Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Registered User

Angry Railway sleepers

Can anyone help please, i have made some raised planters in my back garden with old reclaimed railway sleepers. Being a bit of a novice i didnt realise in the sun they would leak tar and other nasty stuff, does anyone know of a way of sealing them, or any other way of masking the tar. I have thought about tiling over the bad bits with some cheap terracotta tiles but vant find an adhesive strong enough to do the job.......please someone help!!!!
Old 05-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertuphill
Can anyone help please
it only happens for the first year or so
Old 05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Chris Hogg

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:15:12 +0000, robertuphill
wrote:

Can anyone help please, i have made some raised planters in my back
garden with old reclaimed railway sleepers. Being a bit of a novice i
didnt realise in the sun they would leak tar and other nasty stuff,
does anyone know of a way of sealing them, or any other way of masking
the tar. I have thought about tiling over the bad bits with some cheap
terracotta tiles but vant find an adhesive strong enough to do the
job.......please someone help!!!!

How about nailing roofing slates to them. You may have to trim them to
size. Get second-hand ones from a reclamation yard and used galvanised
nails. Or even roofing felt, but less attractive.

--
Chris

Old 06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
sam-boy

I was involved in a job for a retirement home, where they wanted a
raised bed for wheelchair access.

Railway sleepers were the choice.

However 'real' railway sleepers are prohibited for this use, due to
the seepage of tar etc. The seepage last for years and years, not just
2. The tar residue can burn the skin, as can the old type of creoste
preservatives.

I now its a bit late, but you can buy new untreated sleepers.

Old 06-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Paul D.Smith

How well do untreated sleepers last?

Paul DS.