Old 30-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Willobie

Default Ants - help?

Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden seems to
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

Old 30-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Tumbleweed

"Willobie" wrote in message
Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden seems
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

You need to keep it wet where their nests are. Otherwise poison is your only
hope.
Whats wrong with poison? You can buy little self-contained units that ensure
only ants are affected.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 30-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Malcolm

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:07:47 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
wrote:

"Willobie" wrote in message
Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden seems
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

You need to keep it wet where their nests are. Otherwise poison is your only
hope.

Prat,

Whats wrong with poison?

Only a prat would ask that, thanks for confirming my original guess.
Prat.

You can buy little self-contained units that ensure
only ants are affected.

Where from the local weirdos and S&M shoppe?

Prat.

Old 30-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Paul Taylor

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:09:31 +0100, Willobie wrote:

Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater?

Green woodpeckers seem to love them. I saw one happily filling itself up
for about 10 minutes at an ants nest. What you need is a flock of them to
discover your garden. ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

--
Remove _rem_ before replying by email.

Old 30-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Tumbleweed

"Paul Taylor" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:09:31 +0100, Willobie wrote:

Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater?

Green woodpeckers seem to love them. I saw one happily filling itself up
for about 10 minutes at an ants nest. What you need is a flock of them to
discover your garden. ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

I have a pair of those in my garden often, but still have loads of ants. Not
a problem as they are in the lawn and nowhere near the house.

Old 30-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Tumbleweed

wrote:

"Willobie" wrote in message
Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden
seems
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and
now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a
predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

You need to keep it wet where their nests are. Otherwise poison is your
only
hope.

Prat,

Whats wrong with poison?

Only a prat would ask that, thanks for confirming my original guess.
Prat.

You can buy little self-contained units that ensure
only ants are affected.

Where from the local weirdos and S&M shoppe?

Prat.

I bet you convert lots of people to your POV with your persuasive wit and
repartee :-)

I also bet that when you get ants in the house, you dont pick them up on a
piece of paper and take them out somewhere safe.

Old 30-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Paul Taylor wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:09:31 +0100, Willobie wrote:

Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater?

Green woodpeckers seem to love them. I saw one happily filling itself
up for about 10 minutes at an ants nest. What you need is a flock of
them to discover your garden. ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

Not just green woodpeckers - *all* woodpeckers - they are their staple diet.
We have all three native species here in Buckinghamshire and they gorge
themselves.

Old 30-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Michael

I have a pair of those in my garden often, but still have loads of ants.

Not
a problem as they are in the lawn and nowhere near the house.

--
Tumbleweed

My front lawn is approx 4 ft away from house and anthills have started
appearing all over the lawn. I have been prodding these anthills with a
stick and dousing with water. However when I get rid of one nest another
appears.

What is the best solution, stamp on the anthill mound, will the mound
increase/decrease in size if left alone ?

Mike.

Old 30-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Tumbleweed

"Michael " [email protected] wrote in message

I have a pair of those in my garden often, but still have loads of ants.

Not
a problem as they are in the lawn and nowhere near the house.

--
Tumbleweed

My front lawn is approx 4 ft away from house and anthills have started
appearing all over the lawn. I have been prodding these anthills with a
stick and dousing with water. However when I get rid of one nest another
appears.

What is the best solution, stamp on the anthill mound, will the mound
increase/decrease in size if left alone ?

Mike.

you have to soak the whole area to encorage the ants to leave, (which may
not be practical). The anthills are just spoil heaps thrown up by
underground activity though they will probably contain eggs and larvae as
well so stamping on them will have minimal effect on the ants.

best way to remove anthill IME is to wash it away with a hose otherwise you
end up with a compressed area of lawn with no grass.

Old 30-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Sheila Richards

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Paul Taylor wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 10:09:31 +0100, Willobie wrote:

Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater?

Green woodpeckers seem to love them. I saw one happily filling itself
up for about 10 minutes at an ants nest. What you need is a flock of
them to discover your garden. ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

Not just green woodpeckers - *all* woodpeckers - they are their staple

diet.
We have all three native species here in Buckinghamshire and they gorge
themselves.

I wish! We have them in the vicinity but I've never seen them in the
garden... We have the 'normal' garden birds but they never seem to eat our
pests - too well fed!

Willobie

Old 30-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Sheila Richards

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"Willobie" wrote in message
Does anything eat ants - apart from an ant-eater? Our entire garden

seems
be built on a series of ants' nests. They are invading my planters and

now
the bird table. I don't want to use poison so I'm hoping for a

predetor -
birds? - hedgehogs? - foxes? Any ideas?

You need to keep it wet where their nests are. Otherwise poison is your

only
hope.
Whats wrong with poison? You can buy little self-contained units that

ensure
only ants are affected.

--
Tumbleweed

Keeping it wet is impossible - we have a patio and rockery which both have
extreme draining. I don't want to use poison because the ants are
everywhere - I wouldn't mind them if we had a manageable number...

Willobie

Old 30-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Alan

wrote:

"Willobie" wrote in message
[...]

You been watching?

Most of us just remove the nests and the ants will go elsewhere,
presumably to your dump?
Old 30-04-2005, 09:55 PM
Alan

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 20:37:53 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from "Tumbleweed" contains these words:

I bet you convert lots of people to your POV with your persuasive wit and
repartee :-)

Please don't give trolls the kiss of life by re-quoting their KF'ed
garbage.

Janet

Trollop
Old 01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Tumbleweed

"Willobie" wrote in message
[...]

You dont spray that sort of poison everywhere, you put it in a few places,
in little containers so nothing else can enter, the idea is that the ants
carry it back to the nest where it kills the queen. However, in a garden if
its a large area you are probably wasting your time anyway, you'll just have
to put up with them if you arent prepared to spray it regularily with water
to keep it wet. Just hose off the mounds as they appear.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Tumbleweed

wrote:

"Willobie" wrote in message
[...]

You dig the entire nest up and take it elsewhere? Yeh right. Wellcome to my
killfile.