Old 28-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Andy Pandy

Default Black pond water

Hi

I have had a small pre-formed pond for several years and have cleaned
and repotted the plants and lilies from time to time with no problems.

After repotting the plants last year in some particularly dark '
aquatic soil ' the pond has gradually accumulated more and more dark
sediment that regularly clags up the pump and filter. I was hoping it
would disperse but in fact it has got worse over time and although it
doesn't appear to harm the fish, I'm sure it inhibits lily growth.

I have now decided to try and get rid of all this black muck, cleaning
the pond, baskets, pump and filter box as best I can.

Bearing in mind this appears to be some kind of organic material that
grows, is there anything I can do to ensure I get rid of it completely
before refilling the pond and returning the fish. I would hate to be
back in the same position, within a few months.

Andy
Old 28-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Mike

We were and ditched the pond. I feel that the problem is all down to
sunlight and not sufficient shade.

Someone will now prove me wrong and say I shouldn't have ditched the pond
;-(((

Old 28-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Tumbleweed

"Andy Pandy" wrote in message
[...]

This is natural, over time ponds will naturally fill up with organic matter,
the remains of the dead plants and the waste products of fish etc. Ponds or
even lakes are really transient phenomena, left to themselves they will
eventually fill up and become land. And generally the smaller the pond, the
quicker it will fill up. To extend the time between clear outs, regularly
remove excess plant material, such as pond weed, dead lily leaves etc. And
in your case it seems, dont encourage plants to grow by putting them in rich
soil! You can also net it in autum to prevent fallen leaves getting in.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 28-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Andy Pandy

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:45:33 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

We were and ditched the pond. I feel that the problem is all down to
sunlight and not sufficient shade.

Someone will now prove me wrong and say I shouldn't have ditched the pond
;-(((

I think you have hit the nail on the head, it is certainly not
accumulated debris as I have regularly cleared the pond and this has
never happened before.

You *have* reminded me though, that our neighbours had several large
trees removed from their garden early last year and this has certainly
extended the amount of sunlight falling on the pond.

Quite where I go from here I'm not sure but I will move it before I
give it up altogether ! Thanks for the lead.

Andy

Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Pandy
[...]

Hi Andy, I put a product called Clarity, which you can buy on the internet, in my pond. It feeds on the sediment and kills blanket weed stone dead! you may still need to clean out the filters occasionally, but the water should get lovely and clear! to date we have 15 goldfish,5 newts and 11 frogs this year already......solaara