Old 29-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Trevor Appleton

Default Busy Lizzy plugs just stand still

I meant to post this when I received my 100 busy lizzy plugs three weeks
ago.

Last year I got them at the same time and planted them in 3 inch pots in
mult pupose with a little slow release (as I have done this year), and they
just sat there for weeks on end and never moved. It was well into summer
before some of them eventualy grew away healthily and spectaculalry whilst a
few just withereds up and died.

Looks like the same things happening this year. Where am I going wrong.

There in a bubble wrap insulated greenhouse which is frost free.

Have recently adjusted night temperature to nearer 5-7C to see if that
helps.

Old 29-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Emrys Davies

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
I meant to post this when I received my 100 busy lizzy plugs three

weeks
ago.

Last year I got them at the same time and planted them in 3 inch pots

in
mult pupose with a little slow release (as I have done this year), and

they
just sat there for weeks on end and never moved. It was well into

summer
before some of them eventualy grew away healthily and spectaculalry

whilst a
few just withereds up and died.

Looks like the same things happening this year. Where am I going

wrong.

There in a bubble wrap insulated greenhouse which is frost free.

Have recently adjusted night temperature to nearer 5-7C to see if that
helps.

Trevor,

It's all to do with temperature and light. Initially they are grown in
ideal conditions and then they find themselves being transported to your
greenhouse and during all of this temperatures fluctuate considerably
and the lighting and air circulation is far from ideal. Consequently
they have a shock to their system from which they find it hard to
recover.

A Max - Min thermometer will help you considerably. Try and maintain a
minimum temperature of 10ēC, but that may be costly.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 29-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Kay

In article , Trevor
Appleton writes
I meant to post this when I received my 100 busy lizzy plugs three weeks
ago.

Last year I got them at the same time and planted them in 3 inch pots in
mult pupose with a little slow release (as I have done this year), and they
just sat there for weeks on end and never moved. It was well into summer
before some of them eventualy grew away healthily and spectaculalry whilst a
few just withereds up and died.

Looks like the same things happening this year. Where am I going wrong.

Maybe nowhere. I'd expect them to apparently sit still for a while until
they establish a good root system.
--
Kay

Old 29-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Victoria Clare

Kay wrote in
:

In article ,
Trevor Appleton writes
I meant to post this when I received my 100 busy lizzy plugs three
weeks ago.

Last year I got them at the same time and planted them in 3 inch pots
in mult pupose with a little slow release (as I have done this year),
and they just sat there for weeks on end and never moved. It was well
into summer before some of them eventualy grew away healthily and
spectaculalry whilst a few just withereds up and died.

Looks like the same things happening this year. Where am I going
wrong.

Maybe nowhere. I'd expect them to apparently sit still for a while
until they establish a good root system.

Mine taken from cuttings late last year are growing away like good 'uns in
the greenhouse and I've just taken a set of cuttings from them that are
already rooting.

My guesses:
a) they were grown in perfect conditions where they came from, and your
greenhouse is colder and has given them a shock.

b) they are busy lizzies, aren't they - not something tenderer like new
guinea impatiens ?

c) Assuming they are busy lizzies, maybe you have a particular tender
cultivar? Try another supplier.

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 29-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Chris Hogg

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:07:43 +0100, "Emrys Davies"
wrote:

[...]

I agree with you Emrys. I received 120 plug gazanias in the post a few
weeks ago. The instructions said pot on immediately and keep in a
humid atmosphere at 15C. Fat chance, I thought, so I potted them up
into 2" pots and put them on the floor of the unheated G/H, as no
space on the staging.

They've been very slow to move :-(

--
Chris

Old 30-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Trevor Appleton

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.205...
Kay wrote in
:

In article ,
Trevor Appleton writes
[...]

Yes they're bog standard busy lizzies, from a different supplier to last
year. May the current warm spell will help, then I'll turn the night temp up
a shade.

bizzy lizzy NitroŽ United Kingdom 0 01-05-2007 06:58 PM
I just canna stand 'em! Darren Garrison Gardening 2 03-06-2005 04:05 PM
Jiffy Plugs Jockie1 United Kingdom 0 16-05-2003 12:44 PM
zoysia plugs [email protected] Gardening 1 20-04-2003 10:32 PM
Plugs Ted Richardson United Kingdom 3 24-03-2003 03:44 PM