Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jeyes Fluid

Any have any experience of using Jeyes fliud to sterilse soil?
If seems pretty deadly stuff.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 01:05:55 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

Any have any experience of using Jeyes fliud to sterilse soil?
If seems pretty deadly stuff.

ISTR that some time ago the chemical composition of Jeyes was changed
because of some EU war on chemicals and became less effective on
things like moss.

In any event, it's no longer sold as a soil sterilant. AFAIK it hasn't
been banned as such by the Eurocraps but it's a case that the
manufacturers didn't want to fork out for the necessary licences and
so can't market it for that purpose.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:33:06 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

Bleach is the best and cheapest algaecide. If you remove the algae
with bleach enough will remain to prevent algae growing again. Take
precautions to prevent run-off.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 10-01-2012, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 12:42:00 +0100, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Any have any experience of using Jeyes fliud to sterilse soil?
If seems pretty deadly stuff.

ISTR that some time ago the chemical composition of Jeyes was changed
because of some EU war on chemicals and became less effective on
things like moss.

In any event, it's no longer sold as a soil sterilant. AFAIK it hasn't
been banned as such by the Eurocraps but it's a case that the
manufacturers didn't want to fork out for the necessary licences and
so can't market it for that purpose.

So it wasn't changed or was it?

It wasn't.
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Advi...ides/Chemicals

"² Armillatox and Jeyes Fluid remain on the market as disinfectants,
but they no longer are permitted to be used for pesticidal purposes."

Fortunately there will be no-one monitoring when you accidentally
spill some on a path, and that can easily happen if it's green and
slippery...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
Any have any experience of using Jeyes fliud to sterilse soil?
If seems pretty deadly stuff.

My neighbour used to wash the drive with Jeyes Fuid to disinfect it for her
dogs. It stank the place out !

Bill

Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:45:34 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
Any have any experience of using Jeyes fliud to sterilse soil?
If seems pretty deadly stuff.

My neighbour used to wash the drive with Jeyes Fuid to disinfect it for her
dogs. It stank the place out !

Bill

I don't know whether it's just my nose getting older and weaker but to
me the smell of Jeyes is not as strong as it was years ago. When I do
my annual pot cleaning job, I may have a big thing full of diluted
Jeyes standing by the shed for a couple of days but I don't notice the
smell until I get fairly close to it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I
have tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very
practical, so does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray
the area and also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have
got slippery surfaces.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/10/2012 7:49 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes
I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I
have tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very
practical, so does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray
the area and also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have
got slippery surfaces.

My mother used vinegar, but I haven't tried it myself.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:49:13 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake?

Moss doesn't like copper. A known method to keep moss at bay of roofs
is to attach a heavy copper wire along the ridge line. Enough copper
is erroded by rain to stop moss growing.

You'll still have to mechanically remove what is already there but a
regular wash down with a copper salt solution should stop it
returning. I'll leave it to the reader to find out which copper salt
is the most effective. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 11, 12:49*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes

I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I
have tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very
practical, so does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray
the area and also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have
got slippery surfaces.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Formaldehyde
I remember using it many, many years ago to clean a concrete drive of
algi and moss, not all that nice to use, but it worked.
David

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In article , Jake
writes
I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I
have tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very
practical, so does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray
the area and also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have
got slippery surfaces.

Last year I got some soluble sachet stuff from Homebase. Into a 5
litre sprayer and zapped the drive. Took two applications about a week
apart but there were 2 sachets in the pack.

Less work than bleach though I use that on paving.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Jake
writes
I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I have
tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very practical, so
does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray the area and
also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have got slippery
surfaces.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

I heard somwhere, sometime, that moss didn't like acid and clover didn't
like alkali. Somethng to do with lawns I suspect.

If this is true then the application of an appropriate chemical should do
the trick.

Bill

Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I heard somwhere, sometime, that moss didn't like acid and clover didn't
like alkali. Somethng to do with lawns I suspect.

I think that's the other way round? Moss thrives on acid soil, clover on
chalk.

Janet.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/01/2012 00:57, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/10/2012 7:49 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes
I find it next
to useless for removing algae from paving unless it's virtually neat.

So what would you use to kill moss on a tarmac driveway then jake? I
have tried a fair few things, boiling water works but not very
practical, so does bleach in water but it would be nice to blanket spray
the area and also the paving stones on the path in the garden that have
got slippery surfaces.

My mother used vinegar, but I haven't tried it myself.

The problem with any chemical is that the rain quickly washes it away
Old 11-01-2012, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I heard somwhere, sometime, that moss didn't like acid and clover didn't
like alkali. Somethng to do with lawns I suspect.

I think that's the other way round? Moss thrives on acid soil, clover on
chalk.

Janet.

I was half right on both occasions :-) :-)

Bill