Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

I wouldn't have thought
riding schools needed to fatten up their horses!

Hmmmmm. The Norman Thelwell Riding School...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Buzby

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

As another post has made clear, the legislation is only aimed at
those who stash HUGE, commercial-scale piles of horse-manure.It just
brings them into line with the run-off regulations already affecting
other commercial, housed animal stock. It's likely to *benefit*
gardeners because people with large liveries etc who previously left a
mountain of horse manure to rot, will now have to dispose of it..and our
gardens will be the legal place for them to do so.

Janet.

I was under the impression that gardeners wanted well rotted horse manure,
not the fresh stuff. People come from miles because our manure is a couple
of years old and they can put it straight onto their garden. It's free if
they fill their own bags or trailer or £1 to Cancer Research if they want
ready filled bags. What really annoys me is that I'm going to have to pay a
tax to store it on my own land, not that I have to put in concrete and
drainage. I run a small livery yard with 8 horses, one of them mine. The
easiest option for me is going to be to arrange for a contractor to take the
muck away, the cost of which I will have to pass onto my liveries. The
contractor will then probably sell it to gardeners at £40 a load. If the 8
horses were all mine the manure would be regarded as household waste and I
could continue to supply local gardeners. Why is the run off not a problem
if the horses are all mine or if gardeners spread/store it in their gardens?

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Sue

Old 04-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Anthony Anson

The message
from "Buzby" contains these words:

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Can you send me some as an e-mail attachment, please?

--
Tony http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

The only way to tell when a Finn is in love with you
is that they look at your feet instead of their own.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:29 AM
David Rance

In message , Buzby
writes

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Whereabouts do you live?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 05-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Buzby

"David Rance" wrote in message
In message , Buzby
writes

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Whereabouts do you live?

Hindhead, Surrey

Sue

David

Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
JB

On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:16:18 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , JB
writes
Quick question for any horsey types out there. How much manure does a
horse create? i.e. how many horses would you need to acquire a muck
heap weighing 1250 tonnes?

JB

The average horse produces nine tonnes of manure a year according to
Horse and Hound who reported the story in April at

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/63473.html

they said
"A muck heap of less than five tonnes will not incur a charge, but one
of between five and 50 tonnes will cost £252 for the first year and £174
thereafter, while 50-400 tonnes will cost £482 for the first year and
£402 each year after that"

Now I'm confused! (not that I wasn't before). In that article they
refer to the costs and then state "There may be exemptions on a
case-by-case basis, but individuals will have to speak to their local
Environment Agency" and defra's own web site explicitly mentions
storage of less than 1250 tonnes, composting use of manure for
agricultural benefit as allowing exemption. So where does the charge
for a 5 tonne muck heap arise?

JB

Old 05-05-2005, 12:29 PM
David Rance

In message , Buzby
writes

If anyone wants some well rotted (or fresh) horse manure, e-mail me before
it's taken away!

Whereabouts do you live?

Hindhead, Surrey

Mmm, a bit too far to be economical. I have only a smallish trailer.

David

Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Mike

Mmm, a bit too far to be economical. I have only a smallish trailer.

David

Does your car have a boot? and back seats? ;-)

Storing Manure Jane United Kingdom 3 04-07-2006 12:58 PM
[IBC] BONSAI Digest - 27 Jul 2005 to 28 Jul 2005 (#2005-208) [email protected] Bonsai 0 29-07-2005 01:25 PM
Storing manure? Jim W United Kingdom 4 30-04-2003 06:44 PM