto an old railway bank with dark blue-grey
clay soil (although I've added a few trailers of topsoil to help). The slope
if fairly steep approx a 1 in 3 incline and 20 ft by 11ft in size, and
there's a sycamore tree to one side shading half the garden.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation
Ken

Old 26-04-2005, 10:48 PM
Derek Turner

Ken Maughan wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ( Not
seeds as there's quite a few cats around here and they LOVE my soil.). My
garden is north-facing, backs onto an old railway bank with dark blue-grey
clay soil (although I've added a few trailers of topsoil to help). The slope
if fairly steep approx a 1 in 3 incline and 20 ft by 11ft in size, and
there's a sycamore tree to one side shading half the garden.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation
Ken

Vinca minor : the lesser periwinkle
Old 27-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/4/05 22:36, in article , "Ken

Maughan"
wrote:

Hi,
Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ( Not
seeds as there's quite a few cats around here and they LOVE my soil.).

My
garden is north-facing, backs onto an old railway bank with dark

blue-grey
clay soil (although I've added a few trailers of topsoil to help). The

slope
if fairly steep approx a 1 in 3 incline and 20 ft by 11ft in size, and
there's a sycamore tree to one side shading half the garden.
Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation

Vinca. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Symphytum grandiflorum, Geranium maccrorhizzum, Geranium 'Claridge Druce'
Lamium (cant remember the second name - we call it the Hobgoblin!) Viola

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Derek Turner somewhat@odds wrote:
Ken Maughan wrote:

Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ...

Vinca minor : the lesser periwinkle

Vinca major eats Vinca minor for breakfast :-) It's not too hard to
keep under control - while it layers in everywhere, it is very shallow
rooted and will not regrow from roots alone. I grow the variety
"oxyloba" (perhaps a geographical variant), which has star-shaped,
deep purple flowers, lighter, less glossy and more pointed leaves,
and is marginally less ambitious. Anyone who wants some is welcome
to drop round.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Spider

Charlie Pridham wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/4/05 22:36, in article , "Ken

Maughan"
wrote:

[...]

Charlie,
I imagine you mean Lamium galeobdolon, the Yellow Archangel. Love the
Hobgoblin tag, though!.
Spider

Old 27-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Sacha

On 27/4/05 11:53, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

snip
Charlie,
I imagine you mean Lamium galeobdolon, the Yellow Archangel. Love the
Hobgoblin tag, though!.
Spider

We have a variegated Lamium with bright pink flowers but have never known
the name of it as it was given to Ray. It's very dramatic and will take
deep shade and if anyone knows the name, we'd be very grateful!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-04-2005, 12:10 PM
pammyT

"Spider" wrote in message

Charlie Pridham wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/4/05 22:36, in article , "Ken

Maughan"
wrote:

[...]

WHen I saw the correct name I thought hobgoblin was really funny.
I think it *should* be known as lamium hobgoblin :0)

Old 27-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Derek Turner

Ken Maughan wrote:

Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ...

Vinca minor : the lesser periwinkle

Vinca major eats Vinca minor for breakfast :-) It's not too hard to
keep under control - while it layers in everywhere, it is very shallow
rooted and will not regrow from roots alone. I grow the variety
"oxyloba" (perhaps a geographical variant), which has star-shaped,
deep purple flowers, lighter, less glossy and more pointed leaves,
and is marginally less ambitious. Anyone who wants some is welcome
to drop round.

I grow both and agree that major is more vigorous, it's just that the OP
asked about ground cover and in my limited experience minor stays closer
to the ground while major is more of a 'shrub', given half a chance.
Old 27-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Derek Turner somewhat@odds writes:

| I grow both and agree that major is more vigorous, it's just that the OP
| asked about ground cover and in my limited experience minor stays closer
| to the ground while major is more of a 'shrub', given half a chance.

Oh, yes, but it assuredly covers the ground - in the other sense
as well :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-04-2005, 02:39 PM
BAC

Ken Maughan wrote:

Can anyone suggest a quick-growing, flowering, ground cover plant ...

Vinca minor : the lesser periwinkle

Vinca major eats Vinca minor for breakfast :-) It's not too hard to
keep under control - while it layers in everywhere, it is very shallow
rooted and will not regrow from roots alone. I grow the variety
"oxyloba" (perhaps a geographical variant), which has star-shaped,
deep purple flowers, lighter, less glossy and more pointed leaves,
and is marginally less ambitious. Anyone who wants some is welcome
to drop round.

I grow both and agree that major is more vigorous, it's just that the OP
asked about ground cover and in my limited experience minor stays closer
to the ground while major is more of a 'shrub', given half a chance.

Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in a
partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees which
are providing the shade.

Old 27-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
| called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
| experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in a
| partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees which
| are providing the shade.

Major will climb small shrubs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-04-2005, 03:41 PM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
| called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
| experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in

| partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees

which
| are providing the shade.

Major will climb small shrubs.

Looking out the window - so it will, but not, here at least, trees :-)

Old 27-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Sue Begg

In message , BAC
writes

"BAC" writes:

| Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
| called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
| experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in

| partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees

which
| are providing the shade.

Major will climb small shrubs.

Looking out the window - so it will, but not, here at least, trees :-)

The only problem that I have found with Vinca Minor is that it can be
very difficult to weed the buttercups and couch grass from amongst it. A
membrane stops it from running across the ground and rooting so it can
spread. I like it and have 4 different varieties - blue, purply/maroon,
white flowers and one with variegated leaves. I personally just put up
with most of the weeds and pull out the most obvious ones.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons - for
you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
Old 27-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Charlie Pridham

"BAC" writes:

| Minor does stay closer to the ground than major (guess that's why it's
| called minor!). Either of them does a good job of ground cover, in my
| experience, especially if you want something which will do the trick in

| partially or fully shaded location, but which won't climb the trees

which
| are providing the shade.

Major will climb small shrubs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My Vinca major 'Alba is 15' into a quince tree and I have to take the
strimmer to it when it blocks the gateway, its flowering at present (when
all is forgiven!)