Old 27-04-2005, 05:37 PM
nambucca

Default Fairy Rings ????? rain made them worse

I have what supposedly is a fairy ring which no matter what i do including
digging it out completely as per RHS and re turfing it reappears
..........however the recent rains have made it worse and now 2 more sections
6 ft and 12 ft away have appeared

We laid the lawn 32 years ago and its always scarified, and treated with
both spring and autumn feed

I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

Old 27-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Harold Walker

"nambucca" wrote in message
I have what supposedly is a fairy ring which no matter what i do including
digging it out completely as per RHS and re turfing it reappears
.........however the recent rains have made it worse and now 2 more
sections
6 ft and 12 ft away have appeared

We laid the lawn 32 years ago and its always scarified, and treated with
both spring and autumn feed

I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable
patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

Just for info on the subject and some possible help.....go to Yahoo and tyo
in

Treatment for fairey rings in lawns

There are a number of articles that might be of interest..HW

Old 27-04-2005, 11:11 PM
[H]omer

nambucca wrote:
I have what supposedly is a fairy ring which no matter what i do including
digging it out completely as per RHS and re turfing it reappears
.........however the recent rains have made it worse and now 2 more sections
6 ft and 12 ft away have appeared

We laid the lawn 32 years ago and its always scarified, and treated with
both spring and autumn feed

I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

First let me say that you probably already know most of what I'm going
to tell you, and you may think that if the lawn has done well for 32
years then your methods must be correct. However, soil conditions change
over time, and poor (or 'wrong') maintenance will eventually catch up
and manifest itself as 'puzzling' problems.

Having suffered from severe lawn problems myself last year, here's some
of the advice I've been given:

1) ... Most lawn problems come down to inadequate maintenance. Even if
you *think* you're doing a good job, it probably still isn't good enough.

2) ... One greenkeeper suggested to me that if the soil is in relatively
good condition, then I should not feed the lawn *at all* ... ever.
Overfeeding, or feeding when it isn't necessary simply causes the grass
to become 'feed dependant' - i.e. don't feed the grass, and it will
become a more resilient plant.

3) ... Ditto for watering. Most plants hate having their feet wet, so
unless you have world-class drainage and live in a very hot climate,
then you probably don't need to water your lawn much at all. Wait until
there are very obvious signs that the grass is struggling (turning
yellow) ... *then* water it. Slightly dehydrated is better than
waterlogged ... for most plants. You'll also encourage good root
development, as the grass digs deeper in search of water.

4) ... WRT thatch: the same greenkeeper asked me if I de-thatched my
lawn, and I said "yes". He then asked me to demonstrate, so I got out my
lawn rake and attacked the lawn with it - really putting 100% into it.
When I was finished, I'd collected one full bag (black rubbish bag size)
of moss and thatch (from about 50' x 30'). He looked at the lawn, looked
at me, then fired up this thing called a "ThatchAway" machine. When he'd
finished he'd collected another *3 full bags* of thatch and moss! Moral:
you can never de-thatch enough.

As for the fungal infection (Fairy Rings) - the spores are everywhere so
you probably won't be able to 'remove' the infection. The best you can
do is make your grass tougher than the fungus.

--
[H]omer

Problem with cats in your garden?
Try this: http://img169.exs.cx/img169/6382/kitten8va.jpg
Old 27-04-2005, 11:58 PM
davek

I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable
patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

Honey fungus isn't it? Very difficult to eradicate.
DaveK.

Old 28-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Magwitch

davek muttered:

I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable
patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

Honey fungus isn't it? Very difficult to eradicate.
DaveK.

I think if it were honey fungus, the mushrooms wouldn't be appearing until
September:

http://www.hdra.org.uk/factsheets/dc19.htm

More likely to be St. George's mushrooms (edible, but don't try until you've
got positive id!) at this time of year and not such bad news for the rest of
the garden, although your lawn is another matter.

Old 28-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Kay

In article , davek davek@brentmere53
..fsnet.co.uk writes
I am utterly desperate over the appearance of more bare questionable
patches
with recent rains .......have only had 3 small mushrooms appear at one end
though

Honey fungus isn't it? Very difficult to eradicate.

Why do you suggest it is honey fungus?

The OP is talking about fairy rings and bare patches on lawns - honey
fungus doesn't do fairy rings, and I didn't think it caused bare
patches?
--
Kay

Old 28-04-2005, 03:03 PM
davek

Why do you suggest it is honey fungus?

The OP is talking about fairy rings and bare patches on lawns - honey
fungus doesn't do fairy rings, and I didn't think it caused bare
patches?
--

Thought it was honey fungus but just checked and in fact there are many
fungi which cause fairy rings.

Old 28-04-2005, 07:28 PM
nambucca

"davek" wrote in message
Why do you suggest it is honey fungus?

The OP is talking about fairy rings and bare patches on lawns - honey
fungus doesn't do fairy rings, and I didn't think it caused bare
patches?
--

Thought it was honey fungus but just checked and in fact there are many
fungi which cause fairy rings.
DaveK.

I have already checked yahoo etc for info on fairy rings ........have
followed all the advice to no avail

If it was possible to replace that section of lawn with a flower bed i would
but its a huge area and it would look B ridiculous

Theres certainly no decaying wood under there to have triggered this so
nothing makes any sense other than i am helplessly watching my lawn being
ruined

Old 28-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Sacha

On 28/4/05 19:28, in article
, "nambucca"
wrote:

snip
Theres certainly no decaying wood under there to have triggered this so
nothing makes any sense other than i am helplessly watching my lawn being
ruined

Any other possibility? An old spring/wellhead which has been buried? Old
manhole cover buried by irresponsible builder? Old oil connection
thingy/sewage pipe ditto? Old farming practice of some sort? Etc. etc.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 29-04-2005, 09:29 PM
nambucca

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 28/4/05 19:28, in article
, "nambucca"
wrote:

snip
Theres certainly no decaying wood under there to have triggered this so
nothing makes any sense other than i am helplessly watching my lawn

being
ruined

Any other possibility? An old spring/wellhead which has been buried? Old
manhole cover buried by irresponsible builder? Old oil connection
thingy/sewage pipe ditto? Old farming practice of some sort? Etc. etc.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Anything is possible but it will be incredibly deep
If I dig it out there are the white threads so obviously a fungus is at work

Time for a JCB i reckon

fairy rings Carl 1 Lucky Texan Gardening 11 03-05-2006 05:30 PM
Fairy Rings Dave Lawns 5 17-07-2004 02:08 AM
Fairy Rings nambucca United Kingdom 12 15-06-2004 11:13 PM
Fairy Rings in Lawns Mervyn Thomas United Kingdom 4 06-05-2004 11:56 PM
Fairy Rings Pen Phill United Kingdom 41 16-10-2003 07:22 PM